The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Swearing and Star Wars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Swearing and Star Wars Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a list of officially published swears used in various star wars books, novels, games, tv shows and movies:

Swear Words
Bastasi
This was an Ansionian swear word, used to indicated an individual's loss of patience.

Bishwag
This was a swear word, used by many humans during the last decades of the Old Republic to indicate an untrustworthy being.

Bloah
This was a swear word used on the planet Tatooine during the last decades of the Old Republic.

Chubba
This was a swear word used by the Squib race. Also the name of a diminutive frog-like creature common throughout the galaxy.

Droyk
This is a Corellian swear word.

Emwhulb
A Socorran swear word, meant to indicate a being of low standards and no loyalty.

Farkled
This swear word was used to describe any situation which was bleak or disastrous, as in: "We're farkled."

Fedding
This was a swear word used throughout the Tapani Sector of the galaxy.

Ferglutz
This was a Quarren swear word.

Filswik
This was a swear word used by Alliance pilots.

Flack
A swear word used by many Imperial troops.

Flarg
A swear word which often referred to excrement.

Flott
This was an alien swear word.

Flupp
This was a Dug swear word.

Frack
A swear word

Frag
A swear word

Freg
This was a swear word.

Frink
A Corellia swear word.

Frip
A swear word.

Fripping
This was a swear word used as an adjective by the natives of the planet Indu San.

Gartal
This was an Alderaanian swear word.

Gfersh
This is a Rodian swear word.

Grist
This was a swear word used by the inhabitants of the planet Lok.

Grotty
This was an Ansionian swear word, used as an adjective to describe another individual.

Jactna
This was a Rodian swear word.

Krazsch
This was a swear word used by the Riileb people.

Kriff
This is an Imperial swear word.

Krozit
This was a Nikto swear word.

Ktah
This was a Chiss swear word. Because the Chiss rarely showed any sort of emotion, the use of such words was reserved for intense or unusual situations.

Kwaag
This was a Tulgah swear word.

Moojpuck
This was an Ansionian swear word, often used by the Gwurran.

Mopak
This Ansionian swear word was used to indicate excrement.

Munk
This was a Stassian swear word, indicating a form of excrement.

Murglak
This was a swear word used by many disreputable groups, during the last decades of the Old Republic.

Pustina
This is a Drach'nam swear word.

Schutta
This was a Twi'leki swear word, used to indicate a being of poor repute. It was derived from the name of a weasel-like creature native to Ryloth.

Shas'mink
This is a Laerdocian swear-word.

Shavit
This is a swear word used by the farmers of Pakrik Minor.

Skrag
A Corellian swear word.

Snark
This was a swear word used by the human inhabitants of the planet Ord Mantell.

Snivgold
This was an Ansionian swear word, used to describe another individual in a rude way.

Squark
This was a Dug swear word.

Stang
An Alderaanian swear word.

Verre
This is a Kerestian swear word.

Vos
An Alderaanian swear word.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread Necromancy!!!

While what I have to add is not specifically a list of swear words, I thought after my game the other night that collecting a list of Star Wars Slang might be in order.

Wookieepedia gives a decent list to start:
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_phrases_and_slang

And of course I notice that the legends bar has an even larger list:
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_phrases_and_slang/Legends

Anyone made a comprehensive document with slang/curse words?
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My group is full of swearing, but that's really my fault for setting the precedent as GM. In the first campaign we ran, I provided them with a NPC protocol droid called GR-1P3 who was based on Richard E.Grant's character in Withnail & I. The players really miss him, so it couldn't have been all bad!

In general terms, I'm terrible for swearing in all of my games, particularly those when I'm a player - but I tend to use it for comedic effect.

I completely understand why others would have a problem with this, though, especially in Star Wars. It isn't for everyone. It certainly has no place in a group with children playing.

One caveat: doesn't Finn call someone a b*stard in the sequel trilogy?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right. I know that in The Mandalorian someone uses that expletive to describe the main character.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fictional in-universe profanity, whether in Basic or another language, is allowed in my game and encouraged. This thread has a lot of great ideas.

I don't remember b@st@rd* in TRoS, but Solo and TRoS both say @$$. I prefer to keep game time a generally PG endeavor without much in- or out-of-universe use of real world profanity. Occasional uses of the words said in the films are ok if it doesn't get overboard.

Did you know that in response to viewer outrage of TPM, the MPAA put a rule in place that all films can only say the "M-word" once per film?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Fictional in-universe profanity, whether in Basic or another language, is allowed in my game and encouraged. This thread has a lot of great ideas.

I don't remember b@st@rd in TRoS, but Solo and TRoS both say @$$. I prefer to keep game time a generally PG endeavor without much in- or out-of-universe use of real world profanity. Occasional uses of the words said in the films are ok if it doesn't get overboard.

Did you know that in response to viewer outrage of TPM, the MPAA put a rule in place that all films can only say the "M-word" once per film?

Maybe I'm thinking of a different 'M' word. What word are you referring to?

The one that pops up in my head is often associated with Samuel L. Jackson...and I could imagine Mace Windu saying it...but I don't recall him saying it.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
Whill wrote:

I don't remember b@st@rd in TRoS, but Solo and TRoS both say @$$. I prefer to keep game time a generally PG endeavor without much in- or out-of-universe use of real world profanity. Occasional uses of the words said in the films are ok if it doesn't get overboard.

The one that pops up in my head is often associated with Samuel L. Jackson...and I could imagine Mace Windu saying it...but I don't recall him saying it.

I'm pretty sure he's referring to Meesa.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Dredwulf60 wrote:
Whill wrote:

I'm pretty sure he's referring to Meesa.

Ha ha. Midi-chlorians! I guess the prequel-haters aren't here to read this joke or they are too enraged to reply. I mean, TPM was 21 years ago. It is true that "midi-chlorians" was only used once in RotS.

As for Mace Windu using another "m-word," there was a deleted opening scene from TCW theatrical film where Samual L. Jackson would have said part of it. I have transcribed the scene into script form here...
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes! How could I have forgotten about mitochondria? Embarassed

I love it. I tell my player that I fished out and put together a document of Star Wars slang, even after I tell him it's 28 pages long, he asks me to e-mail him a copy so he can cuss properly. LoL I love it!

He's playing a foul mouthed grease monkey.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes, when I make a character, I come up with a few slang terms that the character favors and I try to use them in play.

Here is a list of historical terms I've come up with:

Bolt: (verb; referring to a lightning bolt or blaster bolt) to move unusually fast; to move as fast as possible.

Break: (verb; see also vape and unmake) to defeat by a compelling margin.

Charlee: (noun) a person who pretends to be someone or something he is not.

Duber: (noun) a person who frequently lies or makes dubious claims or statements.

Fling: (verb) to throw or otherwise project an object very fast or far (usually with the appearance of effortlessness).

Lose: (verb) to fight (and presumably lose) against the speaker. "If you're ready to lose, draw your weapon."

Scuff (or Scuff Up): (verb) to instill humility in another, typically by way of defeating him in a (non-deadly) fight. "You better watch what you say or I'll have to scuff you up."

Skuzz :(noun) scum; residue; slime; unknown, indecorous or hazardous--usually biological--substance [mucus, infected blood, bile, etc.]

Slick: (adjective) [var: Sleek] a lean, muscular physique on a small frame. Usually used to describe athletic female humans or athletic males who are very fit, but not bulky.

Specimen: (noun) describes a member of the opposite sex who is extremely attractive. Often modified by a preceding adjective such as "fine," "exquisite," or "tasty."

Squit: (verb) to surrender; to forfeit (a competition); to lose (a competition) due to a lack of genuine effort. "Don't squit on me; you can do better than that."

Trog: (noun) a being belonging to an intelligent species whose behavior or speech indicates a lack of reasoning. "Don't be such a trog; this one goes here, that one goes there."

Tower: (noun) a male of exceptionally large stature, especially one who is unusually muscular. Used as a pejorative to describe overweight females or females with typically masculine behaviors (rarely, a female who is unusually muscular, such as one who uses chem-roids to achieve an unnaturally large physique).

Twank: (noun) a pejorative used by females (usually humans) to refer to other females considered unworthy of respect. Sometimes used by females as an extremely disrespectful term for males considered to be weak (either of mind or body). "Ugh, that twank is nasty--she get's around."

Unmake: (verb; variant of "break") to defeat by a margin so great as to suggest that the opponent's most significant accomplishments would be forgotten; to render (an opponent by way of defeating him) completely irrelevant historically.

Vape (Vaporize): (verb; variant of "break") to defeat by margin so great as to suggest that the opponent never had a chance of victory.

Last edited by Naaman on Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:45 pm; edited 5 times in total
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good advice, thanks Naaman.
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bolt is a term we use in Glasgow slang quite regularly but it means to tell someone to get lost.

When the runner Usain Bolt is mentioned in Glasgow, it can be easily confused as a counter challenge to someone making a cheeky or abusive comment - (What are) "You sayin'? Bolt!"
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am used to swaring in star wars, thoughmore in the "star wars way" with invented words and what sounds tobe in universe "accpted" swears.

you....sweaty rancorbut, or maybe someone is a lame nerf...and the like.

I have seens a few "colorful" words in comics
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a player whose every other word at the table rhymed with 'Buck' and finally had enough and gave him (and the rest of the players...) a list of alternatives and told them to pick some and use those. 'Frak' was the substitute of choice...that and 'Twunt', which is a combination of two words...

Keith...Good to be back.
Chaosmeister
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timely resurrection. I caught myself having a stormtrooper say "F&$%, a Jedi!" and hated me for it, so this comes in handy. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: