The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A Comment on a D6 Criticism that I have heard...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> A Comment on a D6 Criticism that I have heard... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Oota does... Not... Miss. Ever.

He's currently working on training his off hand...

That's scary, as he wears a pair of Thunderers with his HOUSECOAT.
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
. I have drank apricot brandy from a golden chalice…why would I want to go have backwashed ripple in a dirty glass?

Son of Fire, I almost spewed on the keyboard... Thanks for the laugh!
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a problem mang.
On occasion I have been known to make a funny now and again.
Though it is pretty rare.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People will always criticize. I believe the young people used to say, "don't be a hater" but I could be wrong...
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between D20 and D6 I must admit that I am a D6 addict, mainly in collecting the books. Earlier it was stated that D6 and Star Wars in generel is slanted toward the jedi. The Best part of D20 was the idea of limiting the Jedi by vitality points. In D6 the limitations come from the fact that as a Jedi progresses he/she is learning that the force is something that should be used as a last resort. While the dark jedi use it all the time. The trade of is that, light side jedi are able to live longer natural lives and help the galaxy, while the darkside eats that dark jedi from the inside out. It is because a more experienced player would more than likely comprehend that D6 idea of limitation, that I keep noobs to the other 100's of templates that D6 has to offer.
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best pilot in the galaxy as far as the EU is concerned isn't even a jedi. Baron Soontir Fel is a normal bloke, albeit a very gifted one. I don't think he's ever been given stats, but going off other NPCs, I'd be willing to give him 13D+ in starfighter piloting and gunnery skills.

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: A Comment on a D6 Criticism that I have heard... Reply with quote

Jedi Knight Jael Weiss wrote:
Hi guys,

I was checking out what the enemy was writing about the D6 system on another forum, and one of the things that they wrote is their opinion that the D6 system is vastly unbalanced in favor of the Jedi characters, wheras the D20 ::trying not to lose his cookies:: is better for game balance because no one character class truly dominates.

I'm just curious what other forum you're talking about cause I recall seeing a similar discussion in the forums over at TheForce.Net.

Wanted Poster
Jace_Terrik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:24 am    Post subject: Jedi Cookiee Cutting.... Reply with quote

Well, did it ever cross your mind, that when WEG's D6-system came out Jedi-characters were rare?

I, in fact, once played a campaign, where there were no Jedi at all. I mean, they weren't even any Jedi-NPC's.

Now, suddenly, we've got Jedi popping out of the woodwork like 'roaches, with every character and their uncle's dog getting the label "Jedi".
There is no chaos; there is harmony.
There is no death; there is the Force.
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Jedi Cookiee Cutting.... Reply with quote

Jace_Terrik wrote:
Now, suddenly, we've got Jedi popping out of the woodwork like 'roaches, with every character and their uncle's dog getting the label "Jedi".

Because George has upped the ampage on Jedi with the prequel films. Before, Jedi were important dramatically. Nowadays, it's all about the kewl lightsaber fights and how much they can rip off wuxia films.

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Jedi Cookiee Cutting.... Reply with quote

Jace_Terrik wrote:

This is an indication of quality of the director, not the D6 game system.
Wookie rage
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe one of the reasons I prefer d6 over d20 is the eras they focus on. I'd rather pretend Lucas never created gungans (what drugs possessed him to make Jar Jar????) and stay in the era of the rebellion and new jedi order. Almost all of the books for D20 are set in the republic era and hardly any info on the Rebellion's era. To me, that's star wars and I have a harder time with the newer movies. (I don't see Vader giving into fear, just anger. has anyone ever seen Vader scared? once? Then why show it in the movie.)

"Let's just say we'd like to avoid any Imperial entanglements." ~Obi Wan Kenobi
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have friends that won't play WEG starwars because of all the stuff they "made up"; Alien Species, Weapons, Planets, ect. They Claim that D20 is better because it doesn't veer away from anything lucas has put out. Or, anything he's approved. Rolling Eyes

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crell Damar wrote:
I have friends that won't play WEG starwars because of all the stuff they "made up"; Alien Species, Weapons, Planets, ect. They Claim that D20 is better because it doesn't veer away from anything lucas has put out. Or, anything he's approved. Rolling Eyes

I see. Timothy Zahn "made up" Grand Admiral Thrawn even though everybody knows that the Emperor had a bias against aliens. Lucas not only approved it, he keeps getting Zahn to write more stuff. When WEG approached Lucas in the 80s to even do the project, Lucas pretty much had complete control over anything and everything that was created.
Don't believe me? Then read about the fallout after the novel Splinter of the Mind's Eye and how pissed Lucas was because of an implied sexual whatever-the-hell-it-was between Luke and Leia. After that, Lucas kept all people even remotely affiliated with the "Behemouth Star Wars" on a very short genital cuff. NOBODY does anything without Lucas saying yea/nay.

And what the heck would they know about what is better? Play both and THEN make your decision. I did, and that's why I still play d6.

Here endeth the lesson...
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maximilian Bernas wrote:
...Play both and THEN make your decision. I did, and that's why I still play d6.

Ditto.
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I don't like either the D20 or the D6 system. Although I did use the D6 system in the past a few times and just really didn't like it.

The thing is, along time ago a bunch of friends of mine wanted to play a Star Trek RPG, well at the time there wasn't one. So as a result I needed to create one.

I tested many systems and tried adapting existing ones from other games to it. All in all I never got the smooth results I wanted.

Therefore I created my own. From scratch. Every rule, every piece of data, I've tried to balance out everything from all the sources I could find.

The players liked the system so much, that we've adapted the system to other games. Personally I think the system is very quick and very fast. The hardest chores are on me. Mainly because the downside is that it forces me to either convert what I find in other games for ship stats over to my system. So theres many hours spent on my part doing it.

My players enjoy it and I don't mind doing the work. Part of the reason I've kind of always stuck with it, is I can't help but notice how complex some other systems are, and yet they still don't cover every situation very well or how much time they take to use and learn.

The system I can generally teach a new player to use inside of about 10-15 minutes. They know everything they need to roll the dice, use their skills and they learn the combat system in the same alotted time.

Even Star Wars. Generally I keep the skills list the same, and that's about it. So the skill names don't change but sometimes I do have to change the way the skill works to a degree.

Hardcore D20 players from D&D and even some hardcore D6 players have all liked it. They continue to play in my games even though it was different to use a completely new system.

I think its just that easy to use. So I say use whatever system you like. If you like D6 or D20 use them. If not create your own. As long as you and your players enjoy yourselves, and you can provide an entertaining game that's all that matters.

I don't think D20 or D6 adjusts anything in the Star Wars universe. That being said sometimes the people who write the information in some of the source books and published RPG books have things a little skewed from time to time, therefore you should feel free to simply adjust the balance if need be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: