The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Conversions - The Clone Wars Campaign Guide
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Conversions - The Clone Wars Campaign Guide Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Conversions - The Clone Wars Campaign Guide Reply with quote

Seeing as I have some days off, I'm going through this book with a passion, converting things to D6. I'm almost done with starships, vehicles, aliens and creatures...

If anyone would like to give me a hand with weapons, equipment, force powers and droids, they are most welcome.

Right now I'm looking at the Malevolence (Subjugator-class Heavy Cruiser), and I'd appreciate some feedback on how to handle its super ion weapon.

This is what I have so far:
Quote:
2 Ion Pulse Cannons
Fire Arc: 1 left, 1 right
Fire Rate: 1/4
Crew: 1
Skill: Capital ship gunnery
Fire Control: 1D
Space Range: 5-20/50/110
Atmosphere Range: 5-50/100/300 km
Damage: 16D

The things that is really missing is how to deal with its "blast radius" effect. The book says that all ships within "5 squares" (about 10 space units, I take) of the weapon are targeted, but I find that a bit simplistic...
Oh, and I hate that Crew rating of 1, but that's what's listed...
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that is one mean gun. You might want to think of it as a very wide angle beam or cone shaped blast, still that with fire power of that magnitude i cant see any ship with powerful enough generators to power even one let alone two.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's really the point. This is a superweapon. From what we saw, if it hits you, you're a gonner, doesn't matter if you're a Y-Wing or a Venator Star Destroyer. That's why I think it's important to establish the mechanics by which you might attempt to get out of its destructive path, the only way to avoid becoming dead in space. One thing that sprung to mind was the Deck Sweeper hand blaster, but I'm not sure how to translate it into a space battle...
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to look at this thing when I get my hands on a copy of the book. This thing is just too powerful a gun. I mean, the 1/4 fire rate helps. But it really doesn't explain why they weren't able to resurrect a couple of these during the rebellion, and neutralize a fleet of star destroyers.

Personally, I think that some of the accuracy of the conversion may have to be sacrificed for game balance.
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This gun will work best as a plot device and thus it operates on plot device physics, i belive it was originaly introduced as a plot device, am i being to subtle with my theme.

Oh it's massive power might mean it was made of the super material plot-deviceum.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to clarify, I'm not digging the ship, but I'm not saying anything about your conversion itself, Gry. I'm going to reserve any final judgment until I can actually see the ship in the book in its proper context.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, would suggest junking a direct conversion. That damage alone is ridiculous. As cheshire said, it's not your fault Gry, it's just the stats that you're converting from are faulty so the conversion suffers.

If I were you, I would drop the damage to maybe around that of the Planetary Defender, which is also Capital scale. Keep the delay on there. And then use the radius of "all ships within 5 Space units of the point of target. That gives you five to the right and left (above and below too if you use 3-D) which covers the 10 you were talking about. Still an enormously powerful weapon, but not quite the ridiculous nature that it is right now.

And if you find the crew outright silly, which I do as well....then change it! Direct conversion of things that are outlandish can break the "balance" of something as quickly as creating something outlandish on your own. If it makes more sense, which it certainly does, to have a crew of more than 1 for the weapon, then write it in. If it irks you because you're "converting" it, then put in a little * and say that "changes were made to reflect a more reasonable set of stats for this item than what a direct conversion would provide".
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback. Yeah, I'll surely change that crew rating, to something with two figures. The stat block I posted is not my final assesment of this weapon's conversion, it's just the result of direct conversion so you guys could get a taste for what's written in the book. Of course it needs to be processed a bit.

However, I don't think the damage is ludicrous, this is a superweapon, after all. With all the flamboyancy and fallibility of one. The Eclipse Star Destroyer, only over twice the size of this one, has a Superlaser that does 8D Death Star Scale damage! That's 20D Capital Scale. So, seeing as this Ion weapons has been shown to reliably disable Star Destroyers with a single shot, I feel its damage shoud be close to that of the Alliance's Anti-Orbital Ion Cannon from TESB (12D).
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so this is a rather unique ship rather than being one of several thousand in the fleet? That would make more sense why it would be so high. Yet another reason why I want to see the book.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it's true the Eclipse had the super laser, it was a front line fire weapon only. And it didn't "splash" with it's effect. This ion weapon is actually substantially more powerful than the superlaser. 16D ion damage that ignores the shields is actually more potent of a weapon than a 20D (capital) weapon that has to contend with the shields of the ships. Plus, the superlaser affects one ship at a time. This ion weapon has the ability to affect literally dozens of ships all at the same time. A "blast" radius of 10, even one of 5, that affects every ship with 16D ion damage will leave entire FLEETS disabled in one shot.

The V-150 Planetary Defender has 12D damage and is stuck on a planet because it takes such a large area to house the power generator. It affects only one target at a time. It was pretty effective against a Star Destroyer! The new "super weapon" is 25% better than the Planetary Defender in damage, and it affects an enourmously large area with that better damage. Plus, there are TWO of them on this ship. Superweapon or not, that's ridiculous. That's like saying the Eclipse should have had 5 turreted superlasers on it so it could fire in any direction.
obidancer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with LostBoy on this one.
The Malovence's ion cannons can disable a fleet in one shot. Well the Death Star can destroy an entire planet with one shot, and if my memory is correct, can't the Suncrusher destroy an entire system with a shot?

So is the life and purpose of a Super-Weapon. Comparing it to heavy and powerful artillerie weapons doesn't make sense, it's just not the same class or use.

Super-Weapon: One-of-a-kind (ok, or two maybe... with a little brother somewhere), uber super powerfull device that destroy lots and and important things so to urge the heroes to come and destroy it as fast as possible.

I'd say we don't even need dice, but since WEG did for the SuperLaser, we can do it for the SuperIon Cannon; let's keep it uber super powerful so the heroes WILL rush to destroy it... oh, Anakin did it already? darn.
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not make it a Death Star scale ion weapon with similar rules to a superlaser as far as total output and energy generation?
jmanski

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The book says that all ships within "5 squares" (about 10 space units, I take) of the weapon are targeted

Perhaps some clarification? Does this mean within 10 space units of the ship? Or the first 10 space units of its range? Maybe just tweaking the language can better balance this weapon?
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Conversions - The Clone Wars Campaign Guide Reply with quote

Quote:

Quote:
2 Ion Pulse Cannons
Fire Arc: 1 left, 1 right
Fire Rate: 1/4
Crew: 1
Skill: Capital ship gunnery
Fire Control: 1D
Space Range: 5-20/50/110
Atmosphere Range: 5-50/100/300 km
Damage: 16D

The things that is really missing is how to deal with its "blast radius" effect. The book says that all ships within "5 squares" (about 10 space units, I take) of the weapon are targeted, but I find that a bit simplistic...
Oh, and I hate that Crew rating of 1, but that's what's listed...

Okay, after looking at this thing in context, it looks like it's designed to be a plot-device kind of weapon. It's a unique ship, and a unique weapon. If Gry were to have converted the Death Star, and none of us had ever seen the movie before, we would cry out in one loud unanimous voice that the thing is WAAAY overpowered, and characters should never be able to get their hands on this.

What I'm looking at looks like characters are NOT designed to get their hands on this.

Has anyone seen the cartoon that this thing came out of, and can they tell me which episode? Perhaps I can go back and take a look at this thing in action as well.

The only things that look a little wonky are 1) that there are two of them in the conversion, and the text leads me to believe that there may have only been one on the ship, and 2) how to deal with the blast radius. 3) The damage code may still need a bit of work for a direct conversion.

The damage is still a conundrum for me. Correct me if I'm wrong Gry, but when we see a 4d6X3, or a 5d8X5, we usually ignore the x5 or x3, and just go with the number just before the die code. This ship is listed as a 9d10x10. That would give us a pretty hefty 9D damage. With a blast radius, it's still a pretty significant weapon. Though, on the other hand, they usually don't have a multiplier greater than x2 or x4. Hrm... This is a puzzler.

I'm still thinking about part 2.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: