The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

De-powering Lightsaber Combat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> De-powering Lightsaber Combat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hazardchris
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: De-powering Lightsaber Combat Reply with quote

I already use the Moon Swing Chronicles version of Lightsaber Combat but I've always felt that it was a little over-powered. In higher-level play 20D isn't unheard of.

I've come up with an idea that I might implement in my next campaign (we're using advanced characters from my old campaign) that I think will help balance out the "jedi factor." Here's the version of the power that I currently use

Lightsaber Combat
    Control Difficulty: (See Below)
    Sense Difficulty: (See Below)
    Time to use: Instantaneous
    Required Powers: Nil

Effects: To use a lightsaber most effectively, a Jedi learns this power. The Jedi uses this power both to wield this elegant but difficult-to-control weapon while also sensing his opponent’s actions through his connection to the Force.
    When a character wishes to use a lightsaber, the power automatically activates.
    When using this power, the Jedi adds his sense dice to his lightsaber skill roll when trying to hit a target or parry, with a -2D to the users sense skill.
    If the hit is successful, he may then add or subtract up to the number of his control dice to the lightsaber’s 5D damage also with a penalty of -2D. Players must decide how many control dice they are adding or subtraction before they roll damage.
    Finally, the Jedi may use lightsaber combat to parry blaster bolts. To do this, the Jedi does not have to declare the parry that round, and may perform such an action as a reactionary skill usage.
    The Jedi may also attempt to control where deflected blaster bolts go, although this counts as an additional action. The Jedi must declare which specific shot he is controlling. Then, once the roll is made to see if the blaster bolt was parried by the Jedi, the Jedi makes a sense roll, with the difficulty being his new target’s dodge or the range (figured from the Jedi to the target). When a Jedi attempts to control the direction the bolt goes, the Jedi’s sense skill is affected by the normal multiple action penalty rules. The damage is that of the original blaster bolt.

The Force skills used in Lightsaber Combat (for the to-hit or damage roll) are not further penalized by any other multiple action penalties or any other modifiers other than the -2D.

What I'm thinking of doing is dropping the multiple action penalty, and allow players to add only half the number of D before control and sense (rounded up, pips do not count) to their damage and attack rolls.

Here's an example.

Jedi A has Lightsabers 7D+1, Control 3D+1 and Sense 4D.

He activates Lightsaber Combat, and can add/subtract up to 2D to his attack and parry rolls while being able to add/subtract up to 2D+1 to his damage rolls.

I think that it retains the incredible nature of the Lightsaber being more dangerous in the hands of a Jedi, while at the same time making a highly-skilled non-Jedi (such as Boba Fett) a dangerous foe.

Let me make you a picture!

Last edited by hazardchris on Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:43 pm; edited 4 times in total
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it's because I'm multitasking while reading this, but this looks more like a summary than a revision. Could you outline the differences for me?
hazardchris
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. It's an idea that I had in the shower this morning and I kinda rushed my summary up there.

Here's what I've changed from the stock version of the power.

-No roll to activate power.
-No multiple action penalties for keeping power "up".
-With this power, a jedi can add up to half the number of D they have in Control (pips do not count in the math, but do add to the roll) to their attack roll. A jedi may also add half the number of D that they have in their sense die to their damage roll (all numbers are rounded up).

I included an example in my last post but I'll include it here for simplicity's sake in addition to expanding it a bit.

Bob the Jedi has Lightsabers 7D+1, Control 3D+1 and Sense 4D.

He activates Lightsaber Combat, and can add/subtract up to 2D to his attack and parry rolls while being able to add/subtract up to 2D+1 to his damage rolls. When attacking Bob rolls 9D+1 to attack/parry and 7D+1 for damage.

Last edited by hazardchris on Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a decent idea.
Here's what I would change:
Switch back control for damage and sense for attack & defense.
have the character at least have to make a roll to see if they can activate the power. Otherwise there's all bonus, and nothing limiting it. I can see getting rid of the MAP for keeping it up since it's a combat skill.

Like I posted in the other thread, I had been thinking that a character should have to split his sense dice between attack and defense. Thereby making them decide which is more important.
I do however like the half the force skill dice added to damage. I will probably incorporate that in my own use of the power.
hazardchris
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, didn't mean to switch them. That's what I get for not paying attention.

Fixing it now.

bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like your half sense, half control no roll to activate idea. i might even say 1 pip per die if its still too nasty.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been going with the halfe sense (to add to skill) and half control (for damage bonus) for years now.
Galen_Paratus
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I've done it for awhile. Much like the above posts, this requires no roll and is always up incurring no penalty to other rolls. It adds a nice effect of diminishing returns to "assist" jedi players in spending points elsewhere.

Lightsaber Combat: Lightsaber combat no longer needs to be “kept up,” and as such no longer incurs Multiple Action Penalties. It is a learned power that gives a bonus to lightsaber damage and skill equal to one-half the force skill (rounded down) +0D for skill levels 1-6, +1D for 7-12, and +2D for 13+. The power is always “up” and remains “up” at no penalty until the character takes a stun result or worse. In that case, the power drops temporarily for the remainder of the current round (can't deflect blaster bolts) and the next round before automatically reactivating. The Jedi may attempt to bring the power back up sooner by making a moderate control roll + the damage of the last attack, incurring MAP’s as normal.

The chart will look like this: pardon the formatting. I dont know how to put spaces between the columns

Skill Bonus Total
1D +0D 0D
2D +0D 1D
3D +0D 1D
4D +0D 2D
5D +0D 2D
6D +0D 3D
7D +1D 4D
8D +1D 5D
9D +1D 5D
10D +1D 6D
11D +1D 6D
12D +1D 7D
13D +2D 8D
14D +2D 9D
15D +2D 9D
And so on...

Last edited by Galen_Paratus on Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than half sense and half control, we average the sense and control rolls to get a dice pool. The character decides how many of the dice in the pool to add to their LS combat skill for attack/defense and how many dice to add (or subtract) from their damage. This gives a similar result, but does allow the Jedi to increase their skill at the expense of increasing damage or vice versa.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is how I've done it for awhile. Much like the above posts, this requires no roll and is always up incurring no penalty to other rolls. It adds a nice effect of diminishing returns to "assist" jedi players in spending points elsewhere.

Doesn't that tend to make it a power UP rather than a power down for LS combat?
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been leaning towards eliminating the damage bonus entirely, and just letting Jedi augment thier damage via the called shot rules from the SpecForces book. It works out to the same thing as assigning dice.

But I have been thinking of it with the SFR (Simplified Force Rules) and using the lower of Control or Sense.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
I've been leaning towards eliminating the damage bonus entirely, and just letting Jedi augment thier damage via the called shot rules from the SpecForces book. It works out to the same thing as assigning dice.

But I have been thinking of it with the SFR (Simplified Force Rules) and using the lower of Control or Sense.

If you end up doing that, I would suggest that you halve scale bonuses also. As a way to reflect the Lightsaber's ability to cut through just about anything.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:

In another thread I was talking about the (imo) weak basic lightsaber damage. Im thinking of raising it to a basic damage of 6D, but instead adding 1/3 of the Control die to damage (or +1pip of damage per full Control die).
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
atgxtg wrote:

If you end up doing that, I would suggest that you halve scale bonuses also. As a way to reflect the Lightsaber's ability to cut through just about anything.

I don't think it is needed. With the Specforce option of assigning dkill dice to damage, vehicles are not a problem. Hitting is easy, so there are a lot of dice available for boosting damage, in part because of the scaling.
Galen_Paratus
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Quote:

Doesn't that tend to make it a power UP rather than a power down for LS combat?

No, if you read the rest of the post then you would see that the jedi in question is only receiving a little over half the bonus from their sense/control, reducing their massive dice pools without gimping them entirely, and bringing them more in line with non-jedi PC's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: