The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Armor Weapons??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Armor Weapons?? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phaedrus
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:40 pm    Post subject: Armor Weapons?? Reply with quote

Hey guys... I've got a question for ya'll.

The other day while waiting for the guys to come over and play a little d6 Star Wars 8) I sat down to look through the 2nd edition R&E book, to brush up on the rules (you can never look at them TO often). I was looking at one of the skills when it said that Jet Pack Operation could be used to dodge, the same with Rocket Pack Operation. No proplem, I've seen Boba & Jango do that in the movies and games and stuff, but then I found that Powersuit Operation can be used to make a dodge roll too.

Sweet!! That means I can stick bad guys in some cool power armor and their dodge won't suffer Twisted Evil So then I start looking in Galladium's (I think I spelled that right) Fantastic Tech book at power armor dreaming of ways to kill off a PC or two. Reading one of the most powerful suits in there, it says that the weapons built in to the power armor use the Armor Weapons skill. Never heard of that one, so I go back to my R&E rulebook, nothing there. I look on-line, can't find much there either.

So (I know, I'm a bit long winded) Smile the question is, What does the Armor Weapon skill fall under? Dexterity or Mechanical?

If that skill is a Mechanical skill that would mean that a bad @$$ Merc in some killer power armor can use Powersuit Operation to dodge, and Armor Weapons to attack? Is this right? So any dexterity penalties from wearing the armor would only apply to thinks like carring a blaster and trying to shoot it? Or Acrobatics? or Vehical Blasters?

Anyone know?

~ phaedrus
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armor weapons is a Dex skill, I've seen it on the write up of Boba Fett... as per difficulties for using armor weapons, I'm not sure...

And officially, Acrobatics is a Strength skill, so it wouldn't suffer.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armor wep difficulty depends on the type of wep like wrist lasers flame throwers etc they use the wep diff +5 i belive... not that it really matters though i mean how often do you get to shoot at someone whose not going to try and dodge you would use that number anyways.
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never liked the armour weapons skill; to me it just seems redundant to have an additional skill to cover weapons that could easily fit in other existing categories.
To me it undermines the simplicity of the system.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well kinda... but i mean it makes it a little more realistic if i can call it that... the way armor attachments work is a specific kind of hand move ment along with finger positons operates function A like boba fetts wrist lasers. he makes a balled fist and then rolls his rist down if the back of his hand is strait up. kinda like changing the throttle on a motorcycle only backwards. not nearly the same as looking down your arm over your hand and squeezing a trigger. also armor weps wouldn't line up right for aiming the same way. i think thats why they added the skill. *shrug*
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the true functioning of Boba’s armour is mere speculation.
Balling a fist may just be…balling a fist, it may actually have sight tied to a direct feed to his visor plate, like a heads-up display, with voice activation, or eye movement…we don’t really know one way or the other. But to me that would not be very farfetched considering the American military is experimenting along those lines.
And if it functions along that line then using the wrist lasers would not be that much different than firing a blaster. Which in turn would make sense to utilize the blaster skill.

I think they just added to make an “easy way out”.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Phaedrus
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys!!

I'll have to remember that the next time I try and pit the PC's against someone in power armor.

~ phaedrus
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, I saw Boba and Jango reach over with the left hand to use some of his wrist weapons. Like when Boba used the grapple hook thing to tie up Luke. Still, it would be GM call if it requires both hands to use such things. But it beats drawing weapons.

As for the different skill, armor wpn, I like it, because their is a difference between a wrist launcher and handheld grapplehook launcher.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, armor weapons doesn't just apply to guys like boba fett who attatch stuff to their armor, they've got phatty power armor with weapons already built in... so you need the skill to operate them... on top of that, you get some decent fire control to add on to your skill so...

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure he activated some of his weapons manually…and others like the blades, targeting scope, and missile, just seemed to activate out when needed. Perhaps this is one case where the Fett’s have redundant systems? Manual and “other” (since we are not sure how they activated).

As for the Armour Weapons skill…I don’t like it and don’t use it. I could understand if all the weapons on a suit would fall under this catchall skill, but that’s not the case. In the games it’s a hodgepodge between existing skills and the new Armour Weapons skill. There seems to be no logic to it, just a random mishmash of what weapons falls under what skill.
worfbacca
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Voice Activated.. Reply with quote

Voice activated??
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to agree with SoF on this one. I also do not like the 'armour weapons' skill.

Fett's armour weapons include a wrist laser, flame thrower, and cable caster. Each of these weapons require a different skill to use properly.

We had a bounty hunter in our campaign who did the same thing (he had guided micromissiles, and a grenade launcher among others), all the players agreed the bounty hunter needed a different skill for each weapon.

I cannot come up with one logical reason why 'armour weapons' should be a skill.
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the support Volar.
The thing is if all of Fett’s weapons systems fell under the Armour Weapons skill, then I would be fine with it. But as it stands officially in the book…some of his skill use existing skills like Missile Weapons and such, while others fall under the Armour Weapons skill.
It does not really “gel” with me because there seems to be no reason for it. Either you use existing skills, or all weapons on a battle suit utilize the Armour Weapons skill. But they way its laid out its some kind of weird amalgamation of the two.
That’s why I just don’t bother with it at all.
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best way to figure out the Boba Fett thing is to consider where the weapons are placed and how they are discharged.

For example:
If Boba can discharge the weapon from a toggle switch in his helmet, then it would be an armor suit weapons skill. If he must use his hands externally to fire the weapon, then he uses the requisite skill.

I know that this does not answer all of the questions, but at least you can sleep a little better knowing that an attempt was made to utilize logic.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the skill armour weapons should exist and that it should be used for anything that is 'fired' from a location other than the forearms or hands.

You may have excellent fire control and voice activated systems intergrated into your armour but your knee darts aren't going to hit anyone if you're standing behind a waist high wall.

Just the sort of mistake you might make if you were attempting to use the missile weapons skill rather than the armour weapons skill

Last edited by Esoomian on Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: