The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Need help with new character concept
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Need help with new character concept Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:34 am    Post subject: Need help with new character concept Reply with quote

Hi guys!

I was trying to find a new Star Wars group and some people in the neighbouring city are playing Star Wars with the Savage Worlds system, aparently a highly action oriented system, which suits me fine, even if I don't know it.

Thing is, the campaign needs some larger-then-life characters, and I never been good with those. Currently the group consists of:

- A Jedi-Knight (Fighter, diplomat and party-face)
- A force immune and super athletic animal mistress
- A rather sneaky bounty hunter, mechanic and spy

Problem is, I honestly don't want to step on any of the other characters toes when I create a new one (i.e. make a second Jedi knight, or a thievy smuggler or technician). Any ideas for some good characters that would fit an action-oriented campaign that don't impose on any of the concepts we already have?
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amnesiac who is apparently skilled with blades. You have no idea who you are. There is a tattoo on forearm of a mysterious symbol.

You can plot his backstory later, or you can let the GM has full authority to craft his actual background and reveal it piecemeal over time.
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I'm a bit biased against characters who have lost their memory, but most of all I fear a highly skilled melee combatant would step on the toes of the Jedi and the Jungle woman.

My ideas so far are:

Idea Highly talented blockade-runner-style pilot (and smuggler!)
Idea Mysterious assassin that lurks in the shadows (and smuggles!)
Idea Ex-Stormtrooper commando (that smuggles!)
Idea Talented Padawan with many secondary skills (who does not smuggle!)

Well, I know... not very creative...
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best fit for that group would be the military guy. GI Joe type, playing the straight guy among this band of misfits. Your ex-Storm Commando idea fits right into this. A gruff, no-nonsense soldier with a chip on his shoulder (he must be an "ex" for a reason).
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, aparently my post didnt make it this mroning before you came on to check!

I suggested some type of gunslinger weapons expert type of guy. the ex-commando will do that perfectly.

proficient in weapons and exposives... all things thing that make a loud noise. perhaps even partially deaf Wink

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if there's going to be a lot of vehicle or space combat, but I don't see any pilots in your group.

Make a hotshot fighter pilot, speeder racer or repulsorlift tank driver. You may not be the super melee combat-type, but you can come in strafing the bad guys and do a lot of damage with your vehicle blasters. (oh, and smuggle, too!)
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pilot was my Blockade-runner idea... hehe Wink

Only problem with the commando is: I doubt there are too many female stormtroopers, especially Ex-commandos. I'm not too excited playing a male character but if it fits the story... Or do you have any idea how to fit a woman in that armor somehow? Rolling Eyes
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's impossible for a woman to be a Storm Commando. Granted, it would be very hard, but that just shows how tough and good at her job she must be. She would have to be one tough cookie, with a very strong build and amazing military skills.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other possibility, is that she could be alliance specforce. They, I know for a fact have women amongst them.
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akari wrote:

Doh! I don't know how I missed that. Well, that idea definitely has my vote. 8)

Women in flight suits are never a bad thing!
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akari wrote:

Only problem with the commando is: I doubt there are too many female stormtroopers, especially Ex-commandos. I'm not too excited playing a male character but if it fits the story... Or do you have any idea how to fit a woman in that armor somehow? Rolling Eyes

You dont have to be an X IMP commando, you coudl be a rebel one, planetary forces one, etc. lots of other non stormtrooper commandos in the galaxy Smile

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Promising idea! I think I'll go with Alliance Specforce, even though I just noticed, I'm not 100% sure what timeline (if any) the campaign will follow.

Oh well, I dont think theres a time in Star Wars history where military personel with heavy weapons skills and demolitions was not in high demand at some point... ^_~

By the way, thanks a bunch, guys! Youre make out such a great and supportive forum, I love you all! Very Happy
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A concept I've been playing around with but never had a chance to use is a human replica droid that is unaware that it's a droid.

After being left to it's own devices it's assumed that it's immuniy to stun blasts and ability to go without food is to do with a connection to the force and it's similar to a quixotic jedi... with no actual force powers.

It could fit quite well into your existing ideas and it'd be a little different to the rest of the group.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That isn't a bad idea. For an interesting twist, you could make it some type of droid sleeper agent, when given the proper stimuli, the droid's hidden protocols are activated.
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I asked yesterday evening, we are playing like 50 BBY. No Empire, no Stormtroopers, not even galactic war! *sniff* Jedi order in full swing though, active Holonet, etc...

Oh well, lets hope the GM finds something exciting anyway for us to do...

And I used to play a character like Esoomian describes in a Blade Runner style Sci-Fi RPG quite some time ago. However I, as the player, also didn't know I was a replicant. I wasn't too keen on that concept really. I like my characters to be of flesh and bones. Or gelatinous goo, or chitin or whatever... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: