The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

original "Introduce Yourself" thread
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> original "Introduce Yourself" thread Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 62, 63, 64  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
obidancer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Actually the violence in Lausanne is starting to grow quite badly from what I read in the newspaper. I've only been here for a short year now, but it's indeed a beautifull place. I've live in Albuquerque, New Mexico as well. Hey, Volar how far is that from your place? I can confirm though that it could also be called Tatooine's wasteland without much lie.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You live in Albuquerque!? Praise God!

Private message me, man! I work in Albuquerque! We have a game planned for tommorow! Very Happy

I never imagined this Tatooine like wasteland would have another Star Wars RPG'er. Ha! We are NOT on the planet furthest from the bright center of the universe. (Actually, I think the fella at Kwajalein Atoll is.)
obidancer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas no, I've liveD there. sorry neeed to work on my typing skills next time. I've lived there for a year about 9 years ago (geez time goes quick!!), now I'm in switzerland. But my home in south of France, in the provence.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well. Back to nowhere status.
LoneStar
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you didn't check back on the Gaming Group thread. I'm actually from Geneva, but I study in Boston right now. I'll be back for the summer though and will be ready to play some SW with my usuall group.

LoneStar (aah la Suisse)
obidancer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well don't hesitate to throw me an e-mail when you get back, LoneStar. Happy to see that there is some SWRPG fAn out here in Switzerland.
LoneStar
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are probably more SW players in Switzerland than in America ^__^ I have such a difficult time finding players in Boston. Everybody 's playing D&D, which is probably the least played rpg in Switzerland.

LoneStar (go figure)
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which one? D&D, AD&D 1st edition, AD&D 2nd edition, or AD&D 3rd edition?

The first one was fun back in the 70s (mid), the second is the "true" AD&D, and all others after that point were TSRs/WotCs attempts to make more money.

WotC... The evil empire!

But, you folks already know that.
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all honesty, I really like the WOTC versions of D&D, and I have played the AD&D 2nd edition…but only with the Skills & Powers, Combat & Tactics, and Spells & Magic supplements. It seem that it was a bit too limiting and awkward to play without them. But I really think WOTC did a great job with D&D…its just this idea that SW should be in D20 that makes me cringe.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
LoneStar
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's just an American thing. I don't want to speak for everyone but almost all the roleplayers I've been in contact in the States have played one of the versions of D&D while in Switzerland (and maybe Europe), almost none have. I guess here, we don't consider this game bad, but old. It's just way too basic compared to all the new stuff that's coming out. What I mean is that we find more exciting to roleplay in a world that has more originality (from the start, without counting supplements) such as Guild, than playing with D&D.

But I really find interesting how almost everyone in the States play D&D. There are so many games out there, so why D&D ? If you just count the most popular ones such as Vampire, Guild, Cyberpunk, Gurps, Agone, Cthuluh, Ars Magica, Conspiracy X, Legend of the 5 Rings, In Nomine, Nephilim, Paranoia, Toon, and so many more, why contrive yourselves to D&D ?

LoneStar (beyond comprehension)
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peer Pressure?

Honestly, the US folks seem to flock to the Most Popular, and thus Newest, thing!

Probably a lack of History (Like Europe) or Tradition (Like Canada), and thus a wish to "Live In The Now" idea.

It's the American way. Always go for the "Newest Thing", not the best. You'd be surprised at the number of New Yorkers that I was able to con into the new types of Cable Boxes just by saying they were "New".

Despite the fact that they've already gotten a bad rep. And 1 in 10 don't work and need to be replaced...
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's like this...

D&D is an original. Maybe not the best ever, but longevity counts for a lot. Yes, even in America where the "flavor of the month" only lasts a week.

Now true, Chainmail was the first wargame/role playing game, but it was created by the same founder of TSR, E. Gary Gygax. His partner, David Arneson was the one who added magic in the early 70s.

Believe me, RPGs have come a long way since 1973. The original D&D is too limited, AD&D has too many conventions, and all subsequent spin-offs may be more open, but they are also far more complex, costly (for the modules and such), and lack the originality of Gygax and Arneson's early collaborations (Arneson is, I feel, far too often left out as one of the true founders of the RPG. Gygax didn't do it alone you know...).

I played the original starting back in 1977. I was a TSRphile for years, but when I started playing the D6 systems of Shadowrun and WEGs Star Wars, I knew that my days with D&D would be numbered.

I own almost every single Werewolf supplement from White Wolf, and I have at least the main rulebook of every single game system from that company (Vampire, Wraith, Mage, Demon, Changeling, Mummy, Hunter, Exalted, etc., etc.). To me it is far more realistic than WotC could ever be.

But, nothing compares to the speed, playability, and ease of understanding of WEGs Star Wars. No matter how long I'm gone, I'll always come back. Villains and Vigilantes, Hero, Recon, BootHill, Cyberpunk, TMNT and other strangeness, ICE... all are but shadows to the superb WEG system.

Then again, I'm probably a lot older than most on this forum, so experience usually does come from the elderly...
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoneStar wrote:
I don't want to speak for everyone but almost all the roleplayers I've been in contact in the States have played one of the versions of D&D while in Switzerland (and maybe Europe), almost none have.

Ask you're Eurofriends how many of them have played 'Die Rote Auge'. Almost everyone in Germany I spoke to plays that instead of D&D. But it's just a D&D knock off.

For the record, I routinely play D&D 1st & 2nd ed., Ars Magica, Traveller, Empire of the Petal Throne, and Star Wars - West End Games version only, of course. And that's just the RPGs - add to it Star Wars Miniatures Battles and some 20 board games and this American has plenty of variety.
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son of Fire wrote:
In all honesty, I really like the WOTC versions of D&D, and I have played the AD&D 2nd edition…but only with the Skills & Powers, Combat & Tactics, and Spells & Magic supplements. It seem that it was a bit too limiting and awkward to play without them. But I really think WOTC did a great job with D&D…its just this idea that SW should be in D20 that makes me cringe.

The only problem I have with 3rd edition is the challenge rating is way too complex. 8)

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me introduce myself as well here, since I've just found this wonderful forum!

Gry Sarth's the name, playing WEG-SW-RPG for almost 10 years now. Since the Tyrannical Takeover of 99, I've been visiting the JediCouncil RPG forum once a month, in hopes that I could find some shred of true SW-RPG discussion (and if it ain't WEG, it ain't true), to no avail...

But now it seems this is the kind of place I've been looking for, so I'm looking forward to many enriching discussions with you guys!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 62, 63, 64  Next
Page 2 of 64

Jump to: