The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Combined Force Power
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Combined Force Power
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Combined Force Power Reply with quote

So, this just came up in my game, and none of us can remember the name of the power!

Ankhanu wrote:
Rownn takes in Garolf's report as he works. With no real input to add, he keeps quietly working, mildly concerned with the Vong attention to their prior location. He inwardly hopes that their tracks can't be found leading back to the compound.

He feels a mild sensation in the Force as Orallynn attempts to move the Chance, drawing his attention to the Gand's effort. He watches on with some disappointment as his effort fails, noting that his connection with the Force is probably no stronger than his own in this instance. When the Gand proposes his plan to cooperate in moving the ship, Rownn places down the crate, a quizzical look on his face, he warbles and growls out a question, "I've heard stories of Jedi merging their efforts through the Force to accomplish more than either party could on their own, but the techniques were unknown to my master. Have you learned these techniques?"

Hellcat wrote:
Ankhanu's last IC post brings up a question I was trying to figure out last night. Does anyone know the name of that technique? Dorsk 81 either used it or something similar in Darksaber when the Jedi combined their powers with him as the focal point to be able to push Pelleaon's fleet away from Yavin IV, though the effort ended up killing him. But they were doing pretty much what's been talked about here, combining themselves to increase their combined ability on one particular Force power (a Force push in this case). As the focal point he was the one to actually use the combined power, but what's the name of the power to combine them all together as one? Anyone know?

Jacen did it as well in the books after the Vong war. (help Leia hold the Falcon together while they landed on Courscant.)

So in summary, the power in which a force user can shunt his power into another, to gain power and funnel it in one combined effort.

I would think that this might be like a combined effort roll, but the instance that Jacen did it, they talked of Jacen giving much more then Jaina.....

*calls the power of Gry!*

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that it would be some variation of Force Harmony. More specifically for linking together for a particular task other than the defense against the dark side. Jedi of the old republic were able to combine efforts in such a way.

Quote:
Force Harmony
Control Difficulty: Difficult. Modified by
proximity.
Sense Difficulty: Difficult. Modified by
relationship.
Alter Difficulty: Moderate.
Required Powers: Life detection, life sense,
receptive telepathy, projective telepathy
This power can be kept up.
Effect: This power allows several willing Jedi
to manifest the power of the Light Side. As long
as this power is operating, it bathes the users
in the celestial illumination that is of the light
side. It can act as a shield against the powers
of the dark side, giving +5D for each Force user
involved to resist the effects of powers called
upon by dark side servants. This bonus is not as
great as it appears since a Jedi will receive a -2D
penalty for calling on this power. The number
of Force-users linked in this power is limited by
the number of dice that the power’s imitator has
in her control or sense skill, whichever is lower.
For example, if Leia, who has a control of 5D+1
and a sense of 4D+2, used Force harmony she
would be able to link only four people (including
herself).
When acting as a shield against the Dark Side,
if both control and sense rolls exceed the target’s
roll of the dark side power used (if the power
requires multiple rolls, then the highest roll),
the dark side power is interrupted. All powers
being kept up by the target are interrupted as
if the user were stunned. It doesn’t cancel out
the presence of the dark side, but can distract its
servants and make their actions more difficult.

Just an idea.

The other idea I've got, if it's for a Telekinesis roll, just have each one roll by their skill separately and then calculate the maximum weight that each one can control with TK. Then if they're concentrating on the same target, if the combined weight affected is equal to the task, then they should be able to do it.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Telekinesis
Alter Difficulty: Very Easy for objects
weighing one kilogram or less; Easy for objects
weighing one to ten kilograms; Moderate for
objects 11 to 100 kilograms; Difficult for 101
kilograms to one metric ton; Very Difficult for
1,001 kilograms to ten metric tons; Heroic for
10,001 kilograms to 100 metric tons.
Objects may be moved at 10 meters per
round; add +5 per additional 10 meters per
round. The target must be in sight of the Jedi.
Increased difficulty if the object isn’t moving
in simple, straight-line movement:
+1 to +5 for gentle turns
+6 to +10 for easy maneuvers
+11 to +25 or more for complex maneuvers,
such as using a levitated lightsaber to attack.
Modified by proximity.
Force Powers 17
This power can be kept up.
Effect: By using this power, a Jedi may levitate
objects with mental power. If used successfully,
the object moves as the Jedi desires.
A Jedi can lift several objects simultaneously,
but each additional object requires the Jedi to
make a new telekinesis roll.
This power can be used to levitate oneself
or others. It can be used as a primitive space
drive in emergencies. When levitating against
someone’s will, the target will resist by adding
his or her Perception or control roll to the difficulty
number.
Levitated objects can be used to attack
other characters, but this automatically gives the
Jedi a Dark Side Point. Such objects do up to 1D
damage if under one kilogram, 2D if one to ten
kilos, 4D if 11to100 kilos, 3D Speeder-scale if one
to ten tons, 5D Starfighter-scale if 11 to 100 tons.
Such attacks require an additional control roll
by the Jedi, which would be this hit roll against
the target’s dodge. If the character doesn’t dodge
the attack, the difficulty if Easy.

At the end where they have the amount of damage done based on weight, I would think if their roll is high enough to do up to the ship's hull in damage, they'd be able to lift it. seeing how the chance has only 1D hull. Which I'm surprised about for an armed ship. They should be able to make it with a Very Difficult roll.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there some rule that states that you can't use the combined action rules for Force powers? Granted, I know that the expanded universe says it's hard/rare... but it also says a lot of things that don't transition well into game mechanics.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The combined action rules would, in this instance, grant a +1 bonus... not really of much point.

When I made my post, I was kind of thinking about Force Harmony, but hadn't read the description in a few years, so kinda forgot its limitations. I suppose there aren't any official powers to simulate the combined effort ability; though perhaps it's been recreated in some of the SAGA material? I doubt it is, seeing as Cheshire didn't mention it Razz

I couldn't see this being a commonly known or mastered ability though... and certainly out of the range of our padawan level characters Smile

Donate to Ankhanu Press
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hows about this (just wrote it up).

Force channeling.
Control diff - 15 + 5 per person being linked + relationship to the WORST person in the group being combined
Sense diff - 15 + +5 per person being linked + relationship to the worst person in the group
Alter diff - 25 + 5 per person being combined.

With this power, a powerful jedi can become even more powerful, by drawing on everyone elses force powers to augument his own. For every person linked, he can add 1D from 2 of their force attributes to his own. MAPS for using this power do not count, so in the example of Jacen and Leia linking he would take 1d control and 1d alter to augument the ships hull with strengthen object. The more people being linked, the more power can be 'taken'.
NOTE if the person takes more than twice his alter in D from other people, he suffers 1D damage per additional Dice over that limit, which is NOT soakable, but does not come into play until the power is done. This is based on their NATURAL power level.
So with the Dorsk 81 aspect, he was iirc channeling the power of over 12 jedi, which would have given him 24 dice. IIRC his Alter was at around 7d, so double that would be 14d, therefore he took 10d damage to himself...
adamlumina93
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the power, I think there should be something in there about a plus 5 or 10 to the difficulty for every darkside point shared between the users. Add maybe another plus 5 or 10 if the person getting their powers drawn from is resisting. This could be just for a game balance issue.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only issue I can see, is that you're adding relationship modifiers to more than one roll, which I don't see as being very appropriate, my suggestion is make one of those proximity. Usually control is modified by proximity and sense is modified by relationship. Other than that, I like it Smile
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
The combined action rules would, in this instance, grant a +1 bonus... not really of much point.

When I made my post, I was kind of thinking about Force Harmony, but hadn't read the description in a few years, so kinda forgot its limitations. I suppose there aren't any official powers to simulate the combined effort ability; though perhaps it's been recreated in some of the SAGA material? I doubt it is, seeing as Cheshire didn't mention it Razz

Let's not make assumptions. Smile I did convert one from the JATM that grants an additional bonus. It's really not too huge of a bonus, but instead of it requiring three Jedi to give it a +1D, it only requires two to give +1D. It's not so huge... but there is a bit more difference between 9 Jedi giving you a +3D, and 9 Jedi giving you a 4D+2. Drop a Force Point on that as well, and you've got some pretty ludicrous bonuses if you want it.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Let's not make assumptions. Smile I did convert one from the JATM that grants an additional bonus. It's really not too huge of a bonus, but instead of it requiring three Jedi to give it a +1D, it only requires two to give +1D. It's not so huge... but there is a bit more difference between 9 Jedi giving you a +3D, and 9 Jedi giving you a 4D+2. Drop a Force Point on that as well, and you've got some pretty ludicrous bonuses if you want it.

True, but I think in their particular instance, they only have two jedi.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:

Thank's cheshire, I just checked it out. Link looks to be exactly what we were discussing in the OOC thread to Vong's game.

Wanted Poster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: