The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Power Levels of the Adventures
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Power Levels of the Adventures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AWAD
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Power Levels of the Adventures Reply with quote

Hello fellow GMs,

I have started to run again, some of it free from and others from premade adventure books. I use to remember (1990 and earlier) 5D was respectable skill, 6D really good and 7D was killer.

But is seems to me in the later books, like Instant Adventures the power level moved up. Does anyone agree? Also some of the source books seem to do this.

There was one intro battle in which the generic pirates had 5D+2 Blaster. Holy carp Batfish, Old Stormies had 3D maybe 4D.

Also I saw a lot more targets of moderate and difficult in many rolls like Streetwise and Security.

Then you get online and see a Battle Droid with a 7D blaster!!!!????

So for a starting 7D created character what do you consider to be an average blaster skill for a generic thug? Medium level villain? Toadie to the Emperor?

Of course you can make is all relative and balanced but want to get your feel and advise.

Many thanks in advance for ideas as assistance.

AWAD
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running a military campaign right now. Starting Blaster for our folks is between 5d-6d.

Yeah, 5d+2 seems high for a pirate's blaster, but a Stormie with 4 blaster just can't hit much. I've had to pump up bad guy NPCs even against lower level PCs. Remember that with 5d+2 the average roll is 19-20. That sounds pretty good until the pirate starts taking MAPs. And if your PC is smart at all and takes cover...
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The person who assigned 7D Blaster to a Battle Droid must be completely out of his mind. BD are cannon fodder, worse than rookie Stormies.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to me 7d is not that outrageous. A starting character can get that. As for pirates getting 5d+2, i think that is just about right.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

power levels are easy to adjust to in my mind (more people or better opponents).

the hard part is when one player is more powerful / more powerful in one area, and everyone else is weak in that area.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how long your campaign has been going as to whether or not 7D is outrageous. If you've got a Jedi campaign that's been going for a year and a half, then it's probably a sufficient challenge. If you've been running a smuggler campaign for two months, then it's outrageous.

I think folks like Jodo Kast and IG-88 had blaster skills of 7D and 8D, but those, of course, were galactic level bounty hunters.

The instant adventures were made for GMs looking for quick ideas to throw into a larger campaign and seemed to assume that you've been running your game for a while.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter how experienced your players are, 7D for a Battle Droid is outrageous. As we've seen time and again, they are the worse soldiers in the galaxy. If you need a greater threat to your players, throw a big bunch of them, or more advanced models such as Super Battle Droids, Droideka, Assassin Droids, Commando Droids, etc.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, for a battle droid, of course, it's the most ludicrous thing I've never seen. There's no way that a battle droid is as good a shot as a galactic class bounty hunter.
jmanski

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, battle droids should be weak. 3d or 4d blaster is fine for those pieces of ..... junk.
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A high performance assassin droid like the HK series maybe but not a rank and file battle droid.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a scale of relative skill ratings in the rule book. Most "professionals" seem to be around the 4D level, and by 7D the character is hiting into the "best in the ...." range.

The 7D battledroids (and 6D+ Clone Troopers) seem to take the view that these things are supposed to be much better than beginning PCs (who can easily hit 5D, and 6D).

But frankly, the films and TV series just don't support this level of aptitude. If BDs were that good, the Jedi wouldn't have been able to slice though ranks of them and still make their parry rolls.

One difficulty that GMs have in SW d6 is that as the PCs improve, "average" foes like battledroids and stormtroopers end up as little more than "bantha fodder".

Personally, rather than making all the foes expert marksmen, I'd rather toss a few skilled leaders, backed up with a lot of fodder.

A bunch of Pirates with 4D blaster following a Pirate Captain with Command 7D, is more believable, and capable of some 6D+1 combined attacks. Give these guys a few grenades and they become much more formidable that a goup with Blaster 5D+2.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
No matter how experienced your players are, 7D for a Battle Droid is outrageous. As we've seen time and again, they are the worse soldiers in the galaxy. If you need a greater threat to your players, throw a big bunch of them, or more advanced models such as Super Battle Droids, Droideka, Assassin Droids, Commando Droids, etc.

Exactly. You might be able scale pirate skill dice depending on the skill level of the PCs, but if facing standard battles droids you change to a more challenging opponent, or at least add more standard battles droids.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Delkarnu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
or at least add more standard battles droids.

battle droids(like stormtroopers) get their effectiveness through numbers, not just skill. I'd say they get to combine their actions very easily (possibly without needing a command roll at all). Add 1D to the roll for every 3 in the group, so a group of 12 battle droids, get to roll at 4D over their base skill, so 4D blaster droids can suddenly shoot at 8D, or use it to add some damage and shoot you at 6D and get +2D to damage.

As your players get more powerful, they can face larger groups
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: