The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Chase Scene Mechanics - Movement & Speed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Chase Scene Mechanics - Movement & Speed
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pwcroft
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Chase Scene Mechanics - Movement & Speed Reply with quote

I'm trying to think of a way to incorporate movement and speed into a "narrative" style of play -- but want to avoid using counters and a hex map. This is geared towards chase scenes and dogfights.

So, what about using a factor called Relative Speed Modifier (RSM)? A character's (or vehicle's) RSM would be based on two factors: movement speed and Move (or Space) stat. This would be the actual Move/Space stat, not how far someone moved in a particular round -- remember, I'm trying to avoid hex maps.

So, most starting characters have a Move of 10. Or, let's say a freighter with a Space of 4. For vehicles (which use much higher Move values) we could simply divide the Move (or Atmosphere) value by 10, and round down. So, a Rebel Alliance Combat Airspeeder would have a Move of 35, not 350. Likewise, a TIE Interceptor would have an Atmosphere value of 41, not 415.

Speed Difficulty Modifier (round up)
------- ---------------------------------
Cautious: No Modifier
Cruising: RSM = 1/3 Move (Space)
High: RSM = 1/2 Move (Space)
All-Out: RSM = Full Move (Space)

* These can all be pre-calculated and recorded for ease of use.

The difference between the defender's RSM and the attacker's RSM becomes the difficulty modifier for the attack roll. This would reflect the relative speed differences between attacker/defender.

Difficulty Modifier to Attack = Defender's RSM - Attacker's RSM

All other rules for movement speeds apply, of course. A higher movement speed is going to make the target harder to hit, but also makes it harder to maneuver through terrain.

Let's take a look at an example space combat. An X-Wing cruising along in space would have an RSM 3. It encounters a TIE Interceptor flying all-out (RSM 10). The X-Wing attacks the TIE Interceptor with a difficulty modifier of +7. If the TIE Interceptor slows down to High Speed (RSM 5) so it can attack the X-Wing (still cruising), the difficulty modifier of the attacking TIE becomes -2. The X-Wing could speed up to High (RSM 4) for a slight defensive difference, or go all-out (RSM 8) for a distinct defensive advantage. Though, again, this increases the risks of colliding with an asteroid, etc.

Exception: Character Attacking Vehicle
These rules only apply to chase scenes. Now, in terms of characters shooting at vehicles -- I would have to adjust the above rules. A character standing still is going to have a better chance of shooting a moving vehicle than if that character were running. Relative speeds aren't as important outside of a "chase" situation. So, in this case, perhaps the character's attacking difficulty is modified by the vehicle's RSM. So, a guy shooting at a speeder bike moving at High Speed (RSM 8) would have a difficulty modifier of +8. Seems reasonable, no?

I'd appreciate some feedback on this idea. I think it may seem more complicated than it is. But constructive criticism is welcome.

Also, as a side note -- I think range should be more of a factor than it is. That is, maybe if someone isn't dodging/evading, then just use a flat range modifier plus 2D for the difficulty. If someone is dodging/evading, than apply the flat range modifier to the defensive roll. No? It just doesn't make sense to disregard the range factor if someone decides to dodge. Let me know your thoughts.

I'm trying to modify the rules in a way that makes sense, but without increasing the number of dice or overcomplicating the process. A little complication, however, is to be expected. That still doesn't make it the HERO system. :)
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posting the same message in two different forums wasn't really necessary. Rolling Eyes
pwcroft
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Oops Reply with quote

Sorry! I'd posted it originally in Official Rules, and realized it wasn't the best forum for it, but didn't know how to delete it.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you look at posts you make, in the top left corner of your 'post' block, you see a quote tab, an edit tab, and a little X tab (though iirc that only shows up if no one has replied as yet).. that X allows you to delete your post.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkarl,

First edition did something like this. Ships had a Speed Code instead of a Movement rate and used range bands, like short, medium, long.

Using this could let you avoid maps and counters. You could even adjust the Speed Code for movement rate if you want.

Cautious: x1/4
Crusing:x1/2
High: x1
All Out: x2
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
garhkarl,

First edition did something like this. Ships had a Speed Code instead of a Movement rate and used range bands, like short, medium, long.

Using this could let you avoid maps and counters. You could even adjust the Speed Code for movement rate if you want.

Cautious: x1/4
Crusing:x1/2
High: x1
All Out: x2
I remember the old speed codes. Why did they abandon this method?
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You added your pilot dice to your speed code.

Han Solo in an old abandoned freighter could beat a Tie Fighter in a race hands down.

In other words, it was easy, but not very realistic.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, it was entirely abstract. SO if you wanted to do things like put planets, dead space ships and whatnot into the space battles, as was becoming more common in the published adventures, you needed some way to represent that.

If we used the Speed Code, but without the Pilot skill, it would work good for most chases. THe Pilots skill would factor in with making the difficulty rolls for the other things the pilot is doing.
jmanski

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to each his own, but rolling a dice for an arbitrary number to see how far my ship goes seems silly. The movement rules in 2nd ed. aren't perfect, I agree, but all this other stuff seems like it is more cumbersome.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Well, to each his own, but rolling a dice for an arbitrary number to see how far my ship goes seems silly. The movement rules in 2nd ed. aren't perfect, I agree, but all this other stuff seems like it is more cumbersome.

To me, it isn't entirely silly. Just the wide range is. In the dreaded real world, it is possible to catch up to a "faster" car or plane because of driver skill. Even if a car is capable of 200kph, not everyone is capable of driving the car at that speed.

What one RPG used to do was to give vehicles cruising a max speeds and if the opponent's vehicle had a higher CRUS than your MAX, you couldn't try to change range, and had to do something else. So in SW terms, a Barloz-class freighter is never going to outrun a Y-Wing, but might be able to outrun a Ghrotc 720.
jmanski

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant rolling only the ship's speed as dice.

Yes, there has to be some pilot influence. But there cannot be too much pilot influence.

Blasted rules. Why can't they just be perfect?
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Blasted rules. Why can't they just be perfect?

Now, that's a good signature line.
jmanski

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: