The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force Jump..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Force Jump.. Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Force Jump.. Reply with quote

AFAIK theres no official rules for jumping with the help of the force. Increase attribute or concentration doesnt really cut it if you look at the jumps (even if you limit yourself to Lukes jump out of the carbonite freezer).

So, the 'Force Powers' netbook has a fan-made force jump (see below). Its a bit complicated though as the activation roll increases the Jump skill, which then is used in a specific way for this power. I found another version at rpggamer.org (also see below) that only uses Alter and leaves Jump out of it.

So, which version would you use, keeping playability in mind? The actual numbers (distance jumped) are not important, they can be changed to fit your own wishes. Focus on the rules mechanics.

From Force Powers Netbook.
Force Jump
Control Difficulty: Easy
Control Roll > Jumping
Difficulty by: Increase
1-3 +1D
4-8 +2D
9-15 +3D
16-25 +4D
26-37 +5D
38+ +6D
Alter Difficulty: Easy
Required Powers: Enhance attribute,
telekinesis
Effect: A Jedi uses this power to increase his
jumping ability in order to perform impossibly
high leaps. If both Force skill rolls are successful,
the character uses his normal climbing/jumping
skill to perform the jump, but he uses the special
table below to determine difficulties. If the
control roll exceeds the difficulty, the character
gains an immediate bonus to his climbing/
jumping roll. If the Jedi fails any Force skill roll,
the power is not activated and the character is
left to use his normal jumping ability (and there
are certain situations where you can’t back
out of a jump because your power failed). At
the gamemaster’s discretion, a failed climbing/
jumping roll might mean the Jedi fails to achieve
the desired height or distance, fails to properly
cushion his landing and suffers normal falling
damage, or both. Multiple action penalties apply.
The climbing/jumping roll is a third action in that
round, whether the power is successful or not.
Height Jumped Jumping Difficulty
0 - 1 meter Very Easy
1 - 2 meters Easy
3 - 4 meters Moderate
5 - 8 meters Difficult
9 - 15 meters Very Difficult
16 - 20 meters Heroic
Add +5 to the difficulty for every additional
5 meters. If the character is simply jumping
downwards, with no upwards movement,
reduce jumping difficulty by one level. Add +1
to the difficulty per meter of horizontal distance
jumped.

From RPGGamer.org
Force Leap

Control Difficulty: Moderate.
Alter Difficulty:
Very Easy for a leap of 5 or less meters;
Easy for a leap of 6-12 meters;
Moderate for 13-20 meters;
Difficult for 21-35 meters;
Very Difficult for 36-50 meters;
Heroic for more than 50 meters.
Required Powers: Concentration, Telekinesis.
Effect: Allows a Jedi to jump much further or higher than she would
normally be able to jump. If she spends a round preparing for the leap,
either by contracting her legs into a deep crouch, and making a running
start, she is allowed a +5 bonus to her roll, which may be split into
either the Control or Alter rolls.
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Jedi rolls jump for both versions of Force Jump? Considering maps...
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random Numbers wrote:
So the Jedi rolls jump for both versions of Force Jump? Considering maps...

No, the first power uses Jump as an action. In the second no separate Jump action is used, its included in the power.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the first roll is to see if you get the power activated and working, and the second is to see exactly how high you jump? If so, that sounds reasonable. Kind of like shooting then rolling damage.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
So the first roll is to see if you get the power activated and working, and the second is to see exactly how high you jump? If so, that sounds reasonable. Kind of like shooting then rolling damage.

What I dont like is that first your roll to activate the power, and get a bonus to the jump skill. Then you roll the jump skill (with a special target number) with the bonus to see wether you make the jump or not. IMO that are one roll to many.

When doing a force jump I assume not much jumping is involved if you can jump around 10 meters or more, instead its a specialized form of Telekinesis. If actual jumping would be involved, it would be some kind of Increase Attribute making your leg muscles really strong.

That is why I think the second power, Force Leap, is better. Also, less dice rolling, less checking up tables.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When creating the Force Jump power, this is one thing we considered a lot. I just really felt that someone who was an amazing natural jumper should have some advantage in performing a Force Jump than some immobile fat slob.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
When creating the Force Jump power, this is one thing we considered a lot. I just really felt that someone who was an amazing natural jumper should have some advantage in performing a Force Jump than some immobile fat slob.

Well, you have to land as well... Laughing

A fat slob is likely to just bounce like a ball and then roll like a bowling ball.. Laughing
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we were doing the power we had a number of factors that we included. This really was one of the hardest powers to do. We had suggestions coming at all ends. On one end we had mechanics in there about not only making the jump but landing the jump. Not to mention separate mechanics for height and length. At another end we had a single roll to make the whole thing. We had some who wanted fast and other who wanted something realistic (if you can call anything Force-oriented realistic). Yes, there are things that could be emphasized over others, and yes you COULD introduce more mechanics or strip away other mechanics, but I encourage you to play test it in the context of an adventure. See what it can do. D6 is about cinematic and simple rules. We've tried to strike an even balance with that Force power. If you want to home brew something for your own game, then feel free... there's plenty of room for it. This was just the consensus that we came to when we were all designing the fan-made powers in the Force book.
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Well, you have to land as well... Laughing

A fat slob is likely to just bounce like a ball and then roll like a bowling ball.. Laughing

I'm thinking, more like Gallagher's watermelons.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, thinking of stripping it down a bit.

Maybe just add the character's Control Dice to Jumping as with lightsaber combat?

Alter difficulty: VE, but modfierd by complexity as per TK (so a simple jump is easier than doing cartwheels in the air).
Praxian
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Force Jump is something I don't use in my campaign personally.

If a PC has TK, I make them use that to Force themselves from here to there. Difficulty being on how far it is.

In my opinion, Force Jump is just another aspect of TK, so just Alter is needed. However if you botch the roll, you've got a long fall going down. Smile
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Hmm, thinking of stripping it down a bit.

Maybe just add the character's Control Dice to Jumping as with lightsaber combat?

Alter difficulty: VE, but modfierd by complexity as per TK (so a simple jump is easier than doing cartwheels in the air).

You will have to have some kind of table or rule for distance as well, as no matter if you have 10D in C/J you wont be able to jump 10 meters. Other than that the idea is good and simple..

It give 'acrobatic' Jedis an edge over the fat slobs so to speak.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Praxian wrote:

If a PC has TK, I make them use that to Force themselves from here to there. Difficulty being on how far it is.

In my opinion, Force Jump is just another aspect of TK, so just Alter is needed. However if you botch the roll, you've got a long fall going down. Smile

Its of course a matter of what you prefer. There are several powers (fan made, converted) that are 'specializations' of the TK ability (Force Push comes to mind, and also that grenade defence power I think Chesire mentioned (converted?) in anohter thread.

Some Jedi in the past, who probably used TK to 'force jump', came up with the idea to develop (train) this particular ability until it suddenly became a separate power. More effective and more narrow than TK. You can still do the same thing with TK, but probably slower and a bit clumsier.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

You will have to have some kind of table or rule for distance as well, as no matter if you have 10D in C/J you wont be able to jump 10 meters. Other than that the idea is good and simple..

Well, you could just go with the difficulties given in the Jump skill description.

As for Jumping 10 meters, well, while you can't do that realistically, Jedi do seem to be able to do just that in the films and in Clone Wars, so I'm not sure if a limit is really needed. If it is, then I think lifting should be revisited as well.

If I were going to use a precisely defined distance, I'd probably go with something like skill total/5 meters. Half that for height, or for distance from a standing start. Or Total/3 if I wanted to run a more flamboyant campaign.
Praxian
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Praxian wrote:

Its of course a matter of what you prefer. There are several powers (fan made, converted) that are 'specializations' of the TK ability (Force Push comes to mind, and also that grenade defence power I think Chesire mentioned (converted?) in anohter thread.

Some Jedi in the past, who probably used TK to 'force jump', came up with the idea to develop (train) this particular ability until it suddenly became a separate power. More effective and more narrow than TK. You can still do the same thing with TK, but probably slower and a bit clumsier.

Personally I just have them roll Alter instead of Strength, and if they've bothered to put more than +2D into the jump skill then they land smoothly (as long as they roll well enough to make the jump).

+2D and higher they land and can do something when they land, less than +2D into jump, they land and can make actions next roll.

Made it easy to keep it simple. =D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: