The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Stormtrooper Units & OoB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Stormtrooper Units & OoB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Stormtrooper Units & OoB Reply with quote

Hey there,

New to the boards and have looked through various topics but haven't found an answer to this question, and so wondered if I might pick everyone's brains...

(Forgive if this is covered elsewhere, I could not find it...)

Has anyone sat down and figured out unit strengths and the Order of Battle for Stormtroopers?

Everything I've found has come back with conflicting reports, some state one thing while others state conflicting info, for instance from Wookieepedia: "three-company deployments with 540 troopers. Standard stormtrooper battalions, however, are cited as comprising 800 to 820 men"

Imperial Army (and from that can be construed Navy) units are well documented in the Imperial Sourcebook, and copied verbatim to Wookieepedia, but Stormtroopers, the supposed elite shock troops of the Galactic Empire are barely given a paragraph...

Has anyone sat down and figured things out? I mean, you can take some numbers from the Imperial Army, lose the support personal and droids, and work from there, but it still doesn't ring true to me...

Any thoughts?

Smile

T.C.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Rules of Engagement: Rebel Spec Force Handbook on page 97, Stormtrooper Order of battle is described as follows:

Quote:
The stormtrooper legion's internal structure is similar to the Imperial Army OB, but more flexible. A squad has from 4 to 12 stormtroopers. Squads are organized into platoons, platoons into companies, companies into battalions. here the structure varies as battalions form into divisions, a unit corresponding to the Army regiment, and not related to the Old Republic division. (To add to this confusion the Army no longer uses the term division, and instead refers to battlegroups.) Divisions, in turn, form into legions, a unit corresponding to the Army battlegroup. There is no larger stormtrooper unit, although several legions may combine forces in a sector or operation. A common arrangement is to assign a legion to each branch of sector's Imperial government: one legion for the Army, another for the Navy, and a third to the Moff's discretion (the Moff's Own).

So, with that description, I would assume that the larger orders would fall into the same sizes as Imperial Army, however the breakdown of the order would come down to the above squad size, or as close as you can manage with it still being even.

Hope this helps.
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know something? I never thought to check in the RSF handbook! Smile

Ok, with what I already had pieced together, as well as that clarification, here's what I have if it's of use to anyone:

Fire Team 4 total
    1 x Fire Team Leader - Corporal
    3 x Stormtrooper

Squad 9 total

1 x Squad Leader - Sergeant
    Fire Team 1 (4 men)
    Fire Team 2 (4 men)

Platoon 40 total

1 x Platoon Leader - Lieutenant
    1 x Senior Sergeant - Comms
    2 x Stormtroopers
    Stormtrooper Squad 1 (9 men)
    Stormtrooper Squad 2 (9 men)
    Stormtrooper Squad 3 (9 men)
    Stormtrooper Squad 4 (9 men)

Company 174 total

1 x Company Commander - Captain
    1 x S1 - Company 2O - Lieutenant
    1 x S2 - Comms Officer - Lieutenant
    2 x Stormtroopers
    Hvy Wp Squad (9 men)
    Stormtrooper Platoon 1 (40 men)
    Stormtrooper Platoon 2 (40 men)
    Stormtrooper Platoon 3 (40 men)
    Stormtrooper Platoon 4 (40 men)

Battalion 820 total

Battalion Headquarters (44 men)
    Hvy Wp Platoon (40 men)
    Scout Platoon (40 men)
    Stormtrooper Company 1 (174 men)
    Stormtrooper Company 2 (174 men)
    Stormtrooper Company 3 (174 men)
    Stormtrooper Company 4 (174 men)

Division 3364 total

Divisional Headquarters (84 men)
    Stormtrooper Battalion 1 (820 men)
    Stormtrooper Battalion 2 (820 men)
    Hvy Wp Battalion 1 (820 men)
    Hvy Wp Battalion 2 (820 men)

Legion 14012 total

Legion Headquarters (208 men)
    Stormtrooper Division 1 (3364 men)
    Stormtrooper Division 2 (3364 men)
    Stormtrooper Division 3 (3364 men)
    Stormtrooper Division 4 (3364 men)
    Scout Troop 1 (174 men)
    Scout Troop 2 (174 men)

The assumption with these numbers is that an ISD holds 9,700 troops (and is quoted as holding a division of Stormtroopers), these would consist of one Division of Stormtroopers, and one augmented Regiment, or two regular Regiments, of Imperial Army and/or Navy troops...

How do these numbers sound, and do they settle well with anyone?

As background, one of my players was asking and we could readily find details on the Army OoB, but we were trying to put something together for the Men In White... Very Happy

T.C.
Doomhead
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its funny, if I was in the imperial army I would be in charge of a company.... but in the Air force, I'm in charge of a desk!!!!

FYI:

Order of Battle is usually abbreviated to OB.

http://www.box.net/shared/cn6f7sdkog
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
wolfe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Saga Rebellion era book has the stormtrooper basic OOB listed.
(TyCaine you left out Regiment)

Never bothered with divisions as the only time "Division" ever came up with stormtroopers is the description in the Star destroyer, used Legion instead.

Quote:
Its funny, if I was in the imperial army I would be in charge of a company....

I'd be in charge of a Regiment Razz retired before getting to politician status (desk duty).
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll checked out the Rebellion Era Saga book, and found it to be yet another take on the Stormtrooper OB...

Though from all the sources I've found so far the Regiment unit was used in the Imperial Army, whereas in the Stormtroopers it was replaced by Division (about same strength), and Battlegroup/Brigade in Imperial Army was replaced by Legion (again about the same strength)....

I'm beginning to think there's as many ways to map out the units of the Stormtrooper Corps as there are Stormtroopers, whereas the Imperial Army is relatively well documented and fairly similar across most systems (although in saying that, a second look at Rebellion Era Campaign Guide in Saga again gives the Army a different disposition than other sources)..

Smile Not sure where I would go from here, and I presume we have to put the differences down to individual interpretations... In which case, if anything I did was useful, then cool! Wink

T.C.
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do not know what the mtoe is for a stormtrooper unit. I always patterned most military stuff in sw after what i know, manuver units in the us army.

large units usually have special troops attached to them, depending on mission. these will throw your numbers off. also, how many troops from a modern army would be droids in their army is debatable too.

i guess you could use a manuver unit for example. it has 7 companies
-headquarters
-medical and special troops fall here, as do your troops in the battalion hq. scouts, snipers, communications, etc. also the battalion commander's staff

-2 comanies of mech infantry
- each has abot 110 troops. they have bradleys, which can fight on their own and can let out an infantry fire team apiece.

-2 companies of tanks
- each of these companies only has about 60 soldiers. they operate tanks, which are more of an offensive weapon than the bradleys

-a company of engineers
- these guys blow things up and fortify existing structures. also have earth movers

-a support company
-mechanics, cooks and truck drivers to basically sum it up. a lot of these guys would be droids...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: