The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Spacetrooper armour
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Spacetrooper armour Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: Spacetrooper armour Reply with quote

One thing never sat well with me, that being the design of space trooper armour. The idea is sound, but the implementation is ludicrous.
It’s ridiculously over bulky; I don’t understand how something that large could actually board a ship to capture it. Beyond that if we look at the design, there is no way that the thing could walk… there is no foot articulation or even ankle articulation for that matter.

On top of that…it just looks so silly, it’s supposed to inspire fear…not comedy.

So what do you guys think, have I missed something, or am I just being nitpicky?
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know... They were effective in "Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance"!!!

And a good comedy routine was in there as well. An homage to the Stormie hitting his head.

Only this one was explosively encouraged to do it. Laughing

I really liked that game. Only problem I had with it was that it seemed to cut off in the middle of the story, and the briefings seemed rushed for production. (But the actual *GAME* part worked without patches, so I forgive LucasArts up the wazoo for that!!!).
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you use the Zero-G to punch a hole in the hull, then there is no atmosphere or gravity, thus they can move around inside without haveing to walk. Just a quick thought.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would work...if they could fit in the halls of the ship.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either that or once they're inside they could just get out of the armour.

Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then what’s the point of putting all those great goodies on the armour?
And if they are only just going to get out of it...why have it in the first place? Why not just have some sort of ship attach its self to the hull and then deploy troops?

But as I said before, the idea of Spacetroopers is a good and cool idea, it’s just that the armour is poorly designed.
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I read up on the armour last night, and to my surprise there were a number of pics that went with it. In the pics it showed the legs actually do bend at the waist and knee, and in the description it states that they can walk along ship hulls. The pilot of the amour wears his stormtrooper armour, which plugs into the Zero-G armour, so in emergencies they can get out and make a hasty retreat.

Du Cass' Dream
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read that too.
Now look at those pictures again, do you think it’s feasible that those colossal, lumbering things could actually function inside a ship? Also it takes a bit more than just knee and hip articulation to walk let alone fight.

My whole point is not against the Spacetrooper itself, but the stupid looking poorly thought out armour that they wear, the stats are fine for the most part. It’s just the design that irks the hell out of me. There is no way that something like that could be an effective fighting machine, unless we all subscribe to the “every star wars author knows everything” mentality.
How could it fight, if it can barley move?
How can something that big even board a ship?
How could they use the technology with those stupid claws?
What’s the point of designing armour to be worn over armour that once they eject from they will just float away in space, or not be able to return to their ships?
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the armor is a little strange-looking, although it does kick butt. It kinda reminds me of that power loader thing from Aliens. It's so big and bulky, seems like it should have more than a -1D Dexterity penalty. Standard Stormtrooper armor reduces Dexterity by -1D, and the Spacetrooper Armor looks to be much more bulky and cumbersome. I suppose the Spacetrooper Armor is a powersuit, so the servos and such could make it more maneuverable... I can picture it being useful when out in space, but I can't imagine anyone moving around effectively inside of a ship while wearing that armor.

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the dex penalties with the spacetrooper armor would stack with the normal ones... at least that's my impression...

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think so too. So the spacetrooper would receive the -1D penalty for his standard Stormtrooper armor, plus the -1D penalty for his spacetrooper armor. Seeing how they only have 3D Dexterity, that would only leave them with 1D if they need to roll their Dexterity. I guess that seems realistic, leaving them near helpless to flounder around with the armor on. I agree Son, I can't picture anyone being able to fight in this suit. I picture it being used more in space combat, where they can actually fly around and use the weapons on the suit, almost using it like a starfighter or a vehicle more than a suit of armor.

The original RANCOR PIT archive

Last edited by Loc Taal on Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s exactly my point Loc!
Thank you!

I just noticed in the description of the troopers and their armour in the book I have with it, and it states that it “takes” space stations and ships, captures the crew etc. And I just can see that happening with something as badly designed as that.

Heck, even this is a better design.

http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/1999/10/news19991029_1.html

Though this is more along the lines I was thinking of.

http://swagonline.net/view.php?photo_id=12&screen=0&action=search&keyword=spacetrooper&date=&type=search
SaintBryan
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sidenote: i dont think anyone who has read any Kevin J Anderson star wars novels is going to use the
Quote:
“every star wars author knows everything”
mentality...

anywho.

about the spacetrooper moving around in side a ship, i think it's entirely fesable. If you have read Dark Force Rising by Timothy Zahn, you will recall a wrecked AT-PT in the hallway of one of the dreadnaughts. AT-PTs are 3 meters tall (although they can probably crouch and walk too). Im not sure how tall a spacetrooper suit is, but since it's DESIGNED to enter ships and blow the crew away, then I would assume theyre not too big.

and about the dex penalty, im sure they are very cumbersome. But then again, who needs dexterity when youre in such a huge suit of armor that you dont NEED to dodge.

About the design, I assume you're talking about this one:
http://www.galacticempiredatabank.com/Spacetrooper.html
Thats also the design they base the spacetroopers in X-wing Alliance on i believe.

I, however, like to pretend that this is what they really look like:
http://cargobay.starwars.com/webapps/cargobay/item-detail/7792/6443
it's not too different from the "official" design, looks cooler, and it's official enough for me.
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not read any of the novels, and from what I hear I’m not missing all that much.

As for the boarding thing, look at my post again they have no real ankle or foot articulation, which tends to put a damper on walking or any other mobility in an environment with gravity.
Also not every ship or space station is going to have halls of that size (if that is even an accurate figure, I tend not to put all that much stock in some authors). Supposed they wanted to board and capture the Falcon or some other smaller vessel. The design the way it is would hinder, not help in that process.

The second illustration in the second link is better than the official one, but I still like the one from SWAG better.

Even official literature tends to sway and make mistakes…such as the 5-mile long Executer, which we all know is an impossibility if we look at the films.
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't have a problem with think it could walk in the falcon chewie does he's a pair of meters tall and alot of races push the 2.5 mark easily with there horns and hammerheads and barbels... and so they left out an ankle servo... put one in we all know it needs one to work how hard is it to hinge there? not very. the drivers foot doesn't even get near the bottom anyways. and if it is gyro balanced, it might not need them... i tend to agree that it looks really bulky and big but that is how current suits are after all if i have a repulsor generator some proton torpedo's and stuff strapped to my back i'd want some bulk covering them.. and maybe the breach in the hull they make gets rid of gravity it would throw off the ships rotation that makes gravity. i just assume it works. but in the novels i haven't read one yet where one of these things is used inside a ship they are deployed and doing massive destruction to the surface of a capital scale ship with those mining machines of lando's
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: