The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Swearing and Star Wars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Swearing and Star Wars Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm personally against some of the more flagrant uses of curse words in any roleplaying game, but an occasional slip is tolerated from time to time, as long as it fits in with the films. I also like seeing my players try to keep with the setting by using the made up curses as mentioned previously by others.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamfke wrote:
I'm personally against some of the more flagrant uses of curse words in any roleplaying game, but an occasional slip is tolerated from time to time, as long as it fits in with the films. I also like seeing my players try to keep with the setting by using the made up curses as mentioned previously by others.

Thank you! It's all about maintaining continuity with the films- even if it's just the feel and not the events. Feel free to add in stuff from other games, if you've got it. "That fraggin' piece of drek!" was my favorite line from Shadowrun, and I've used quite successfully in many other games. Just don't swear in modern vernacular. It detracts from the spirit of the game.
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a long list of swear words I copied from various star wars books and websites with star wars lore in them. They are all official star wars swears, though most are from EU books. I don't have the list here but I'll post it when I get home.

My favorite SW swear is "Farkle", as in "We're Farkled!"
Tahlorn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't care for swearing in general. But to get after someone for swearing in an incorrect style, well, seems a bit obsessive over the whole topic of Star Wars stuff.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight, someone in my game said f***.
I enforced the rule that thw word did not exist. So when asked what word does exist, the players all pitched in and offered about 20 alternatives.

We settled on two. Frapple, and frap.
to finance my 'vette!
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My favorite SW swear is "Farkle", as in "We're Farkled!"

And here, I'd learned a dice game called "Farkle"...
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! I love that game!
Tahlorn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THe peaceful answer:

If your group wants to avoid it, and enjoys coming up with thier own list of appropriate swear words (like Boomer and his posse), then go ahead. But to insist that those words don't exist otherwise just draws away from the game.

The Mini-Rant:

Enjoy!

How does one know that the major swear words we have don't exist in the SW universe? They speak freaking ENGLISH, so why are swear words the only ones that are different? Hell, in Episode 2 (I know, I know...) they called a cup of coffee A CUP OF JOE! If slang for coffee is the same, why not the colorful ways to swear at someone?
This just seems like an overly-obsessive way of nitpicking on a trivial subject.

Character: "I feel like s***."
GM: :"Uh uh uh uh uh! *snort* You feel like girtuhylus, not s***! Get it right! Come on, try to keep the illusion SOMEWHAT real!"

It seems to me that having to keep specific words, even swear words, "accurate" for the game is pointless. It goes beyond swear words, and I have seen it.

Player: "I want to get a limo for the party."
GM: What's a limo?"
Player: "Oh, sorry, I want an expensive and fancy rentable repulsor-skiff which comes with a driver....does it have to be a droid?... with champagne in the back.... oh wait, not champagne, um, a sparkling celebratory alcoholic fluid..."
GM: "Gersnakl."
Player: "Yes, Gersnakl. Wait, no, that tastes like s***... woops, I mean taste like bantha @$$. No, Banta Budastar."

We say what we mean, and just because the exact copy of what we know on Earth might not be the same, you (as the GM and as the player) know what we mean in context! Hell, what we have here isn't as stupid as some of the things in the StarWars universe. A chance cube? Why can't I just flip a freakin' coin!? If the group knows what they mean, then it actually hurts the "illusion" more for the GM to run in the middle of an outer-space ship battle holding a red card and blowing a whistle, because one of the players screamed "die you imperial b@st@rd*!" at the TIE fighter rather than "Die you imperial Yodlerist", or, if there is no specific word for it, "Die you imperial person... sorry, being... which was concieved and/or born out of wedlock!"

~Tahlorn
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talhron: "You went one mile, why not go to the edge of the universe?"

Boomer: "Because the party was only a mile away..."

There is such a thing as going too far. But that doesn't mean you never leave your house.

But as a more direct response to Talhorns post, rather than just running my mouth and conjuring up comedic mental images...

We go with the flavor that fits the campaign setting. Some of us don't want certain words, such as anything that conjures up a horrible mental image or emotion or memory. The word f*** has a lot of those attached to it for most people.

Plus it just wasn't in the movie... Laughing
to finance my 'vette!
Tahlorn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen a lot of where the idea of only going a mile doesn't apply. That was mainly my point. Sounds good if it goes with the flavor of your campaign, as you put it.

Quote:
Plus it just wasn't in the movie...

*falls over laughing*

~T
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, can anyone give me an example of swearing from the movies?
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly Han spouting off to the baddies. "I'll see you in HELL!", and "Damn fool, I knew you were going to say that."

Obi Wan, "He feared you might follow old Obi-Wan on some damn-fool idealistic crusade like your father did."

There may be more, but these are the first to come to mind.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the movies in 1977 and the VHS release a short while later, the very first one not the later ones, as soon as they came out into the asteroid field of Alderaan's debris, Han exclaimed "s***!"

So there ya go.
to finance my 'vette!
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamfke wrote:
Mostly Han spouting off to the baddies. "I'll see you in HELL!", and "d*mn fool, I knew you were going to say that."

Actually one of the Hoth base Tech says to Han "Your Tauntaun will freeze before you reach the first marker." And Han yells back, "Well I guess I'll see you in Hell."

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite from EPI: "Pudu!" 8)

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: