The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Capital Ships and Docking Bays
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Capital Ships and Docking Bays
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Delkarnu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: Capital Ships and Docking Bays Reply with quote

One thing I can't seem to deduce on many ships on which Capital Ships have docking bays capable of holding a light freighter, or how much cargo capacity one needs to be converted to land ships in.

I am trying to choose a ship for a Pirate/Privateer to have just before Yavin that can have a light freighter land in for one of my campaigns, but can't seem to find this in any of the books.
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because they never mentioned it in the books. I would figure that a vessel that can hold a shuttle/lander would most likely not be able to land itself. This means that a larger vessel would be chosen to fit the criteria. I would say a Class C frigate would work nicely as it is an older ship (replaced by the Nebulon-B) and can easily be found in the galaxy.
KierlanVass
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mon calmari cruisers in the Return of a Jedi holds the Falcon and several other ships with ease. Maybe there is something in between.... I saw something online with a Corellian Corvette that had been converted to hold a hangar bay. Maybe something like that could hold a freighter?

Or maybe one of those Gallofree (sp) transports?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Capital Ships and Docking Bays Reply with quote

Delkarnu wrote:
One thing I can't seem to deduce on many ships on which Capital Ships have docking bays capable of holding a light freighter, or how much cargo capacity one needs to be converted to land ships in.

I am trying to choose a ship for a Pirate/Privateer to have just before Yavin that can have a light freighter land in for one of my campaigns, but can't seem to find this in any of the books.

There's always the possibility of a ship fitted with docking tubes and/or clamps in-lieu of a big hanger. A specific ship I plan steal and change a bit for a planed campain of mine is the FarStar from the DarkStryder Campain from WEG, it has BOTH Docking tubes and a hanger bay and is a modified coreelian corvette, it may serve your purposes with a few tweaks. Another is the Elrood Prosperity Cruiser in the Star Wars Planets Collection it I thinks has two hangers for fighters (Id say each can hold a squadron of snubbies, plus a shuttle/light frieghter or two) and/or shuttles AND can land on a Planet to boot too, But it does have a short range for a capital sized ship....
FightingCorsair
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure some of the massive ore haulers would have the room.

Try to visually compare the capital ship with modern US aircraft carriers. You could likely fit a Falcon-sized light freighter on the USS Nimitz (332.8 metres).

I'd say anything over 300 metres that has sufficient girth should work fine. Over 600 metres you'd be golden.

The Nebulon-B is around 350 metres but it's way too spindly to contain a freighter (Empire Strike Back closing scenes)
Space Coyote
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of the Bulk Cruiser from the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook--it's not a great ship by any means, but its uniquely Star Wars profile appeals to me.

They're clunky old ships that are probably cheap even for the Alliance, are probably easy to get around the time of the Battle of Yavin, and the sourcebook says that some are converted to carrier designs for up to three fighter squadrons, and have exterior docking for standard transports. But I figure, what the hey?, anywhere you can fit a fighter squadron, you can probably fit four small shuttles or two light freighters.

And, of course, whenever ships are being converted from their original designs, they can get converted in all kinds of ways, including one-of-a-kind ways. As long as it's believable, you can make your privateer out of anything.
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there are deckplans of the Corellian Action IV Bulk Transport floating around. I know those have been used several times to carry freighters.

Omze's Incredible Travelling Starport from Platt's Starport Guide is a converted Bulk Freighter. It has a hangar bay in it.

Talon Karrde's "flagship" was an Action IV Transport that carried snub fighters and his light freighter.

If you can find the deckplans and use the measurements given for length of ships, it's actually quite easy (and fun) to tinker with the innards of starships on paper. And then make those modifications in-game.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the proper equipment, even the largest capital ships can set down on a planet and subsequently launch again. I'm specifically thinking of the Lusankya here. Granted, that was insanely resource intensive, but with that in mind, a docking cradle for a Nebulon-B probably isn't out of the question at some of the larger spaceports.
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try an HT2200 you can convert two of it's cargo bays into a launch deck capable of holding one fighter. As the HT2200 has 4 cargo bays that's 2 fighters and launch decks.

Hope this helped.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: