The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Influence of the Dark Side...and how you fall..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> The Influence of the Dark Side...and how you fall.. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Influence of the Dark Side... Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

Of course, but I was talking hypothetically. What I meant is that a characters personality and susceptility to the dark side is not really reflected by Willpower. Anakin might be a good example. He should have a high willpower (ie in general a strong mind), but his personality made him susceptible to the influence of the dark side..

I dont say its not a rather interensting idea, just that i didnt fit what I was after.. However, I might even reconsider some day..

Ah. I've got a somewhat similar problem with one of the PCs in my group. Although he means well, he often thinks that is okay for him to bypass laws and such since he is a good guy, and he tends to act out a bit when he gets angry. The guy means well, but he has a built in feeling of righteousness that he uses to justify his actions.

I had to go so far as to give him the warning that he was about to earn ah a DSP when he got angry with a non cooperative droid he was trying to intimidate, and wanted to blast it.

Some of my other players are thinking the guy is going to end up as an Emperor's Hand.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can easily see the dark side tempting him by giving him bonus dice without him knowing it, when he is in those types of situations in the future.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I can easily see the dark side tempting him by giving him bonus dice without him knowing it, when he is in those types of situations in the future.

I know just what you mean. In fact, I got a couple of things planned for him that will test him. There is a villain who he holds a grudge for several reasons, including "stealing" his (actually he found it) lightsaber. At one point in the future he is going to have this villian at his mercy, and the Dark Side is going to try to entince him into killing the baddie off.

What doesn't help the guy is that he has played D&D for years, and tends to slip into "room/monster/treasure" mode.
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a 'victim' of Zaphod's evil doings I'm interested in the dsp bonus to lightsaber combat. Normaly (at least for our former rules) you add dsp to your control or sense. Thus raising the lightsaber combat dice by 1d for every 2 dps.

How would this work with this pool?

This said, I'm working very hard to get rid of my one dsp (contrary to my fellow jedi).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If at any time you accept the Dark sides bonuses, i cannot see you attoning for it.
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
If at any time you accept the Dark sides bonuses, i cannot see you attoning for it.

That's why I'm not using my one dsp, I'm the generic good guy jedi! But my 'fellow' jedi in the party is using his multiple dps all the time...
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

I see no conflict here. Sure, you cannot atone while using the Dark side bonus (or some time afterwards), but on the other hand your not doomed forever....
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random Numbers wrote:
As a 'victim' of Zaphod's evil doings I'm interested in the dsp bonus to lightsaber combat. Normaly (at least for our former rules) you add dsp to your control or sense. Thus raising the lightsaber combat dice by 1d for every 2 dps.

How would this work with this pool?

This said, I'm working very hard to get rid of my one dsp (contrary to my fellow jedi).

As we already now have a house rule where you only add half your sense to lightsaber combat (and the dsp bonus to that), Ill just keep it as we play it today even if one has to calculate it differently as the DSP:s does not add directly to Sense any more. Play as normal (ie half sense as bonus) and then add half DSP. This will keep things as they are today.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random Numbers wrote:
garhkal wrote:

That's why I'm not using my one dsp, I'm the generic good guy jedi! But my 'fellow' jedi in the party is using his multiple dps all the time...

And he has not converted to the dark side yet?
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Random Numbers wrote:
garhkal wrote:

And he has not converted to the dark side yet?

I'm still alive am I not? I guess it's only a matter of time and nothing short of a miracle can stop it now.
Hexx
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: atoning Reply with quote

Atonement in my games is never as simple as meditating on your actions. Heck, in my games players ge darkside points for not trying to stop evil when and where they find it.
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harsh.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. To me NOT doing something to stop evil when you could have, is almost the same as doing it yourself.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an optional rule in the TotJ Companion. Slow Progression Into Darkness. What it is is personailty traits a character can gain each time they gain a DSP. Roll 4D to determine the trait gianed.

Quote:
4 - Arrogant
5 - Compulsive
6 - Contempt for non-Jedi
7 - Deceitful
8 - Depressed
9 - Disagreeable
10 - Disenchanted with the Jedi Way
11 - Disloyal
12-13 - Egotistical
14 - Hateful
15 - Hopeless
16 - Impatient
17 - Miserly
18 - Obsessive
19 - Paranoia
20 - Phobia
21 - Power-hungry
22 - Quick to anger
23 - Selfish
24 - Suspicious

The book that a PC can have up to six of these as at that point they completely fall to the dark side. But it is the dark side's influence on their personality.

Wanted Poster
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:
There is an optional rule in the TotJ Companion. Slow Progression Into Darkness. What it is is personailty traits a character can gain each time they gain a DSP. Roll 4D to determine the trait gianed.

Quote:
4 - Arrogant
5 - Compulsive
6 - Contempt for non-Jedi
7 - Deceitful
8 - Depressed
9 - Disagreeable
10 - Disenchanted with the Jedi Way
11 - Disloyal
12-13 - Egotistical
14 - Hateful
15 - Hopeless
16 - Impatient
17 - Miserly
18 - Obsessive
19 - Paranoia
20 - Phobia
21 - Power-hungry
22 - Quick to anger
23 - Selfish
24 - Suspicious

The book that a PC can have up to six of these as at that point they completely fall to the dark side. But it is the dark side's influence on their personality.

Ah, my SW RPG collection is lost so I forgot about that list. Apart from the sillyness of rolling 4D and add together the list is perfect to combine with my rule about the influence of the dark side. What characteristics the character has gained from this table will govern at what situations the character has to roll vs The Will of the Dark Side.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: