The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New GM starting
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> New GM starting Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sif
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: New GM starting Reply with quote

New to the game and board, I thought I’d share where and when our game takes place. Here is the run down on where the players have found themselves and what I am currently doing to them as a GM.

Timeline: The game takes place ten years after the end of ROTJ and begins on Bespin with its new Baron Administrator “Gig Narl” (a haughty Ithorian with an addiction to luxury and wealth, and a secret relationship to the Hutts).

My take: Everything went down as all the movies say it did, accept for a few things I changed for the ending of ROTJ. Those changes make for a radically different take on where the universe has taken us ten years later.

My changes: Each change was applied with personal desires to rewrite history and charge my players with a darker future of Star Wars. The changes I have made in history only take place in what has now been dubbed “The Endor Incident”. The changes are-

1) Han, the Droids and the Princess sure DID get that shield down. Heck, if R2 was there, you know it turned out alright. Yeh, until they exited to find out that Ewoks had NO CHANCE of defeating trained Empirical forces under the personal lead of Vader’s command. Han, Leia, Chewy, R2 and 3Po all were captured. That’s right, once exiting the bunker the AT-ST that was waiting wasn’t being driven by no wookie. That’s when all five of THOSE rebels got captured by the Empire. Hey, at least they took them alive.

2) Luke DID find himself battling his father, and he really did give it his best try. But Yoda was right all along (he always is) “too old to start the training”. Vader kicked Luke’s sand collecting butt, and then destroyed him when he refused to turn to the dark side (bad career move kid). The Emperor was pleased, and Vader was a little bummed out. But hey, what was Vader to do!? Pick up a Sith Lord and throw him over a railing? Yeh right, like THAT would have worked.

3) Lando and the boys did manage to blow up the 2nd Death Star. WAY TO GO BOYS! But…he sure didn’t pilot himself out of there fast enough to ever brag about it. Yeh, he once owned the Falcon, but he is no Han Solo, and he surly didn’t have enough knowledge of the ship after its modifications. Once it was “go time” they never outran the boom and ended up being historic martyrs of the crushed Rebel alliance. Add that to the entire rebel fleet’s destruction that day and you got yourself one bad day to remember for as long as you’re allowed to live.

4) No dancing, no Ewok songs, no newly added CGI fireworks, nothing of that sort. Evil still reigns supreme and proudly dares any planet to test the strength of the Empire. Boo!

The Ten Year gap: The past ten years has been awful. Han was publicly executed on Coruscant, The Princess remains captive of the Empire, and the Rebel Alliance is now almost as forgotten as the old Jedi way.
Darth Vader, poor guy, actually did end up dieing. An entire universe of clones and rebels couldn’t kill him, but it seems “health” was an issue. News was, the guy was being kept alive by a medical system built into his suit! NO LIE, actually in the suit. I guess something popped, or snapped, or stopped beeping…end result is, he croaked. What a lame way to go Darth.

Anyways, that’s the universe they were left with. The Empire has tightened its grip on the throat of the universe and with no organized rebellion to overthrown them, looks like they may be running things for a few more movies.

Heh.

lucky for this GM, I’m with great players who thankfully haven’t read the books and don’t mind that I haven’t either, have endless Rancorpit information to guide the way and all the intent to pass this winter Star Warsing it UP! We are three games deep and having loads of fun with Gry's books (hail!) and all the info on these boards.

Its gunna be one long season of blasters and bad guys!

Still working on a title for this campaign, haven’t found one yet. Return of the Jediless Empire? Hmmmm.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting "Infinities" style setting, I like it. Nice and dark. Sounds like you guys have some good gaming ahead of you.

Point of interest, has Palpatine replaced Vader with a new apprentice, or have you thought that far into it yet?

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Sif
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed he has, but I have made it seem like he hasn't.

I've not only thought that far ahead but I've already got him on his own index card. His name is "Darth Stane" and he is not Vader's replacement . He is actually the 4th Darth after Vader.

In this future there is an every growing serge of darkness growing and those born towards the darkside are numbering more and more. Its not as hard to locate force sensitives these days, but its quality not quanity that you are looking for when trying to find a good Sith to mentor.

The problem for Palp's is that these new bloods don't have the promising skills of his late, great, motherless student. All three after Vader have died failing (or were killed for failing) and Darth Stane isn't cutting the mustard himself (he actually refused to slaughter younglins once! Sissy!)

The Emperor is looking for Stane's replacment, but for now he is all he can find to fit the bill. Stane knows he isn't winning no brownie points in his master's eyes and is secretly considering going rogue (SITHUGEE!)

But...the Sith are not on the player's radar as of now. They are dealing with more pressing issues; a small Rodian Mafia and collecting small bounties in Bespin.

Start small, send your players through the simple stuff while you build up an entire universe to hit them with later. Thats my goal here.

So yes...I got my Sith. And some plans for where that all leads.

THANKS for digging the Dark future attempt!!!
Esjs
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sif wrote:
The problem for Palp's is that these new bloods don't have the promising skills of his late, great, motherless student.

Did you mean "fatherless?" Sorry to nitpick, it was just something that caught my attention. 8)

"Esjs" == "Jess"
Sif
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, you are correct.

I messed up and meant "Fatherless".

Thanks!
DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sif wrote:
Indeed he has, but I have made it seem like he hasn't.

I've not only thought that far ahead but I've already got him on his own index card. His name is "Darth Stane" and he is not Vader's replacement . He is actually the 4th Darth after Vader.

In this future there is an every growing serge of darkness growing and those born towards the darkside are numbering more and more. Its not as hard to locate force sensitives these days, but its quality not quanity that you are looking for when trying to find a good Sith to mentor.

The problem for Palp's is that these new bloods don't have the promising skills of his late, great, motherless student. All three after Vader have died failing (or were killed for failing) and Darth Stane isn't cutting the mustard himself (he actually refused to slaughter younglins once! Sissy!)

The Emperor is looking for Stane's replacment, but for now he is all he can find to fit the bill. Stane knows he isn't winning no brownie points in his master's eyes and is secretly considering going rogue (SITHUGEE!)

But...the Sith are not on the player's radar as of now. They are dealing with more pressing issues; a small Rodian Mafia and collecting small bounties in Bespin.

Start small, send your players through the simple stuff while you build up an entire universe to hit them with later. Thats my goal here.

So yes...I got my Sith. And some plans for where that all leads.

THANKS for digging the Dark future attempt!!!

Just so you know, the sith are always only 2. One master and one apprentice because of Darth Bane, a sith lord 1000 years before the movies. He has the knowledge to create a Sith Holocronhttp://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sith_holocron Might be something interesting that one of your players might find, perhaps be tempted to the dark side? Or maybe they will turn it over to the empire for the right price?
"I believe the Jedi are weak so they give up their emotions. I believe the Sith are weak so they give up to their emotions. I lay somewhere in the middle, not afraid to keep my emotions, but afraid to lose myself in them." - Daroth Mortanis
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sif
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Law of Two" applis only to trained Sith, not "force sensitive people of the universe". When I say there has been 4 Darths, those are the people Palps trained.

Each one died in his or her own way, and failed the Empire's expectations.

Now, if Darth Stane went rogue, that would mean he would be hunted and he would be on the lamb.

If Palps "then" trained another, before killing Darth Stane, then it would be Palps that broke the "law of two"

Goiing to the light side is not an option for Stane, being a device of evil on his own would be more his goal. Enemy to light, and the Empire all the same.

There have been more then enough examples of Dark Side users and Sith who attempted this sort of thing...never really works out in the end for the one trying to break the "two law"

But...Stane is heading for death...one way or another in my games. He is to be more like a shooting star then a "long term NPC"

Thank you for the advice though. Very awesome to have the Star wars book-readers around. I didn't read them, but yknow, like most Star Wars geeks I have tried to keep aware of some of the major events, terms and ideals found in the books.

GAME ON!!!
Sif
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I "don't" understand is how there are so many Sith in these newer
CGI cartoons and video games. That female one in the clonewars, the evil Jedi in the new Star Wars darkside game.

I just assume that like all laws, rules and restrictions that have been inforced for over 1000 years, that younger evils tend to drift towards breaking those rules.

Again, I havn't read the books and I'm not sure if there has been others who broke the two-rule.

The female from the clone cartoon "may" have been the inbetween choice for student after Maul? If so, I guess she dies before Anny takes her place?

Whatever way you look at it, the story of Darth Vader having a secret Sith (the video game plot) sorta sucks. I just don't see Vader "cheating" on the Emp. That sly dog.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One can be a Dark Side Jedi without being Sith. The Sith are a particular school of Dark Side Force training, but not the only one.
Esjs
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sif wrote:
One thing I "don't" understand is how there are so many Sith in these newer
CGI cartoons and video games. That female one in the clonewars, the evil Jedi in the new Star Wars darkside game.

I just assume that like all laws, rules and restrictions that have been inforced for over 1000 years, that younger evils tend to drift towards breaking those rules.

Again, I havn't read the books and I'm not sure if there has been others who broke the two-rule.

The female from the clone cartoon "may" have been the inbetween choice for student after Maul? If so, I guess she dies before Anny takes her place?

Whatever way you look at it, the story of Darth Vader having a secret Sith (the video game plot) sorta sucks. I just don't see Vader "cheating" on the Emp. That sly dog.

Well, here's the pattern I've noticed:
Sure, you've got the Master and the Apprentice... but the Apprentice always seems greedy to be the Master. So the Apprentice will take on their own apprentice so that they have somebody call them "Master."

So, IIRC, Dooku takes on Asajj Ventress (but apparently, she is one of his Dark Acolytes) and Vader takes on Starkiller. Remember how upset Anakin was when the Jedi Counsel didn't grant him the rank of Master Jedi?

So that's my explanation for why there are all these "Darths" running around. I call it "superiority envy."

"Esjs" == "Jess"
Sif
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats how I see it as well.

Killing or screwing over your master is like passing your final exams in Sith world.

I fully understand there must be thousands of force sensitive people across the galaxy, if not more, both dark and light.

But the movies, games, cartoons ect, seem to show a lot of "Siths", ones trained in the art of the Sith. They work for, or with, the Emperor, yet they are allowed to be active Dark Siders.

I still won't accept that Darth Vader had a side project Sith in the shadows. Just seems like a dangerous and dumb move. Not to mention a "pulled from thin air" plot mechanic devised mainly to sell a video game.

Um...I think I'm babbling. O well. Its not everyhwere that you find people who love Star Wars.
Esjs
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sif wrote:
... a "pulled from thin air" plot mechanic devised mainly to sell a video game.

Bingo!

Trying to maintain a consistent Star Wars universe doesn't sell nearly as well as mayhem and destruction and cool new uses of a lightsaber.

"Esjs" == "Jess"
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sif wrote:
But the movies, games, cartoons ect, seem to show a lot of "Siths", ones trained in the art of the Sith. They work for, or with, the Emperor, yet they are allowed to be active Dark Siders.

There is a long history of this, and a lot of it is canon. Palpy had dozens of Dark Side adepts, acolytes, even masters under him... but only one at a time was allowed the title Darth; Maul, Tyrannus (Dooku), Vader. The others, Lumiya, Luke, Mara Jade, the Inquisitors, etc, were simply taught the ways of the Dark Side, not the secrets of the Sith... There is the way of harnessing negative energies to access the Force, and then there's the philosophies of the Sith leading to a higher state of being, free from self-imposed doubt, fear and personal connections.

Base goals of the Sith, at the end of the journey, are very similar to those of the Jedi; release from the needs and wants that tether the psyche to the suffering of normal life; an enlightened state (it's really quite similar to a sort of nirvana state, release from samsara in Buddhism). The only real difference is the journey to get there.

But yeah, the influx of these dark side users (who are not Sith, per ce) in the setting and video games is simply, as you mentioned, a ploy to increase sales with a neat new villain... nothing more.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Sif
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff.

I wasn't aware that there was that many Dark Siders under Palp's control (Sith or not), and I really enjoyed reading your post.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great resource for general Star Wars material, covering the books, comics, movies, games and everything else, is Wookieepedia. It's a tonne of fun to just bomb around following links and looking stuff up. Tonnes of great info, and the d6 books are used as source material for a lot of it [citation].

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: