The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Golden Sun Revisited
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Golden Sun Revisited
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JT Swift
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Golden Sun Revisited Reply with quote

Well I was going to post here sometime this week to ask a question about "Battle for the Golden Sun."

My questions was going to be: If you play the story as written then at the end there's still an Imperial Garrison stationed on the planet that can be used to do bad things to the Sedrians. I thought I could tack on an extra episode where the PCs got and destroy the Garrison at the end of the stroy but, after the big battle with Karak that seems anti-climactic. I was wondering if anyone has any fixes for this?

However yesterday my PCs decided that instead of going back to the city to raise an army to fight the Swimmer they'd just stay in the Garrison and take capture the swimmer right now. I honestly tried to make this as difficult as I could for them - but the Force was with my players (and their wild dies) and within two hours they had not only captured the Swimmer but also used it to SINK the Garrison by shooting out the generators and other stuff on the inside!

All I managed to do was have the other Imperial forces outside the Garrison shoot up the Swimmer enough that they had to ditch it AFTER they sunk the Garrison! Rolling Eyes

For Everything about the TARDIS check out
http://www.whoniverse.net/tardis/

For all things Gallifreyan check out
http://meshyfish.com/~roo/index.html
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeouch. Some times the best laid plans get the dice god against them. One thing you could do is have the base be rigged to self destruct. This would cause one heck of a Tsunami as well as destroy a large swathe of the seabed. Since they did destroy the genny, it could have triggered the self destruct. This way they have to come back with more troops to try and take the base to get in and terminate that self destruct.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ran this adventure for a few different groups, but never ran it exactly as is because I thought I could make it better. And then of course, you've got the players who can make their own changes to the adventure plans like you mentioned.

One time I ran it, the garrison was severely damaged (sunk) by the Rebels at the end of Chapter 3, but the AT-AT Swimmer, Tie Boats, etc. escaped or were already out on patrol, so they still posed a threat later, even after the garrison had been taken out.

Another time, the adventure was rearranged so that the destruction of the garrison was the climax of the adventure.

And another time, the destruction of the garrision was the climax of a sequel adventure I devised.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Yak Face
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I redid this adventure just last year as part of our pirate campaign. The PCs went in "away-team" style at first, leaving their pirate ship way out at the edge of the system. The adventure disables the PC's ship at the mission start - but there was no way I was going to crash their capital ship into the sea. I simply fried a bunch of systems and let it drift while the engineers tried to figure out what to do. After making contact with the Sedrians they went into the base commando style looking for the Rebel dude, per the usual plot, and to do a little snooping and sabotage. They wound up disabling the base shield generator, which was useful later. Once the battle around the Sedrian city was resolved the pirate ship was back in operation, and subsequently called in for an assault on the garrison. Following an orbital bombardment and mopping up by the pirate crew they stripped the garrison of some remaining goodies (including a couple of the heavy batteries) before beating a hasty retreat.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...A tricky one to run properly, but the rewards can be worth it. The rules for underwater combat are a must-read (blasters doing 2D less damage, grenades more effective by far even if that works both ways, Lightsabers all but unusable foils most Force-using PCs, & using the Swimming skill for movement--a skill hardly anyone buys up initially, if at all). I found it only required a few adaptations:

1st) The Garrison's Turbolaser Batteries were fully operational (even an out of the way garrison is still a symbol of Imperial power over non-humans, like Sedrians). Once set up, the guns were brought online at the 1st opportunity so the initial forces could defend it at their strongest.

2nd) Put in sea creatures that made Tooch (Karak's pet) look like a sardine! Wink

3rd) Had reinforements enroute for the garrison. These arrive as the PCs are trying to parley with the Renegades. The initial attack on the Sedrian village goes on as planned, however, once repulsed (assuming it is) the PCs find out that there are more "Swimmers" (3 AT-AT, & 6 AT-ST), a full contingent of TIE Boats, a full TIE/IN squadron, a full complement of Tie Bombers (armed with torpedoes, depth charges, & other nasty items), & another 400 troops.
--The first time I used this helped foil the plans of a player who had read the module before I ran it (only a small change, but worked beautifully!). This can be tied in by having the Imperials' supply ship not destroyed enroute, but simply lost in space for a while.

4th) One the Golden Sun is released from its shell, the number of Force Sensitives on Sedri increased--this included a number of Imperials. Though now more widespread, an empowered coral remains: allowing Sun Guns to still be available, & repowering the PCs ship (a creative PC was able to craft a lightsaber incorporating this crystal--though its damage dice reduced when off planet).

...Just a few ideas! Hope this helps.
JT Swift
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Golden Sun Reply with quote

Awesome!

The PCs and Karak basically became avatars for the two halves of the coral (dark and light) that were struggling against each others. Of course the PCs had to decide to submit to the light side Coral’s control (only some of them said yes). Then there was an epic battle where they all got to use just about all the Force Powers in the book. (Given everyone is pretty low level it was quite exciting to have ~9D in Control Sense and Alter even if it only lasted a few combat turns).

I had a Star Destroyer in orbit (with Inquisitor Treymane on board) and (after being redeemed to the light side) the Golden Sun threw the Star Destroyer out of the system (hey, it worked in those Kevin J Anderson novels). I also kept the Golden Sun around at the end and had the Sedri form an alliance with the…er…Alliance.

Next up is probably “Graveyard of Alderaan.”

I’m also going to run “Starfall” with a different group next week. I’m replacing Blissex with Adar Talon (this will be his old Star Destroyer from the Clone Wars) and using it as a boot-up story with all the PCs breaking out of their cell in the Star destroyer and not knowing each other.

- Brian "The Storyteller" Swift

"I was told by the producer that the
guiding principle was to make the
scripts complex enough to keep the
Kids interested and simple enough for
the Adults to understand!"
-Douglas Adams on writing Doctor Who

http://meshyfish.com/~roo/
http://roo.scificities.com/

http://meshyfish.com/~roo/index.html
Nico_Davout
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starfall, I love this adventure Smile. I have GM it two or three times, always have a lot of fun with my players. I really recommend this one!

Han Solo shot first, midichlosomething do not exist, Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG books and indoctrination theory is the true ending of ME3.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nico_Davout wrote:
Starfall, I love this adventure Smile. I have GM it two or three times, always have a lot of fun with my players. I really recommend this one!

Me too.

JT Swift wrote:
I’m also going to run “Starfall” with a different group next week. I’m replacing Blissex with Adar Talon (this will be his old Star Destroyer from the Clone Wars) and using it as a boot-up story with all the PCs breaking out of their cell in the Star destroyer and not knowing each other.

Excellent idea! I haven't done that but I think I mentioned elsewhere that I have replaced Adar Talon with Walex Blissex in Tatooine Manhunt.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starfall is an all-time classic! I've never gotten tired of it, no matter how many times I've played it.

Starfall could use its own thread! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: