The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Conversion - Jedi Academy Training Manual
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Conversion - Jedi Academy Training Manual Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
When you have the (A) Medicine skill, first aid rolls add in whatever D you have in medicine. That's why I figured it could work, because it's just impractical learning a specialization after the first few sessions.

That is only if you are using first aid. When using medicine on its own, you roll only the (A) skill. which is how i see the fighting styles. An advanced form of the basic lightsaber skill.
Quote:

Channel Energy
Converted from: Control talent Channel Energy
Prerequisites: absorb/dissipate energy
Effect: Instead of negating the damage you would have gotten from an energy attack, you can channel the absorbed energy and augment your Force abilities.
After making a successful Control roll to absorb the energy attack, the Jedi can make another Control roll with the -2D penalty for performing multiple actions in one round. If successful, the Jedi can take the damage die from the attack and split it amongst his Force die code for a certain amount of time.
Note: Using this power would allow someone from the Horn/Halcyon family line to perform telekinesis or other telekinetic abilities.
Appeared in: I, Jedi
Example: Corran learned this power and used it to channel the heat from the boiling water and bolster his limited telekinetic abilities in order to lift Tionne out of the pool in I, Jedi.

I like this power.. Great conversion but lacks the difficulty to activate it.

Quote:
Lightsaber combat allows a Jedi to control a lightsaber safely. Would this work with two lightsabers or a saberstaff (Darth Maul’s and Bastila Shan’s lightsabers)? Since the training to wield two lightsabers or a saberstaff would be different than the training for a lightsaber, perhaps they should each have a power associated with them so that the Jedi can wield the weapons safely. Say dual lightsaber combat and saberstaff combat respectively, and lightsaber combat would be a prerequisite for each.

I am in agreement there, each style (single, twin, staff etc) should require its own force power.

Quote:
A Jedi making a lightning bolt strike an enemy with just enough electricity to knock the enemy unconscious and not a lethal amount of damage - that would be walking the line. The Jedi intended to strike the adversary with lightning, but he "pulled his punch", so as to speak, and opted to knock out adversary. The adversary would be in pain upon regaining conscious, but wouldn't suffer any permanent damage. DSP? GM's call.

I doubt a jedi would be able to know how much punch to put into a called l/bolt from the sky to avoid killing. I see it more of him (or her) pulling die off their damage pool before rolling.

Quote:
My personal thought is that, since this is all CONVERSION to WEG D6 Star Wars, that the conversions follow the WEG pattern rather than the new EU pattern. Unless the desire is to completely revamp the entire Force system as designed and used in D6 Star Wars, there's got to be a basis for everything. Sticking with the direct conversions and incorporating the new take on the Force simply confuses and dilutes the original WEG established way the Force works.

I am with ya there grimmy.

Quote:
Grenade Defense
Alter Difficulty: Easy plus versus missile weapons or grenade roll.
Required Powers: Danger sense, life detection, combat sense, telekinesis
Effect: This power allows the Force user to stretch out through the force to telekinetically defend himself against an incoming grenade. When an opponent makes an attack with a missile weapon or grenade, the Force user reaches out with his power and attempts to knock the explosive off of its intended course. In game terms, grenade defense allows a Force user to use his alter roll against an attackers grenades or missile weapons roll as a reaction skill. This differs from telekinesis as telekinesis cannot be used as a reaction skill. Once an attacking character makes a grenade or missile weapons skill roll, the gamemaster adds that number to an Easy difficulty to determine the difficulty number for the alter roll. If the Force user’s roll is successful, then the grenade is deflected off course. The gamemaster may use the grenade scatter diagram to determine its new path. If the character beats the difficulty by 10 or more, then the grenade or missile is directed back at the attacker.
Source: Jedi Academy Training Manual (page 14)

Cheshire, imo that should have at least a moderate diff PLUS multiple action penalties associated with keeping the power up, which then allows you to roll TK to deflect it, rather than just this power.
AND i would limit it to grenades and missiles coming in he can see in front of him.
IE someone in his rear lobs a grenade, no deflecting. 2 people on his fringe of vision (sides), deflect can be done, but at -2D, one for each use of TK and one for having this power up.

Quote:
This is a great example of what I think of many, many of these Saga powers, talents or whatever. It is just a very specific use of force power we already have, and therefore it doesn't need converting. To cast aside a grenade thrown at you, all any honest Jedi needs is Telekinesis. And if you want to make sure you're able to do it before it blows up in your face, you would do well to have Danger Sense activated. That's it. Clean and simple.

This is imo different in it is not requireing danger sense up. BUT i do see your point and can agree with it.

[quote]Sorry about the delay, guys. Here you go, the final version of the: /quote]

Rats too late to change things.

Quote:
No, I don't think Grenade Defense can be applied to laser and blaster bolts. These are by and large energy particles, which must be a whole lot fifferent to brush aside than a physical object.

Thinking about it, why would missiles (like say a RPG) be any slower to deflect? I feel grenade defense should only work against thrown items.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense. I think the reason why I put missiles in there was because I suspected that the power was based on the Jedi Knight games where force push was used to deflect grenades and missiles. The missiles in the game moved pretty slow so you could time it right. So, really it was with that in mind that I described the power as such.

However, you raise a very good point about the amount of time you would need to deflect a launched vs. a thrown object.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THanks Chesh.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Neat. Which part?

It's always good to know that our work is appreciated. It makes it a lot easier to do them.

...I'll be using a good deal of the equipment, & holocron info (probably other bits as time goes Wink )
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry, chesh, got a question about cryokinesis. You have the description on how it can affect objects and even people. Perhaps you should add in something for freezing water or other liquids. I mean, if one is trying to escape from pursuit, one can use this to freeze the top layer of a stream or river in order to cross it. Once across, one can keep the power up until the pursuit is halfway across the river, then let go, causing the pursuit to fall into the river.
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah... and old Exodus story with a new twist, eh? Well... such an addition would be a mechanical nightmare, really. I would say that this sort of application would fall under the TOTJC rule about using a force power outside of the normal way. In essence, I think that the rule in the TOTJC would cover it if such a thing needed to be done.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, could you help me recall which rule you're talking about. Would it be in the Force power chapter?

Edit: never mind. I just found the rule.
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh good, since I have no idea where it was. Smile
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And please do not call it 'Grenade Defense', its too d20!

As the power is a 'quick telekinesis' that can be used as a reaction skill to knock things away with less control than Telekinesis perhaps 'Force Deflect' or just 'Deflection' would be a good name..

Perhaps the following 'scatter diagram' should be used. Think of the Jedi as turned towards the thrower.
Code:

2   3,4   5
   \   |   /
 1<--Jedi-->6
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a long time since this thread has seen the light of day, but I need to ask a question in relation to my own work that I'm doing.

The Force repair power - the Shard can use this to heal the droid body they're using. Can they use this to heal the body of another droid, like C-3PO, R2, B-8, etc? I'm about evenly split between saying yes and creating a new power to do the latter.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing I just spotted - what is the difficulty in throwing a discblade?
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
Another thing I just spotted - what is the difficulty in throwing a discblade?

Good Question.
I think for my own games I put it at a Moderate, given it's description of being sort of retractable after each throw, like a boomerang
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: