The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Electric Judgment Force Power: Let me know what you think...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Electric Judgment Force Power: Let me know what you think... Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Electric Judgment Force Power: Let me know what you think... Reply with quote

Electric Judgment

Warning: A Jedi who uses this power for any reason, other than to incapacitate an opponent, gains a Dark Side Point.
Control Difficulty: Difficult, as modified by proximity. Limited to line of sight.
Alter Difficulty: Perception or control roll of target.
Effect: This power was developed by Jedi Master Plo Koon, in order to incapacitate an opponent, rather than to kill him/her. When used, it produces sparks of yellow or green that dances across the target. Armor does not protect a character from electric judgment. These sparks, if used successfully will overload their nervous system, rendering the target unconscious for 2D minutes for each 2D of alter the user has (rounding down: a character with an alter of 7D will cause the opponent to be unconscious for 6D minutes).

Last edited by Treefrog on Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few mechanical elements missing. How do we know if it successfully disables the opponent? Do we roll damage up to half of your Alter dice like Force Lightning? How do we make the difference between disabling the person or killing them?

Just a few questions for your second draft of the power. (By the way, don't get discouraged when you're doing multiple drafts of powers... sometimes it takes me several tries to get it right when I'm doing conversions.)
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
There are a few mechanical elements missing. How do we know if it successfully disables the opponent? Do we roll damage up to half of your Alter dice like Force Lightning? How do we make the difference between disabling the person or killing them?

Just a few questions for your second draft of the power. (By the way, don't get discouraged when you're doing multiple drafts of powers... sometimes it takes me several tries to get it right when I'm doing conversions.)

Would this be an appropriate resolution:

Electric Judgment

Warning: A Jedi who uses this power for any reason, other than to incapacitate an opponent, gains a Dark Side Point.
Control Difficulty: Difficult, as modified by proximity. Limited to line of sight.
Effect: This power was developed by Jedi Master Plo Koon, in order to incapacitate an opponent, rather than to kill him/her. When used, it produces sparks of yellow or green that dances across the target. Armor does not protect a character from electric judgment. Since this power is Force-generated, it may be repelled with absorb/dissipate energy.
These sparks, if used successfully will overload their nervous system, rendering the target unconscious for 2D minutes for each 2D of alter the user has (rounding down: a character with an alter of 7D will cause the opponent to be unconscious for 6D minutes).
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For information purposes, this is the very first Force power for D6 that I've created.

Be gentle.... Very Happy Laughing
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than adding the bit about ab/dis can absorb it, there is no difference between the first and second write up
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll show you what my problem is.

Jedi Jim has 8D in Alter. Sith Smith has a Control of 3D.

Jedi Jim activates power and rolls a 15.
Sith Smith rolls to resist and gets a miserable 4.
Jedi Jim is 11 over, so... what happens?

Lets say Sith Smith rolls 12. What happens?

Let's say Jedi Jim gets a whopping 24, and Sith Smith gets a 6. What happens?

Is the power meant to be calculated as stun damage, or as normal damage, and Jedi Jim gets slapped with a DSP for accidentally pushing too much of the stuff through the guy?

Don't get me wrong... I'm not getting down on your power. I'm just trying to fill out all of my questions so that you have a solid power at the end of this.
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you mean, although I thought that the last sentence of paragraph 2 was pretty obvious about it being stun damage, but I can also see that its pretty vague....

Revision 3:

Electric Judgment

Effect: This power was developed by Jedi Master Plo Koon, in order to incapacitate an opponent, rather than to kill him/her. When used, it produces sparks of yellow or green that dance across the target. Armor does not protect a character from electric judgment. Since this power is Force-generated, it may be repelled with absorb/dissipate energy.

These sparks, if used successfully, will overload the target’s nervous system, rendering him stunned for 2D minutes for each 2D of alter the user has (round down: a character with alter of 7D will cause the opponent to be stunned unconscious for 6D minutes).
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recommendation is:

Quote:
Electric Judgment

Effect: This power was developed by Jedi Master Plo Koon, in order to incapacitate an opponent, rather than to kill him/her. When used, it produces sparks of yellow or green that dance across the target. Armor does not protect a character from electric judgment. Since this power is Force-generated, it may be repelled with absorb/dissipate energy.

The Jedi has the power to determine whether this damage is non-lethal or lethal. If the power is successful the target is wracked with electricity causing 1D of Damage (Real or Stun) for ever 2D of alter the initiator posses. This damage bypasses armor and is soaked normally. If the Jedi uses stun damage, a result of Wounded or higher overloads the target’s nervous system, rendering him stunned for 1D minutes for each 2D of alter the user has (round down: a character with alter of 7D will cause the opponent to be stunned unconscious for 3D minutes).

The reason I think that this power should have the capability of killing an opponent is because Plo Koon when interviewed by the council prior to his invitation expressed some concerns with the usage, being that it is very closely related with another more dark ability: Force Lightning. Conceptually they're the exact same power, however, Master Koon has such control over himself, that he only uses the power to the point of incapacitation. So, even increasing the difficulty of the versus roll, target's perception or control +5 or +10, could even make sense to me based on the amount of personal self restraint that the initiator needs to not kill his opponent, if the Jedi using the power beats his opponent, but doesn't beat the additional difficulty, they do real damage, which gives the user a dark side point.

Those are my understanding of the description of the power's use in Jedi vs Sith: the Essential Guide to the Force.
Take it for what you will. However, I always liked the fact that Master Koon was able to throw this stuff around with little to no fear of attaining dark side points. Awesome addition! 8)
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Raven!

Revision 4:

Electric Judgment
Effect: This power was developed by Jedi Master Plo Koon, in order to incapacitate an opponent, rather than to kill him/her. When used, it produces sparks of yellow or green that dance across the target. Armor does not protect a character from electric judgment. Since this power is Force-generated, it may be repelled with absorb/dissipate energy. The target may make a Strength roll to resist.

These sparks, if used successfully, will overload the target’s nervous system, rendering him stunned for 2D minutes for each 2D of alter the user has (round down: a character with alter of 7D will cause the opponent to be stunned unconscious for 6D minutes). If the use of the power exceeds the target’s Strength roll by more than one damage category, the stunning damage is converted to actual damage.

Example: Jorj, who has an control of 4D, and an alter of 3D+1 attempts to use electric judgment on an attacking stormtrooper (who has a strength of 3D and a perception 2D). Jorj makes his control roll (18) and then the following alter roll (8), while the stormtrooper has his perception roll of (7): the power hits. Jorj rolls his stun damage, and gets a (24). The stormtrooper rolls his strength to try and resist the damage, and gets an (8). The stormtrooper, instead of falling unconscious, is instead killed, and Jorj (in shock), falls to his knees while staring at his hands as if in betrayal. If the stormtrooper had made a strength roll of (16), then he would have fallen unconscious for 7 minutes, instead.

Did that example make sense?
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or here's revision 5:

Electric Judgment
Effect: This power was developed by Jedi Master Plo Koon, in order to incapacitate an opponent, rather than to kill him/her. When used, it produces sparks of yellow or green that dance across the target. Armor does not protect a character from electric judgment. Since this power is Force-generated, it may be repelled with absorb/dissipate energy. The target may make a strength roll to resist.

These sparks, if used successfully, will overload the target’s nervous system, rendering him stunned for 2D minutes for each 2D of alter the user has (round down: a character with alter of 7D will cause the opponent to be stunned unconscious for 6D minutes). If the number of stunning dice exceeds the target’s Strength attribute by more than 2D, then the stunning damage is converted to actual damage.
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. Perhaps I was confused by the statement that if the power was used for any other reason than to incapacitate. I thought that implied that you could use it to kill someone.
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I see. Perhaps I was confused by the statement that if the power was used for any other reason than to incapacitate. I thought that implied that you could use it to kill someone.

Obviously, a character that is more predisposed to slaughter would obviously use it as if it is Force lightning. However, if it is used to incapacitate, its pretty effective.
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it can be used just the same as Force lightning?
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:

Pretty much, except that if you check the wookiepedia entry for it, Plo Koon used it as a means to incapacitate a kidnapper who had a child held hostage.

According to Plo Koon, these "bolts" were more yellowish/green than the typical blue of Force lightning. He developed it further, and called it Electric Judgment.

On page 447 of The Unifying Force, 3rd paragraph:
"From Luke's left hand gathered a blinding tangle of energy manipulated into being by the raw power of the Force. As if hitting an invisible wall, the warrior stopped short, then spasmed as green sparks began to corscate around him. Enveloped, he fell like [a] tree."
wolfe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:

Have you seen the debates on this power online?

Gawd, it has caused out right flame wars on some boards.
Apparently "electric judgement" and "emerald lightning" are the same power and has done everything from having Jacen Solo say it can't actually kill, it only saps their strength and willpower (which to me looks like just what happened to Palpatine being affected by his own force lightning in ROTS) to Luke Skywalker instantly and completely deep frying a Vong Slayer with it.

We just called it "Emerald lightning" and used the description from the Ta-Ree magic power "Generate lightning" and was done with it.

The authors seem to enjoy renaming darkside powers with some tree hugger name and having it used with "good intent" thus allowing the jedi no ill consequences in using them, even though the authors don't seem to recall that "good intentions" is what caused Anakin to fall to the dark side in the first place.

Can't wait till they come up with the "Force Storm" tree hugger variant.
That will be nice to be able to wipe out entire solar systems with little consequence for Jedi's with "good intentions". Laughing

The only difference between the jedi lightning and the force lightning was "intent", which is why we went with the Ta-Ree generate lightning.

Last edited by wolfe on Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: