The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Sourcebook for my own Roleplaying Group
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Sourcebook for my own Roleplaying Group Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want to see my work on my very first sourcebook?
I would love to see it!
38%
 38%  [ 12 ]
Sure, why not.
51%
 51%  [ 16 ]
Couldn't care less.
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 31

YodaWI
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Sourcebook for my own Roleplaying Group Reply with quote

Hello fellow denziens of the Pit!

I am currently working on my very first compiled 'sourcebook' and would love to here feedback from you from time to time. I am not sure where the best spot to post updates and such, so thought I would start here.

The sourcebook is actually going to be a collection of all the various campaigns/characters/etc for the roleplaying group I have been a member of for nearly 15 years.

The first thing I was curious about, is there even anyone who would actually want to see it? Our roleplaying group has done a wide variety of things, some very well planned out, others completely off the cuff. Most via tabletop sessions, other sessions via IM and PbP. Some of it will probably seem kind of out of place in your idea of the Star Wars universe, but I am more than willing to allow as many of you that want to, to plunder as much of it as you can use.

Any interest out there to either offer helpful advice along the way or to see the finished product? I hope to finish it by the beginning of August, before my group gets together for a weekend of roleplaying and other things. (Also, I have to start teaching again shortly after that!)
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly don't mean to be rude, only honest. For my part, such a book holds no interest, and I don't really see a big market for it out there. Things people create for their own campaign tend to be very personal, very geared towards the style of that particular group. From time to time there might be something someone else does that sparks some interest, but mostly I prefer to get "official" stuff from outside and come up with my own personalized stuff for my game.

But please don't let that stop you. I'm sure there are people who enjoy using fan-made stuff from other groups, I'm just not one of them.
YodaWI
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is understandable. I am primarily doing the work for myself and my group, but since I am doing the work anyways, I thought I would offer to share it.

Thanks for the input.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that. That's actually how I got myself into this whole PDF business to begin with. I did a little compilation of aliens stats to use in my campaign, and then I edited it into a nice little PDF book and thought "Well, I already went through all the trouble of making this, maybe there's someone else on the web who'd like to get their hands on this as well", and the rest is history...
YodaWI
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you that voted (and maybe others of you) that you want to see what I am doing, I will give you an update.

My roleplaying group consists of my two brothers, my cousin and I. We have 3 different campaigns that we have been able to run for quite a while.

The first started with the Operation:Elrood scenario book. After playing through those missions, we switched GM's and ran a few 'prequel' missions with a mix of our original characters and a few new ones. We finished the prequels and we are now back to events that followed the Operation:Elrood missions.

The second campaign runs during the Rebellion Era as well. It follows the two main characters, one a retired Imperial TIE Carrier Captain, the other a young Jedi. The campaign opened with them living on Naboo and assisting in the defense of Naboo and then joining the Rebellion. They are currently operating in the Dreighton Terminus (thanks Chaos Crew) attempting to slow down the Empire as they begin to enter the sector for the first time.

The third campaign follows a group of characteres that have established a Shipping and Transportation company called the Rim Runners. They are beginning to expand their business and gain more recognition in the area they operate, even earning larger, more difficult assignments on a contractual basis.

I will post some of the work I have done so far soon.
YodaWI
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a timeline of events for our Dreighton Terminus campaign. Hopefully some of you are able to get a few adventure ideas from this. If no one seems interested, then I will wait on posting anything else until I am completely finished with the 'sourcebook'.

Dreighton Terminus Timeline of Events
Galactic events in italics. Dreighton Terminus events in bold.

0 – The Battle of Yavin. The Rebel Alliance destroys the First Death Star.

– Dirq Cargil, Sector Governor of the Dreighton Terminus, secretly begins the construction of hidden asteroid base using both gov. and personal credits to fund the construction.

1ABY – The Second Battle of Naboo. Winston Douglas and Lowrey Broncato, living on Naboo at the time, assist in the defense of Naboo and are successful in defeating the attacking Imperial forces.

- Douglas and Broncato offered a position with the Rebel Alliance following the Battle of Naboo. Douglas discovers that Broncato has had some Jedi training.

- Douglas becomes Commander of Rebel Outpost DVL-181, better known as “The Quagmire”. Broncato is assigned to form a small special forces unit stationed there.

- Douglas and Broncato lead a small group of Rebels to rescue a group of Wookiee slaves. One of these Wookiees joins Broncato’s special forces unit.

- Douglas and Broncato lead a team to recover a delivery of supplies captured while enroute to “The Quagmire” by the Pirates of Prexiar.

- Douglas and Broncato travel to Gall under the guise of inspectors from the Podracer’s Guild in Malastare to investigate the disappearance of SpecForces operative, Orrimaarko.

2ABY – Commander Douglas and 2nd Lt. Broncato are retasked to take a small force and establish a Rebel presence in the Dreigthon Terminus.

- Enter the Terminus acting as independent shipping merchants.

- Save a Trade Federation ship from a pirate attack.

- Are hired privately by Gov. Dirq Cargil to investigate the recent assassination attempts on his life. Successfully prevent an assassination and apprehend the assassin.

- Establish a base in the Terminus in a previously abandoned fortress.

- Successfully defend the base from pirate attack. Mysterious Jedi comes to their aid. Broncato receives a promotion to Lt.

- Gov. Cargil is defeated by Floin Fletcher in the sector elections.

3ABY – The Battle of Hoth. The Empire has the Rebel Alliance on the run.

- Gov. Fletcher invites the Empire into the Dreighton Terminus.

- Former Gov. Cargil invites Douglas and Broncato to join his newly formed freedom fighting group hidden in Terminus.

- Successfully erase all known records of location and construction of asteroid base.

- Begin to recruit more to their cause, including convincing Duros pilot Dla Vimdif to join them and rescuing Dr. Kindov Dondarr from the Scourge of Spiron Mercenary Group.

- Successfully divert a shipment of much needed medical supplies and foodstuffs from the Empire to “The Rock", their asteroid base.

- Lt. Broncato and 2nd Lt. Celsh Odine receive orders from the Alliance to pose as outspoken political figures and get themselves exiled to Captivity, and Imperial prison world. Several political prisoners are successfully rescued. Han Solo provides the ride off planet. (from To Free the Forgotten mission out of Rules Supplement sourcebook)

- Broncato and Odine receive permission to take a leave of absence to seek out the Jedi believed to be living in the Terminus so that Lt. Broncato can train under a real Jedi.

4ABY – The Battle of Endor. The Second Death Star is destroyed and the Emperor is slain while Darth Vader is redeemed.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say, "Why not?" I sometimes get a little bit out of people's homebrew stuff. I think Gry is right that it usually tends to be pretty personal campaign material, but there are occasionally gems in the whole mish-mash.
YodaWI
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. I will keep adding info as I finish it. I am sure I am a lot more excited about getting this done than the accomplishment actually warrants, but I guess since it is my work, I am allowed to be!

If there is anything specific anyone would like to see, such as our PC's, NPC's, ships, maps, etc. I can post some of them sooner rather than later. Otherwise, a lot of that I will save for the final product.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal opinion as always, take no offense.

I find nothing as useless as someone else's PC. Sure, sometimes the background might make for a little bit of fun read, but that's about it. NPCs are usually not very different, but occasionally might be useful. Ships... I really just don't feel there's any need for someone else's homemade ships when there are hundreds of official ones available. The only occasion when I want an original ship is when a PC actually builds one, but then you'll want to create your very own. Maps... maps are fine. You can never have too many maps, and they are usually flexible enough to fit several different scenarios.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah.... if someone's done a good map, then that's fantastic. I love maps.
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Personal opinion as always, take no offense.

I find nothing as useless as someone else's PC. Sure, sometimes the background might make for a little bit of fun read, but that's about it. NPCs are usually not very different, but occasionally might be useful. Ships... I really just don't feel there's any need for someone else's homemade ships when there are hundreds of official ones available. The only occasion when I want an original ship is when a PC actually builds one, but then you'll want to create your very own. Maps... maps are fine. You can never have too many maps, and they are usually flexible enough to fit several different scenarios.

I disagree about NPCs being useless... Being a Novice GM who is still having some difficulty trying to wrap his head around D6, they are a god-send and speed making adventures up for me greatly. And now that you mention it I'd like to see Chesh and Gry Make a Big book of NPCs.

Oh and Chishire, need you to contact me By PM or YIM me at the following YIM ID: Panzerfaust630
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcon79 wrote:
And now that you mention it I'd like to see Chesh and Gry Make a Big book of NPCs.

Well, to be honest, this book has been halfway done for over a year already... One day, one day...
YodaWI
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it has been a while, I am primarily working on characters and story so far, which there doesn't seem to be as much interest in. I would love to post some pictures of maps but can't seem to figure out how to do that.

I am heading to bed for the evening so don't have any more time to play around with it, but if anyone can help me out, I would appreciate it.
YodaWI
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am back Smile It is summer vacation again and us teachers do not work quite as hard this time of year, so I have some time to work. I know it has been a LONG time since I have posted anything but I am making progress. I am up to about 90 pages of info. For those who voted in the poll that you wanted to see the final product I am getting close.

In the meantime, you should be able to see some of what is going into the sourcebook through this link. Feel free to browse around and use any of it that you think will fit your group.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JJVanderhoof/photos/album/96470058/pic/773838631/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc

Also, the file for the sourcebook is going to be too big to post here so if anyone can point me to an easier way to share the file when it is done, please let me know.

Thanks and enjoy.
YodaWI
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realized after posting that message and that link, no one would be able to see anything without joining my yahoo group where I have everything posted online for my fellow roleplayers to see between sessions. So I broke down and downloaded the megaupload file manager to show you the work I have done so far.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8BKHSFS0

Feel free to give me any feedback.
Thanks Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: