The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Millennium Falcon and Tractor Beam Projector
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Millennium Falcon and Tractor Beam Projector
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Millennium Falcon and Tractor Beam Projector Reply with quote

While it appears that game stats for the Millennium Falcon include a tractor beam projector for the New Republic version of the ship, I noticed references (notably in the Brian Daley Han Solo books) to the Falcon using a tractor beam in Rebellion era sources as well. Does anyone have clarification on this?
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, I'm wondering if this was a dumb question, since there were no replies. Did I miss something obvious? Did I misspell "Millennium"? (I've done that many times before!) Very Happy
I'm just wondering why the Falcon's stats (during the Rebellion era) don't include a tractor beam projector, even though source material (namely Daley's Han Solo books) indicate it had one - at least during an earlier period.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't a dumb question. I guess the lack of replies is due to the fact that there really isn't much to say on this. Stats are hardly ever 100% in tune with all the EU material there is lying around. When creating the stats for the Falcon they probably devised a gradual progression in which it gained more modifications in time.

It can also be explained that maybe the Falcon had a tractor beam at one point in the past (the occurance in the book you mentioned), but then it got knocked out/disabled/stolen/sold and it was only years afterwards that it would have a tractor beam installed again.
Tem_Starrunner
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been a few years since I read the Brian Daley books. As I remember right the Falcon doesn't have tractor beam in those books.

There a few scenes that make it sound like the Falcon may have a tractor beam. Like the scene in Han Solo At Stars' End were Han drops a load grain that "gums up" the dreadnaught's tractor beam near Orron III. Or in Han Solo's Revenge near the end when the lifting rig Fiolla and Odumin are in is hooked on the Falcon's mandible.

As for other books in the Rebellion era I don't recall any giving the Falcon a
tractor beam.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your explanation makes sense, Gry. It sounds like Brian Daley and the WEG folks had a strained relationship (Daley refused to help with the Corporate Sector Sourcebook when they didn't offer any compensation for his consultation), which may explain in part why they overlooked including tractor beam projectors for the Falcon in the WEG materials.

Tem, the tractor beam reference for the Falcon is on Page 122 of the Han Solo Adventures, when he uses them to slightly move an asteroid onto a slightly different course for concealment while scouting out Stars' End. Also on Page 168, Han tells Doc that the Falcon's tractors aren't strong enough to hold back the Stars' End tower from re-entry. There might be another reference or two in the other two books from that series.

Also, the New Republic era stats for the Falcon, including the tractors, are on Pages 85-86 of Cracken's Threat Dossier.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that the Lando Adventures also includes a reference to the Falcon having tractors - Page 211 of the 3-in-1 Adventures book includes a reference to "landing tractors" in Flamewind of Oseon.
YodaWI
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest Star Wars novel, Outcast, references the Falcon's cargo tractor beam.

I am only about 80 pages in, but it is pretty good so far.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Outcast reference is consistent with the stats for the "newer version" Falcon in Cracken's Threat Dossier. It seems like there's an argument that all versions of the Falcon should include tractor beam projector/s.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: