The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The 'Verse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> The 'Verse
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: The 'Verse Reply with quote

I love Firefly/Serenity. This was originally posted in a thread about adapting the Firefly-class ship to Star Wars, but I realized my reply in that post is about the 'Verse and not the ship, so here it is: Firefly/Serenity in the Star Wars galaxy...

Whill wrote:
shnar wrote:
He's said at one point a few systems close together, and one point he's said one system with many planets.

http://www.fireflyrpg.com/rpg/maps.html

Actually, it's both. The 'Verse is a trinary star system. Subjectively, you can think of it as a primary star with planets in orbit, and then a secondary star orbits the primary star far outside of the primary's planetary orbits. The inner planets of the primary star are the core or central planets. That secondary star also has planets orbiting it. All of the worlds on the show and in the movie are all worlds that orbit one of these two stars. There is a tertiary star that also orbits the primary star, far outside the system of the secondary star. That one hasn't been explored, and was probably just put there to make Joss' comment about "few systems" also true (few meaning at least 3, but defintely more than 2).

So anyway, the 'Verse is one trinary star system, which means it is one big system composed of 3 sub-systems. And like in Star Wars, many of the terraformed, earth-size worlds were actually moons of gas giants (Yavin, Endor, etc.).

I think if you wanted to adapt the 'Verse to Star Wars, you could add FTL and spread it out to a sector if you wanted. But not in my game. What modern astronomy is teaching us is that multi-star systems are actually very common in the universe, and actually single-star systems like our own is actually more the exception then the rule. They say that there are a great many star systems like Tatooine in the universe. But that binary star system is more like a single-star system, because the movies portray that the planet Tatooine orbits around both stars, which orbit around each other. When you think about it, the 'Verse is a very complex system, but not impossible.

In my game, the 'Verse is one mega-system near the edge of the galaxy, cut off from the Empire and the rest of the galaxy. It is the result of a long-lost human settlement from during Old Republic. It has the great multitude of terraformed worlds all in one (trinary) system, just like in Firefly/Serenity. They don't have FTL. And maybe the extreme local gravimetric forces/hyperspace shadows caused by the 3-star system and other intersteller phenomena prevent safe hyperdrive travel into and out of the 'Verse, so maybe that is why it has remained cut off from galactic society (well that and it's extreme remoteness).

Maybe some characters will have astrogation mishap and end up there? Maybe their hyperdrive is damaged and there are no replacement parts, so they have to carve out a living there for awhile. Maybe it will take a long sublight journey through the 'Verse and eventually heroic astrogation to get back to the galaxy proper? Or maybe the character have to intentionally brave the intersteller dangers and make heroic astrogation to get into the 'Verse for a specifc mission/purpose?

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Flynn
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:25 am    Post subject: Same here Reply with quote

I did the same thing, almost. I placed a multistar cluster on an out of the way part of Cabban Sector, site of my long-running campaign and labeled it "the 'Verse". I was going to file the serial numbers off, but basically the same- a non-ftl isolated human culture. Unfortunately it was so out of the way the PCs never had occasion to go there.
Sif
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea and just added a non-ftl system in to my universe.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: