The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Conversion - Jedi Academy Training Manual
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Conversion - Jedi Academy Training Manual Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I've read the relevant information from three different sources on the Thought Bomb. I don't think it's a perfect rendering... but the power descriptions really weren't 100% consistent in the different sources. This is pretty close to my first rendering.

Quote:

Thought Bomb
Control Difficulty: Very Difficult
Alter Difficulty: Opposed Perception roll
Required Powers: affect mind, dim another’s senses, life sense, receptive telepathy, projective telepathy.
Warning: A character who uses this power gains an immediate Dark Side Point.
Effect: This is one of the rarest and most dreaded Sith power. The power can concentrate the power of the Dark Side into a horrible vortex capable of drawing in the life essence of nearby sentient being. These destructive telepathic waves threaten to crush any mind in its wake. If the thought bomb achieves sufficient force, it is capable of not only draining a person of their thought, but also decimating one’s body, reducing it to no more than dust. In game terms thought bomb affects all sentient beings within a 4 meter radius and inflicts damage that is not resisted by a character’s Strength attribute, but their Perception attribute (unlike most Force powers, Jedi may not use their control to resist the thought bomb). The Sith may increase the range by increasing the control difficulty +5 for every 2 meters the range is increased. If there are multiple Sith performing the thought bomb ritual, it will also increase the alter damage, following standard combined action rules. However, all damage done by the thought bomb is calculated as mental damage.

Mental damage is not calculated like physical damage. It reduces the character’s mental attributes (Knowledge, Perception, Mechanical, and Technical). Gamemasters should consult the normal Damage Resistance Charts for calculating the damage, though the characters do not take physical wounds. Any character who becomes stunned, removes one pip from all mental attributes. Wounded characters remove 1D from all mental attributes. Incapacitated characters remove 2D from mental attributes. Mortally wounded characters remove 3D from all mental attributes. Characters reaching Killed have all mental attributes reduced by 4D. Killed +5 reduces all mental attributes by 5D. If all mental attributes are reduced to 1D, then the gamemaster may choose one of the effects listed below, or roll a die to randomly determine the characters status. They may become a 1. drooling imbecile, 2. Psychotic killer, 3. Raving lunatic, 4. Frightened runner, 5. Paranoid madman, 6. Harmless amnesiac. If the thought bomb is powerful enough to reduce all mental attributes to 0D, then the character immediately dies.

Surviving characters who suffer mental damage will recover by rolling their Perception (or control) against a natural healing chart, and will mentally recover 1D each time, if the natural healing roll succeeds.

If a character fails the control difficulty, then the thought bomb is beyond his own control and must roll his Perception to resist damage against his own alter roll to avoid being consumed by the thought bomb.
Source: Jedi Academy Training Manual (page 28).

Last edited by cheshire on Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read over your new description about the thought bomb Kaan unleashed. At first, you didn't seem to cover how to determine if a character died as a result of the power, but you did do that.

I think this is about the best description one can come up with. I do have two questions and a suggestion.

Suggestion - do something so that the reader can distinguish between this power and the thought bomb power presented in the JATM. Maybe put in a qualifier of some kind. Like for the power in JATM, have it as telepathic thought bomb or something?

Question - you said that multiple Siths can perform this powr. Shouldn't there be a rule about this. Like how multiple Siths performing this power cna coordinate, thereby reducing the difficulty level by an amount based on the number of Sith involved. And mybe the combined will of several Siths will keep the thought bomb under control.

One more thing - there was one other source of the thought bomb. It was mentioned in one of the three novellas printed to cover the Dark Force and Jedi Knight computer games. In the last book, Jedi Knight, Kyle witnessed the event from both sides, and while looking at it from the perspective of the Sith, he saw a number of Sith go insane during the process of creating this thing. The afflicted Sith were quickly killed by their confederates. So, you can choose whether or not to include this factor in the conversion.
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:

I think this is about the best description one can come up with. I do have two questions and a suggestion.

Suggestion - do something so that the reader can distinguish between this power and the thought bomb power presented in the JATM. Maybe put in a qualifier of some kind. Like for the power in JATM, have it as telepathic thought bomb or something?

I think that this power is the one that the JATM was trying to represent. I think that they simply botched the power when doing the d20 rendition of it. I know that the two renderings are completely different, but I'm not sure that there is much that I can do to distinguish the two powers if they are two different interpretations of the same power. We've seen just as much division between the d20 and D6 conversion in Shatterpoint, and we did little to distinguish it there.

Quote:

Question - you said that multiple Siths can perform this powr. Shouldn't there be a rule about this. Like how multiple Siths performing this power cna coordinate, thereby reducing the difficulty level by an amount based on the number of Sith involved. And mybe the combined will of several Siths will keep the thought bomb under control.

I think that the standard combined actions rule would work well enough, don't they? Perhaps I should include the page reference in the power as to where to look up the combined actions? Or were you thinking of something more elaborate?

Quote:

One more thing - there was one other source of the thought bomb. It was mentioned in one of the three novellas printed to cover the Dark Force and Jedi Knight computer games. In the last book, Jedi Knight, Kyle witnessed the event from both sides, and while looking at it from the perspective of the Sith, he saw a number of Sith go insane during the process of creating this thing. The afflicted Sith were quickly killed by their confederates. So, you can choose whether or not to include this factor in the conversion.

I'll certainly look at it, but I'm wondering if such an early source is going to contribute a whole lot at this stage. But I'll definitely look at it.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you're saying in the comparison to the Shatterpoint power.

And as for the novella reference, about the only thing it would add is another Control difficulty roll the Sith would need to make in order to keep his or her sanity while creating a thought bomb.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished reading that section of the book. It's definately something that's in there. Though, I'm not sure about creating an additional mechanic that could cause death or insanity. Death and insanity are already two possible effects if you do not make the Control roll. I'm not sure if doing two separate rolls for a similar effect would add much to the power.

Would it make the power a little more like the difficulty they had in creating the bomb? Yes, I agree that it would. However, I think this is one of those times that we should shave a little off of the power's mechanics while still having it represent the bulk of what is represented in the novels and comics.

BTW... I know I've asked before... but is there anything else you want me to work on converting in this? There's no equipment or weapons that aren't present elsewhere (if I'm not mistaken), but I'd be happy to take a load off of you in another area, Gry.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're about a week away from the release of the next sourcebook. Has this project hit a snag or something?
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soon, my friend. The book will be done soon.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good. I'm asking because usually the PDF would be released by now - before the release of the next book.
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that "usually" is the word I'd use. "Ideally" is a bit closer to the mark. For the longest while we'd had trouble keeping up with all of the sourcebooks. I don't think it was until after we got the Threats of the Galaxy done that we'd actually been caught up. That one was finished after the KotOR or Clone Wars guide, IIRC. All in all, though, things are going pretty well with the pace of the conversion books.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the delay, guys. Here you go, the final version of the:

Jedi Academy Training Manual - D6 Conversion
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5HUZAGS2
Jedi AlanRocks
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Gry! I have downloaded it and am looking at it now. Good stuff! The Terentatek is pure nightmare fuel! Teeth damage 12D and they regenerate every round, YIKES!
For many years West End Games ruled justly until the evil Empire defeated them. The Empire now rules with an iron fist and the d20. There are some who resist and continue to live by the old ways and d6.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. I like what you've done with it.
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't download it. Every time I try I get "Your IP address has just downloaded 345435 bytes. Please wait 7 minutes, then try your download again." I haven't done any downloads at all today. *grumble*
ggmoridin
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill have to download it when i get home.... thanks heaps guys... im sure it will be as awesome as the rest of your work!
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got it to work from another computer.

Nice. Very nice. I feel kind of bad that I wasn't more active in this one, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: