The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ship Design, Attempt number 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Ship Design, Attempt number 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KierlanVass
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Ship Design, Attempt number 2 Reply with quote

Hey there,
I have been working on another ship design, this time inspired by the ships of the old republic. I had started to work on something that was a cross between the falcon, a tie fighter and the ship that was in that 1980's cartoon rip of of star wars. (those are the smaller sketches at the bottom). Then after looking over some my old comics i found this....

and made this...

The idea here is something like a fast raider, larger than a starfighter but not as large as say a tramp frieghter. There is enough room for a pilot to live, but the idea is short raids or missions, perfect for piracy or blockade running. My vision was also that a boarding party could all crowd into the entry area and then disembark either on land, or through a hatch on teh bottom for space combat.

I wasn't sure what to do with the right side of the ship, hence the escape pod, which would be useless if more than a few people are on board. The other side to that was that if a Jedi or diplomat was using the ship, they would be important enough to want to save. The next run will see the escape pod (or whatever it ends up being) being larger and the crew quarters being larger too, providing bunks for a multiple passenger configuration or a 1 bedroom area for single users.

stats are on the way.

Comments and suggestions are definitely appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
YodaWI
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. When you label the lasers, what kind are you thinking? I am assuming the turret is a quad laser turret.

If it is going to be a blockade runner or a pirate vessel, maybe a sensor jammer array would come in handy.
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have alot of spare time. Cool.
KierlanVass
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the comments so far...

The lasers on the front are probably going to be simple, as is the top mounted turret, more like a dual gun rather than quads. I tend to favour less power in the weapons to make it more about flying it rather than cruising for optimal shooting abilities. However, I think that this is probably a ship that can be chopped and changed depending on the needs of the owner - a larger gun could be installed at the cost of something else that requires the same power source, like engines or shields.

I guess i do have some time on my hands. I have been toying around with this particular design for about 10 years now, just never having got it right. About 6 years ago, I had the design and a detailed deck plan mapped out (work was really boring around that time Smile) but accidently deleted it before I had a chance to email it to myself. It was also an accident that I went back to read one of the old republic comics and noticed the front end of the ship. The whole process took about an hour in total. I have a harder time getting my scanner to work and getting the stats right .
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: