The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Swearing and Star Wars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Swearing and Star Wars Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject: Swearing and Star Wars Reply with quote

I swear.
I swear a lot.
I make sailors and truckers blush with my language.
Anyone who knows me outside this board can attest to that.
But when I’m running a Star Wars game I get really annoyed when one of my players drop and F-bomb or S-bomb. To me, that’s not Star Wars. In my game I allow a few on offence words and phrases. Those being hell and damn, but only because they where present in the film (ironically both by Han). In every other case I reprimand the player unless they are using a suitable Star Wars term. Stuff like…
Blast
Drek
Jack-hole
These seem to be non-offensive and Star Wars-ish to me so I allow them.

I tend to be of the mind that if its ok to do in the movies then it’s ok in the game, and since there has been no real cursing in the films then swearing is strictly verboten. To me it preserves the integrity of the genera. So my question to the rest of you out there is…

Do you allow it and if you do why?
If it’s a no-no then what do you do instead?
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any swearing is strictly forbidden and you get a complete lack of screen time (IE the GM simply addresses only the other players for a while) for instace when our pilot character swore we got amazing descriptions of how the other two characters were dealing with the ships tight manuvering and dodging through the asteroid field but the pilot character was all but ignored (shunned if you will) If we were in the movie it would be all shots of the ship and crew and none of the pilot.

The only exception is Oovavoo who has a speach impediment and pronounces all sibilent sounds as a double f sound (when speaking basic)

It came as quite a surprise to everyone (including me) when I first said "Suck space pirate scumm" in character

We use phrases like Nerf herder and call people scruffy looking and the like in place of swear words
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in that case I would let it slide (the guy with the speech trouble), but I think you guys handled it well.
There should be consequences if a player does not behave in accordance to the given rules of behaviour. To me swearing in a Star Wars game is like asking for a tactical nuke in D&D. it does not belong in that genera or universe.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always liked the curse Feldercarb! from that "other" sci-fi show. Your approved curse list sounds like a reasonable idea, also.

I start my games with a director's scene set up such as "When last we left our Rebel heroes..." I often end at a particularly dangerous spot with "Tune in next week for the continuing adventures of Team Aurek! Will they be able to escape..." I usually can't finish because of the cries of Nooooo! These cliff hangers cut the drama off at it's height, but it sure brings 'em back next week with "I've been waiting all week..."

How about this: The next time one of your players swears in a non-Star Wars way, yell "Cut!" End the scene, deduct one chararcter point, explain why, then resume with "Lights, Camera, Action!" It's corney, but my players really like it.

It is also a good reminder that they're supposed to be playing a role.
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will work.
But I have no idea of what “feldercrab” is or where it’s from. Embarassed
Perhaps I will allow some swears from Farscape, they do seem to have a lot of terms that would gel with Wars.

The thing I usually do when a player swears is tell him…”this is Star Wars, not Cyberpunk doofus” then I would proceed to tell them (usually with me swearing at them) that it’s fine if it’s out of character, but it’s taboo in character.
And when its time to dole out the experience I let them know why they have been docked a few points. I usually still keep the scene going though, just because when it’s at a dramatic moment (which is usually when they slip) its hard to get that intensity back.
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my character feels the need to swear, I just make him say it in his own language. Since I'm making up the language as I go along, no-one but me really knows what he's saying, but you can get the drift of what he's saying.

Besides apparently R2 swears alot, but we can't understand him and 3PO won't translate it.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Swearing and Star Wars Reply with quote

Son of Fire wrote:
I swear.
I swear a lot.
I make sailors and truckers blush with my language.
Anyone who knows me outside this board can attest to that.
But when I’m running a Star Wars game I get really annoyed when one of my players drop and F-bomb or S-bomb. To me, that’s not Star Wars. In my game I allow a few on offence words and phrases. Those being hell and damn, but only because they where present in the film (ironically both by Han). In every other case I reprimand the player unless they are using a suitable Star Wars term. Stuff like…
Blast
Drek
Jack-hole
These seem to be non-offensive and Star Wars-ish to me so I allow them.

I tend to be of the mind that if its ok to do in the movies then it’s ok in the game, and since there has been no real cursing in the films then swearing is strictly verboten. To me it preserves the integrity of the genera. So my question to the rest of you out there is…

Do you allow it and if you do why?
If it’s a no-no then what do you do instead?

As a GM it would depend on the character my player is playing, a criminal, a mercenary, a smuggler...OK, a Jedi, an embassador, a noble(even if evil) NO.

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it ruins the feel and mood of the game. I can’t get in the Star Wars mood if some is dropping F-bombs. In a different game it would be suitable (like Cyberpunk or Kult) but not Star Wars.

It’s kind of like what happened in our D&D game a while back.
My buddy was running it and we all where in this uber-creepy monastery in “The Frontier” where some serious crap when down. My buddy did such a great job setting the tone and feel of the place that we were all creeped-out and a little cold to boot! Then one of our players stated cracking jokes…and ruined the entire mood. All of us where ticked that our “emersion” in the story was lost we let him know in none to kind words to shut it or don’t play.

Swearing in Star Wars is kind of like that; it ruins the feel of it. If I wanted to play something grittier I would be playing Battle Lords or Space Master.
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also use the "Star Wars" version of cussing:
"that slimy piece of worm-ridden filth" Very Happy

I agree that swearing in-character totally ruins the Star Wars "feel" of the game, just because it wasn't present in the movies.

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Farscape "frell". we all know what it means and it still keeps the mood.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, compared to most groups, mine is full of Potty Mouthes!!!

Let's see... Almost everyone in my group can curse in both official languages of Canada (English and French, I'm a little lacking in the French myself), and one member of my group has had to work on Oil Refineries in Montreal and the Praries... And boy, some of the cursing he can pick up out there!!!

But, honestly, you have *NOT* heard cursing until you hear a Newfoundlander Fisherman start into it!!! Three or four minutes without repeating themselves, and not even half trying! Laughing

We also use the "Alternative" curses from Sci-Fi ("Bowb" anyone?), and I can always pull out my Wookiee cursing. Very nasty... Yet I've never played a Wookiee... Oh well.
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean to tell me you can actually understand a newfie? Laughing Wink
And what’s “Bowb” ?
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Bowb" is from Harry Harrison, and is the favorite word of his infamous "Bill The Galactic Hero"!!!

"The Stainless Steel Rat", Slipper Jim DeGritz has also been known to say it a time or two, but not often.

Oh, and "It's always Bowb your buddy day..."
Urhart the Fallen Angel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just make up words, and we pretend they mean anything at all. Also you can just say funny things that would offensive.

"Flub you and flub your crenti! I'll make you eat Gammorean stengus, you stan-gobbing son of a floider!!!"
Love is still the answer take my hand
The vision fades a voice I hear
Listen to the madman!'
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it sure seems effective... so I say go with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: