The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What's your Star Wars Universe?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> What's your Star Wars Universe? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre-Special Edition original trilogy. My canon does include EU stuff up to where the publisher switched and they killed off Chewie (this does include things like the Dark Horse Tales of the Jedi and Dark Empire comics, etc). I never read that book or past that point. No prequels, and nothing related to them.

Basically, canon as it was when original WEG was still producing books for Star Wars. The EU doesn't matter to my game, though, because I prefer to play in the original trilogy era, our last campaign took place between ANH and ESB. It's a big galaxy, though, and we stick to the Fringe mostly, so there aren't a whole lot of conflicts with canon, except where I throw in little touches for fun.
Chandra Mindarass
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I pretty much just posted about this in another thread, but I could elaborate:

Han shot first. I use only the original trilogy as absolute truth, while the prequels are just "the way, the story is told."

Midichlorians are a way of testing for Force-sensitivity, but they do not cause them or talk to anyone. They just indicate, that the tested subject is sensitive.

C-3PO was NOT built on Tatooine by Anakin Skywalker, nor has he ever been there. Those lame jokes involving him dancing around in the Battle of Geonosis, unnecessary "feeling helpless" and memory wipes ruin the prequels more, than any Gungan ever could. Besides, I really like Gungans.

A Yuuzhan Vong is a drink in my campaign. It does walker-scale damage.

While I like the way the galaxy is portrayed in some of the post-civil war material, such as the Thrawn-trilogy or the Jedi Knight games, I will head into an Infinites campaign immediately after the Battle of Endor. I just don't want to mess with source material, that I don't like.

>-q=p---
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Original Trilogy movies, before Special Edition = Primary Paradigm (perhaps minus Chewie's Tarzan yell, and the Ewoks were tougher than portrayed on camera).
2. Original Trilogy books, where they do not contradict #1.
3. Radio Dramatizations, where they do not contradict #1 or #2.
4. Original Han Solo books (Brian Daley), with a grain of salt.

Otherwise, elements of the Prequels, but the Prequel movies are only distorted recollections from someone's "point of view". I really think GL dropped the ball on these - they just don't have the original trilogy feel, they're too CG-dominated (don't have that weathered, tangible feel of the original trilogy), and there are way too many blatant contradictions and unbelievable coincidences (3PO built by Anakin, Anakin destroying the ship in TPM by accident, etc.). Midichlo-what? Jar who? Give me a break!

I'm also not convinced that Yoda, or any Jedi Master, needed a lightsaber. Yoda's "super-ball" jumping seemed to cheapen his character to, in my opinion. I liked how Yoda dealt with Ventress at the end of the first "Ambush" episode in The Clone Wars tv series - seems more in line with what a Jedi Master could do.

Then, pick and choose from WEG materials. Everything else is pretty much random stuff that every sci fi writer in the country decided to throw together on paper. It's not Star Wars.

That's my opinion. Good thread topic!
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*nods* I have to agree, I take the prequels and the clone wars cartoons as legends that have been told so many times they now only resemble what actually happened.

The original trilogy is basically unfolding as it's being told so it's what happened and the remastered edition is after a little retelling

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Esoomian.

The Clone Wars cartoon has its moments (and in its defense, it's targeted for a younger audience - sort of), but Star Wars, since the originals, has become mired down a little in its own weight of the EU. Ever since Lucas decided to conform with the EU (at least in part) in the prequels (i.e. the silly Jedi Council from the Zahn books - the antiseptic, CG chamber is in such stark contrast to the natural, earthy feel of Dagobah in ESB, where Yoda chose to reside), there's been increasing pressure to follow every element of the EU - or at least much of it. While consistency and continuity is good, if you're being consistently dumb, it's not good.

So I think sticking with the original trilogy makes sense - the rest is open for interpretation since Lucas lost his mojo.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should probably qualify that by saying that there's a lot of EU material that I haven't read - maybe there's some good stuff out there that I'm not aware of. I've enjoyed several episodes of The Clone Wars, and even the Prequels had their moments.

And since noone's spoken up for the Ewok Movies yet, I better voice my strong vote for those! Yes, I'm kidding - although I guess I'm about the only person that thinks Noa's ship was kind of cool. Someday someone with throw together some d6 stats for it! I did hit my head often while I was growing up, so maybe that has something to do with my obsession with it. Gunda!
Chandra Mindarass
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I get kicked off the board, when I say that I use a lot of Ewoks movie stuff in my games? That fuzzy white creature, that moves like lightning. I made an NPC "co-pilot" of that species. Oh, the havoc it caused in Mos Espa! Twisted Evil

Noah's ship is cool

>-q=p---
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks (or as the Ewoks would say, Teeha!), Chandra. I was able to look at myself in the mirror this morning without putting my head down in shame. At least until I remembered my fascination with the circus acrobats in the Holiday Special.

What move # did you assign to your Teek? I don't think I've ever seen an official set of stats for that species.

Long live the Ewoks!!!
Er, sort of.
Chandra Mindarass
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teek, that was his name! As long as I'm game-mastering in the Star Wars universe, I usually take it easy on the rules. Jeggle - that was the NPC's name - is probably somewhere north of 30 base move, but I decided that only if the characters came up with a good idea, they'd be able to catch him.

>-q=p---
Kilgore
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am about to start a Post ROTJ campaign and my universe consists of All the 6 movies with a few changes.

Most of the EU that I know about is rubbish in my oppinion and a have a strong dislike towards the whole Thrawn trilogy as it was written before the Prequels and clashes to much with the Prequels.
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilgore wrote:
I am about to start a Post ROTJ campaign and my universe consists of All the 6 movies with a few changes.

Most of the EU that I know about is rubbish in my oppinion and a have a strong dislike towards the whole Thrawn trilogy as it was written before the Prequels and clashes to much with the Prequels.
I'm just curious, it's been awhile since I've read the Thrawn trilogy but I don't remember anything in particular that clashed. What was it that you didn't like?
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MA-3PO wrote:
I'm just curious, it's been awhile since I've read the Thrawn trilogy but I don't remember anything in particular that clashed. What was it that you didn't like?

I think it was the entire premise of cloning. Just in case someone hasn't read it, possible spoilers may follow:

The Thrawn trilogy tried to establish that the Emperor himself had set up the Spaarti cloning chambers in his Mount Tantiss facility. and that due to "Force resonance" any clone would eventually be driven insane. The solution involved having the Ysalamiri negate the Force around the cloning facility, making true clones viable.

It also tried to establish the droid distrust came from the slaving of the Black Fleet systems and the ships being lost in deep space.

Both of these concepts were completely destroyed by the Prequels. The Kaminoans were established as the cloners. They are master cloners who can do so without any ill effects. Droid distrust and hatred is a result of the Separatists using droids as their main soldier/weapon of choice.
Kilgore
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cloning of Force users.

The Katana fleet consisting of 200 hopelessly outdated ships compared to what we see in the PT.

A Grand Admiral that came out of nowhere who was almost superhuman in his ability to defeat almost any enemy through knowledge of their art.

Things (creatures) that are able to negate use of the Force.

Those are the things that spring to mind.
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rerun941 wrote:
MA-3PO wrote:

I think it was the entire premise of cloning. Just in case someone hasn't read it, possible spoilers may follow:

The Thrawn trilogy tried to establish that the Emperor himself had set up the Spaarti cloning chambers in his Mount Tantiss facility. and that due to "Force resonance" any clone would eventually be driven insane. The solution involved having the Ysalamiri negate the Force around the cloning facility, making true clones viable.

It also tried to establish the droid distrust came from the slaving of the Black Fleet systems and the ships being lost in deep space.

Both of these concepts were completely destroyed by the Prequels. The Kaminoans were established as the cloners. They are master cloners who can do so without any ill effects. Droid distrust and hatred is a result of the Separatists using droids as their main soldier/weapon of choice.
The droid thing never really bothered me. There could be many reasons people don't like droids. Clone Wars, Katana Fleet debacle, automated labor creating unemployment, etc...

As for the cloning, I remember it being explained somewhere that there were several cloning techniques known throughout the galaxy. The Kaminoan technique was just the safest and most effective. The Spaarti technique was much faster, but the clones would end up crazy eventually. I think another advantage to the Spaarti technique was that anyone could do it as long as they had the cylinders. Only the Kaminoans could produce clones using the Kaminoan technique because they were masters at cloning. If I remember correctly, the Seperatists tried to produce thier own clone army of Nikto Morgukai warriars using Spaarti cylinders. The Republic found out about it and shut it down before a sizable number could be produced.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilgore wrote:

Funny, one of my main problems with the prequels is that they clash with the Thrawn trilogy, which in my opinion, is far superior. Zahn is a decent writer. Lucas is not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 2 of 19

Jump to: