The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Kids
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Kids Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Urhart the Fallen Angel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:27 pm    Post subject: Kids Reply with quote

I was wondering if there are any about making a character who is still a kid? Like giving them less attribute dice or something...
Love is still the answer take my hand
The vision fades a voice I hear
Listen to the madman!'
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about any special rules for kids, but there is a template in one of the books for a kid...i'm not sure which book but you should check the ones you have. Very Happy
Urhart the Fallen Angel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've seen that, but it just has stats like an adult. It would make sense if they've been training since they were born (like in Ender's Game, but unlikely...
Listen to the madman!'
Robot Ron
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you have to keep in mind, the Kid template in the core rule book is supposed to be about 15 or 16 years old, so they're not a complete invalid. If you're talking about a 7 year old or something, I'm not sure, maybe give them half the pips for attributes and skills.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Urhart the Fallen Angel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am talking about somebody who is about 9, but that kid does not look like they're a teeneager, and the stats dont support that either.
Listen to the madman!'
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what I would do, is only give the kid 12 or so attribute dice at first... and let him have pool of 6D that he can use as he grows up, and then he can concentrate into what he wants to do with his life then... but he only gets 1D for every 2 years... so if he starts out around 7 or so, then his attributes should be fully developed by the time he reaches 19... I've never really had a player that ever wanted to do play someone that young before, but it seems sensible to me...
also, young people only have a move of 8 instead of 10 Wink

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are some children in crakens rebels opratives.. and in a game we played in once someone made a kid (12-13 ish) and he said he could have a max of 2d str (human) and gave him an extra 1d of dex for free and he had to pay for it over time to keep it. so he got a 4d dex for 3d reduced move, and oh yeah sufferage for the player remember children can't go into bars own vehicles legally drive etc. so if you have a kid remember as a GM to restrict him. no one says he can't have a blaster or blocks on his feet for his Nightfalcon speeder bike but it can't be in his name and some other PC is probly going to have to play "dad" for him.
Urhart the Fallen Angel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose that sorta makes sense, but then the kid would have to have exactly 2D in everything, and that would be kind of boring, and hard to do stuff (I say stuff because I mean anything). I would have a minimum for some things be 1D or something. Because average kids aren't as strong as grown people, and most are more perceptive, so Maybe some differences. Also I could run faster than my whole family when I was 8, so Razz ...
Listen to the madman!'
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why would his tech and mech and percp half to be low? i mean he's only physically incabable of running so fast cuz his legs are short and just not enough str to lift stuff or swing stuff. i mean outside of specific details you didn't want to know at 12-13 how much smarter are you now? really.
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see how perception might not need any limits/penalties, but I think that mechanical and technical should definitely have limits for kids. How many 12-13 year old kids do you know that can fix a car (or drive one for that matter)? These types of skills are usually taught in tech schools, colleges or on-the-job training. Most 12-13 year old kids haven't had the opportunity to get any of those.

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless your baby Vader that is, then you cannot only build a car from scratch, but you can also race one professionally.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
zarkempt
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how many kids do you know that progam the vcr for their folks? i think tech would have very few if any limts, look at kids today with the net. perp would be lower cuz kids for the most part dont pay that much attion to what is going on around them or the details.
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s true…most kids have the attention span of a gerbil on crack, I should know, I still do. But it seems in the Star Wars mythology that some kids (i.e. Anakin Skywalker) seem to have an adult level of competence when it comes to Mech, Tech and other stats. But then again that could be the Force working through him, or that his last name is Skywalker.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Urhart the Fallen Angel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I can't say I agree about the Gerbil on crack part mostly due to the fact that- ooh look a birdy!!

But seriously I would have great Mech and Tech I was aways good at go-carts, and video games (would those be mech or per?). Plus When you get old you lose your memory and sight, so Kids should have all that good stuff.
Listen to the madman!'
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh…that was great. Laughing

I guess I can see a higher Mech and Tech for a kid, I just always figured that the Str and a bit of Dex and Know would be lowered.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: