The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Stats: Exar Kuun
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Stats: Exar Kuun Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: Stats: Exar Kuun Reply with quote

...Was wondering if anyone had tried to actually to put stats down for this guy. Twisted Evil
MasterKazur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't yet (although I am working on some stats of my own), but I found some at this site:
http://rpggamer.org/stats.php?page=d6/d6exarkun.html&name=Exar%20Kun%20

I think they're pretty accurate when meassured up against the other official stats, though I would probabaly have made him a little bit more powerful.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rebellion converted D20 stats from the Dark Side Sourcebook.

Quote:
Exar Kun, Former Jedi Knight, Sith Lord (DSS, pages 77-78 )
Dexterity 3D+2
blaster 9D, brawling parry 8D+1, dodge 8D+1, lightsaber 10D+2, lightsaber: double-bladed lightsaber 10D, melee combat 9D+2, melee parry 8D+2
Knowledge 2D+1
intimidation 6D+1, languages 3D+2, scholar: Jedi lore 5D+2, scholar: Sith lore 7D+1
Mechanical 3D
Perception 2D+1
Strength 4D
brawling 9D+2
Technical 2D+2
computer programming/repair 3D+1, lightsaber repair 4D+2
Control 8D+2
Sense 8D
Alter 7D
Force Powers: Absorb/Dissipate Energy, Accelerate Another's Healing, Affect Mind, Alchemy, Channel Rage, Combat Sense, Concentration, Control Another's Pain, Control Pain, Danger Sense, Emptiness, Enhance Attribute, Enhance Another's Attribute, Feed on Dark Side, Force Lightning, Force of Will, Force Push, Hibernation Trance, Inflict Pain, Injure/Kill, Life Detection, Life Sense, Lightsaber Combat, Place Another in Hibernation Trance, Receptive Telepathy, Sense Force, Sense Force Potential, Sith Sorcery, Telekinesis, Transfer Force.
Force Points: 6
Dark Side Points: 12
Requested By: Jerry

[url]
http://www.verminary.com/rebellion/requests.html[/url]

Wanted Poster
MasterKazur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:
The Rebellion converted D20 stats from the Dark Side Sourcebook.

Quote:
Exar Kun, Former Jedi Knight, Sith Lord (DSS, pages 77-78 )
Dexterity 3D+2
blaster 9D, brawling parry 8D+1, dodge 8D+1, lightsaber 10D+2, lightsaber: double-bladed lightsaber 10D, melee combat 9D+2, melee parry 8D+2
Knowledge 2D+1
intimidation 6D+1, languages 3D+2, scholar: Jedi lore 5D+2, scholar: Sith lore 7D+1
Mechanical 3D
Perception 2D+1
Strength 4D
brawling 9D+2
Technical 2D+2
computer programming/repair 3D+1, lightsaber repair 4D+2
Control 8D+2
Sense 8D
Alter 7D
Force Powers: Absorb/Dissipate Energy, Accelerate Another's Healing, Affect Mind, Alchemy, Channel Rage, Combat Sense, Concentration, Control Another's Pain, Control Pain, Danger Sense, Emptiness, Enhance Attribute, Enhance Another's Attribute, Feed on Dark Side, Force Lightning, Force of Will, Force Push, Hibernation Trance, Inflict Pain, Injure/Kill, Life Detection, Life Sense, Lightsaber Combat, Place Another in Hibernation Trance, Receptive Telepathy, Sense Force, Sense Force Potential, Sith Sorcery, Telekinesis, Transfer Force.
Force Points: 6
Dark Side Points: 12
Requested By: Jerry

[url]
http://www.verminary.com/rebellion/requests.html[/url]

These stats seem kinda low-powered, don't they?
Its just like I alway say: If you wanna keep your stats in line with the official d6 material, you can't just convert from d20 using the guidelines.
You'll end up with stats like this.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'm not the one who converted them. I just posted. Schnarre wanted stats, that's what I gave them.

Wanted Poster
MasterKazur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, and I didn't mean any disrespect.
I'm quite familiar with the website where you found the stats.
I was just stating that I found them somewhat out of sync with the official stats, thats all.

No hard feelings?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't think the stats from rebellion are terribly underpowered. When you look at the stats for Jedi knights in Tales of the Jedi, your average knight is running around with 4D or 5D lightsaber and their force attributes in the 1D+x to 3D max. I think that Exar Kun is quite potent for that time period. Arca Jeth was one of the most powerful Jedi of the time, and he is slain by an assassin droid. Those stats that you've linked for Kun, I think are more appropriate sometime in the NJO era, for his dark side spirit. I wasn't so nice to my players when they were dealing with the spirit of Exar Kun, and I gave him Freedon Nadd's stats.

When you look at the time period itself. Kun is a paragon of a force user, even with Dark side sourcebook conversion. What he has going for him, is that no one sees him coming, for the most part, and he has access to very powerful artifacts. In addition he has troves of expendable shock troops. I really think that for your average campaign, the stats Hellcat supplied are more than sufficient.
MasterKazur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I really don't think the stats from rebellion are terribly underpowered. When you look at the stats for Jedi knights in Tales of the Jedi, your average knight is running around with 4D or 5D lightsaber and their force attributes in the 1D+x to 3D max. I think that Exar Kun is quite potent for that time period. Arca Jeth was one of the most powerful Jedi of the time, and he is slain by an assassin droid. Those stats that you've linked for Kun, I think are more appropriate sometime in the NJO era, for his dark side spirit. I wasn't so nice to my players when they were dealing with the spirit of Exar Kun, and I gave him Freedon Nadd's stats.

When you look at the time period itself. Kun is a paragon of a force user, even with Dark side sourcebook conversion. What he has going for him, is that no one sees him coming, for the most part, and he has access to very powerful artifacts. In addition he has troves of expendable shock troops. I really think that for your average campaign, the stats Hellcat supplied are more than sufficient.

Hmm... I don't know Confused
The Knights in TotJ Sourcebook seem to be fairly green/new.
Like Luke in between ANH and ESB. Aren't they on their very first mission.
There likely were Jedi Knights alive who were in the 8D-10D level.
Exar Kun had some pretty impressive Force feats, and is considered the more powerful than the greatest of the Jedi Knights.

But even so, the stats Hellcat posted don't make any sense.
Like Blaster 9D.
Blaster pistols weren't even invested in this time period. They used pulse-wave weapons.
And when you convert d20 all your combat abilities come out way high like Exar's 9D+2 Brawling skill.
And his lightstaff skill being lower than his lightsaber skill also doesn't make any sense. (This is also from d20 where you can attack multiple times with a double edged weapon, though with a lower attack modifier).
At the very least these two skills should be the same. Probably just a lightsaber skill. If anything he would have made a specialization called "lightstaff" that is highter than his regular lightsaber skill.
Otherwise his two duels with Vodo-Siosk Baas don't add up.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the time of the Krath uprising, the galaxy was using new "blaster technology", Pulse-wave tech was new as of the battle of Onderon, with the beast riders. So him having the blaster skill isn't necessarily terribly outlandish.

When they show Kun dueling Crado, he doesn't just use the saber, he lashes out with physical attacks also, side kicks and what not. Not terribly out there to give him a decent brawling skill.

When you do a specialization at character creation, the skill is higher, but, when you learn a skill specialization after character creation, you start from square one. Take Han Solo and his blaster rifle specialization which is quite a bit lower than his standard blaster skill, and massively lower than his Heavy Blaster Pistol specialization.

Anyway, you're right that the stats in Tales of the Jedi reflect their first adventure out, but they probably still aren't that much better by the time of Exar Kun. Not to mention the fact that up until Exar rolls to fall to the dark side, he gets his dark side point bonus stacked on top, which could have been how he bested his master the first time.
Not to mention the fact that Vodo Siosk Baas wasn't a renowned fighter, he was a scholar, much like Master Odan-Urr. Master Thon is only in the 10D to 11D range.

All I'm saying is that both sets make sense, just at different time periods. I think the ones that Hellcat posted are more appropriate for when he's building himself up. And the other ones are appropriate by the end encounter.
MasterKazur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
When you do a specialization at character creation, the skill is higher, but, when you learn a skill specialization after character creation, you start from square one. Take Han Solo and his blaster rifle specialization which is quite a bit lower than his standard blaster skill, and massively lower than his Heavy Blaster Pistol specialization.

I agree with you about everything (except the blaster skill thing), but this I think I will need explained further.
I am also certain that you're wrong.

Luke Skywalker has MECHANICAL 4D, starfighter piloting 7D.
If he decides to take the specialization X-wing, wouldn't he get it at 8D, and cost him 4 CP???
It wouldn't make sense for him to get it at "square one". Why would he suddenly be WORSE at a skill???
I mean, a second ago he had 7D i ALL starfighter INCLUDING x-wings. Now, since he decides to specialize in that type of fighter he is MUCH worse at it...
I am 99.9999999% certain that you are wrong about this.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely not. I was just recently discussing this elsewhere on one of Jamfke's games (elsewhere as in on RPD) and even in the 2nd Edition R&E there's nothing I can find that states you get a specialization above the base skill when you get it new. You pay X CP to earn it at one pip above the attribute like you do for the base skill. Of course I may be wrong, and wouldn't mind it.

Wanted Poster
MasterKazur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that this is more or less implied.
Examples in the official stats include Han Solo getting Dodge: energy weapons at 1D higher than his regular dodge.
Luke getting SP: X-wing higher than his regular starfighter piloting.
Luke getting Droid repair: astromechs higher than his droid repair.

If you really think about it this is a no brainer.
C'mon...
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page 33 of Star Wars Trilogy Sourcebook:
Just going to put down his dexterity and skills, and then you can draw whatever conclusions that you like about it.

Quote:
Han Solo (As of the Battle of Yavin)

Dexterity 3D+1: Blaster 6D+2, Blaster: Heavy Blaster Pistol 9D+1, Blaster: Blaster Rifle 5D+1, Blaster Artillery 6D+1, Brawling Parry 6D, Dodge 8D, Grenade 5D+1, Melee combat 6D+1, Melee Parry 5D, Missile Weapons 4D, Pick Pocket 4D+1, Running 3D+2, Vehicle Blasters 6D+1

Page 35 of Star Wars Roleplaying Game 2nd Edition R&E

Quote:
Learning New Skills:
Skills and Specializations. Characters can learn a new skill or specialization by paying enough Character Points to advance it one pip above the attribute.
There is no training time if the character "used the skill" in the last adventure (i.e., used the attribute when doing something that would be covered by the skill). Otherwise, use the normal rules for training time.

The rule that you're thinking of is when spending skill dice for specializations at character creation. Not character points for character development.
MasterKazur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has to have been a slip on the phrasing of the paragraph.
If you notice in the example that follows it doesn't say anything about specializations.
My guess is that Han Solo (at the time of "creation"), when he was in the Imperial Navy, had Dexterity 3D+1 and then placed 1D i blaster and took the specialization blaster rifles. Since he didn't really use blaster rifles after leaving the Empire it just stayed at 5D+1.

It would make ABSOLUTELY ZERO SENSE for specializations. specializations to start out worse than the base skill.
Think about this guys. Really think about it.

You're playing a pilot character. You have a MECHANICAL of 3D+2 and a space transports skill of a whooping 9D+1. You spend all your time flying your ship (a light freighter called the Dawn Breaker). Then one day you decide to specialize in these crafts since you've been flying it for a year or so and never fly any other type of starship.
Then you take the specialization but your ability to pilot your ship drops from 9D+1 to 4D!!!!
This is absourdly stupid!
This would make taking a specialization after character creation the dumbest thing you can possibly do.
How do you explain IN UNIVERSE that your ability to pilot a ship, that you focus ALL your time and training on, would suddenly drop more than 50 %???

If you think about this, it is clear that the rules are just poorly phrased in regards to this.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it does say specialization. I don't necessarily agree with it. However, I can see where it would make sense, simply for game balance. Example: character begins raising his dodge skill to unparalleled heights let's say. 13D, spending the 13 character points per pip is getting to be rather costly, so the character thinks: "Hey, I'll just specialize in energy weapons because I tend to be getting shot at by blasters a lot." Spends the 13 character points one last time, then gets Dodge: Energy Weapons 13D+1, from then on, it's half cost... Not to mention the fact that there are several specializations that exist in the game which when properly applied can be death to all. Namely: Martial Arts. If using the rules from Rules of Engagement, a character can hit harder than any blaster weapon known, with few exceptions of course. And, if you take into account the I've already raised my brawling skill, why wouldn't this be better attitude, then you wind up with some fledgling white belt who can best a black belt, not to mention a plethora of special moves after only spending the first set of character points.

In my opinion, this whole situation could be avoided by simply requiring that characters who are progressing later, must specialize when learning a new skill. Must. Like my jedi character who learned how to fly on an X-wing, so I had him learn the skill Starfighter Piloting: X-Wing. However, this is also assuming that the control boards for every single ship, or the nomenclature for every single blaster in the galaxy are exactly the same. A man trains his entire life with a pistol, then picks up a rifle one day after never using it. Is he going to be an awesome shot with it? Not likely.

It is possible that you're right about Han, it's also possible that during his stay on the Deathstar and his using the Blaster Rifles that were procured off the Storm Troopers there, he spent character points and began familiarizing himself with a rifle.

One could also think about it like this, learning to go from an automatic transmission to a manual. Are you saying that because you're an expert in the first, that the other isn't completely foreign to you?

Anyway, the direction this discussion is going, it should be in official or house rules.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: