The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Heightened gravity, damage and liquid nitro..???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Heightened gravity, damage and liquid nitro..??? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Heightened gravity, damage and liquid nitro..??? Reply with quote

Ok. Lets say for a long time, some of your rebels have being using large armor (smasher, or the ilk) to slap the imps around. Being they are not all that stupid, it would be reasonable to see them countering the armor with inventive tactics.

So lets say you (planning out that tactic) decide the enemy is going to use Hoses with liquid nitrogen in them (from a tank).
What damage do you think the nitro would do? How about to the guy inside?
What if someone else got hit?

What if instead youo just waited till they wer somewhere where the gravity was variable (ship, or space station), and you upped it to say 4 times normal. What penalties to their stats do you think that would inflict? How high would it have to get before they would get crushed by the weight?>
haggis launcher
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think something like an ion grenade or a jawa droid gun would possibly shut down the armour leaving it dead weight or even locked in position.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

liquid nitro.... kewl. It would have a high damage as well as a burning component. The armor should protect the wearer, but the armor would freeze up- imho.

Interesting idea. Evil, but interesting..... Twisted Evil
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to go against the pack and say Liquid nitrogen probably won't be doing much damage. My reasoning is that many molten metals are much hotter than liquid nitrogen is cold, so you could probably do more damage with, say molten steel.

Many suits of power armor are designed to work in space, which is even colder than liquid nitrogen, so such suits probably won't freeze up.

But for some house rule, I'd try something like 1D per 120 degrees C (1 pip per 40 degree C).

Some examples:

Molten Copper (1083C): 9D
Molten Aluminum (659C) 5D+1
Nickle (1452C) 12D
High Carbon Steel (1353) 11D+1
Titatnium (1795C) 15D
Tungsten (3000C) 25D
Zinc (419C) 3D+1

Liquid Nitrogen (-196C) : 1D+2

However, the damage would be continual as long as the character is exposed, and I'd probably take the damage value off the armor rating each round as the armor cools and freezes, unless the armor is designed for space use, then I'd probably half the loss (since the nitrogen does conduct the heat away).
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have to agree with atgxtg here and add that as soon as the liquid nitrogen hits the atmoshpere it'd start turning into a gas. While the spray would still do damage it'd be hard to aim with the gas cloud obsuring vision.

Upping gravity now that'd work, For an increase like double I'd probably add a person's soak to the difficulty and make them have to make movement rolls or something.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For high gravity, I'd do something like:

-Multiply the falling damage by the gravity. The would include the terminal velocity (9D limit). So that works out to about 1D per 1.5m instead of 1D per 6m.

-Multiply any weight carried by the gravity. (This could be crippling if the armor was heavy to begin with, or the character is carting around a lot of gear.).Do the same to weights for lifting tests.

-Apply a big penalty to any phsical actions, like brawling, running and so on, of +1 difficulty level per G (+1 pip per 0.2G).

-require stamina tests to avoid fatigue.

If the suit has got some good servos in it that increase STR, the power armor character might be able to function, but his buddies are going to be sitting ducks.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smasher Armor isn't heavy armor. Defense on it is only +1D/+1D, and +2D to strength checks for brawling, climbing/jumping, lifting, and damage. So with the servo enhancers, increased gravity would likely be irrelevant. With liquid nitrogen, you could probably freeze the servos, but for heavy gravity, I'm pretty sure all it requires are stamina checks to beat out.

If I were a truly devious commander, I'd set up a trap with men in environmental armor with magnetic boots on some place like a space station, and then cut all life support and eliminate gravity period. Fighting in zero-g is a lot more difficult and his smasher armor is effectively nullified at long range. And if I lose a few civilians in the fray? So be it. Blame it on the PCs, say that they were resisting a lawful arrest warrant, and blasted a power box linked to life support in the section. But, then again, this is if you want to kill the characters.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
I'm going to go against the pack and say Liquid nitrogen probably won't be doing much damage. My reasoning is that many molten metals are much hotter than liquid nitrogen is cold, so you could probably do more damage with, say molten steel.

Many suits of power armor are designed to work in space, which is even colder than liquid nitrogen, so such suits probably won't freeze up.

But for some house rule, I'd try something like 1D per 120 degrees C (1 pip per 40 degree C).

Some examples:

Molten Copper (1083C): 9D
Molten Aluminum (659C) 5D+1
Nickle (1452C) 12D
High Carbon Steel (1353) 11D+1
Titatnium (1795C) 15D
Tungsten (3000C) 25D
Zinc (419C) 3D+1

However, the damage would be continual as long as the character is exposed, and I'd probably take the damage value off the armor rating each round as the armor cools and freezes, unless the armor is designed for space use, then I'd probably half the loss (since the nitrogen does conduct the heat away).

OUCH.. So what about having one of those 'pots' of molten metal you saw in Terminator 2, dump it's load over the pc (or he falls in it)..
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'd it... Although you'd have to lure them into a very specalized environment to do that. It's probably more trouble than it's worth.

A better bet would be to have some sort of sacrifical squad attempt to take them down (but really all they're doing is keeping them busy) while some sort of minature droid slips around behind them and slices into the amour, taking direct control of it.

I can imagine a fist sized repulsorlift droid... perhaps even a droid that looks like a dud grenade that can sneak up to the PCs when they're busy with the squad.

Then the other PCs have to figure out if they want to fight the remaining squad members and their amoured buddy or fall back leaving him to be captured and have to rescue him later.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, all that trouble (molten metals, tanks of nitrogen, hoses and logistic problems)..

Wouldnt it be easier to just jury-rig a few heavy blasters or laser rifles. Sure, it will probably only fire once or twice, but at 8D damage chances are that it will punch a hole even in the famous blaster proof wookie..

Other than that I would prefer snipers to all the trouble with hot/cold liquids/metals.
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:

However, the damage would be continual as long as the character is exposed

Buy this would mean that a high STR character, like everyone's favourite Bulletproof Wookie, could pretty much bathe in the stuff with impunity, and that seems quite absurd, don't you think?
You say the damage would be continous - what do you mean by that? That the damage would be inflicted every round as long as the character is exposed? But he would still get his full soak every round, so we're back to the problem above. Or would the damage be cumulative every round? That would sound better, but the caracter could still likely get a quick dip in with no adverse effects.

Not that I have any better idea Razz
- Tom Lehrer
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll post what I put up over on the Holonet.

Space Rated Self contained - 2D+1 damage per round
Self Contained non-space rated - 4D+2 damage per round
non-self contained, non-space rated - 7D damage per round
non-armored - 9D+2 damage per round

Any damage that exceeds the armor resistance roll (only armor) would get applied (due to constant contact with the human inside) against the character's resistance. So if the armor was +2D vs. Physical and was self contained by not space rated, the damage would be 4D+2 vs. the 2D armor. Say damage was 21 and armor resistance was 7. Difference is 14 so that's applied against the character's resistance roll. So then a 3D STR character would roll against 14. Say he gets 10. That's a bit of mild effect on him.

Worse, each time the liquid nitrogen exceeds the armor roll, the armor is reduced by 1D. So the more the liquid nitrogen continues to be put on the armor the more brittle and weak the armor gets and the less it protects the wearer until it finally cracks and breaks. So in the example above, that armor would only now be at a 1D vs. Physical for the next round the liquid nitro gets put on the armor.

Now as far as a gravity increase goes, it really depends on the type of armor being used. Regular body armor that only requires the wearer's normal muscles to move it will have major problems pretty quickly. Armor that was powered and relied less on the wearer's muscles would allow the person to function longer in higher Gs.

I'd allow for a measure of doubling for functioning. So a person could work in 1-2 Gs without too much of a hassle. 3-4 Gs will measurably affect a person's functions so I'd take away 1D in DEX and STR. 5-6 Gs starts really weighing on a person (yes, a pun) and reduces DEX and STR by 2D more. 7-8 Gs will reduce DEX and STR by 4D more, effectively putting out all but the most beefy and agile races. Obviously when your DEX or STR is reduced to 0, you collapse and become immobile. Make a resistance roll against the most recent deduction to see if you pass out.

Non-powered armor reduces the Gs tolerated by 1. So instead of 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, etc. it becomes 1 = regular, 2 = -1D, 3 = -2D more, 4 = -4D more.

Powered armor without STR bonus increased the Gs tolerated by 1. So it becomes 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, etc.

Powered armor WITH Strength bonus will cancel out a number of Gs equal to the STR bonus. So if the armor gives +2D to STR, it basically cancels out 2 Gs worth of increase. So a character wearing a +2D to Strength skills would consider 1-3 Gs as a 1. So it would be able to handle up to 5 Gs without any effect. (That's 1-3 for being powered armor and +2 for giving a STR bonus to skills). After that, every 3 would work against it.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon The Lion wrote:
atgxtg wrote:

However, the damage would be continual as long as the character is exposed

Buy this would mean that a high STR character, like everyone's favourite Bulletproof Wookiee, could pretty much bathe in the stuff with impunity, and that seems quite absurd, don't you think?

No more rediculoius than the self same wookiee shrugging off machine gun bursts, lightsabers, or grenades. One thing about D6 SW, for better or worse, is that theracters get to soak things with thier STR score. Often that leads to some strange effects, like the bulletproof Wookiee.

I think the problem is more with the way Star Wars D6 does STR and damage rolls than with the damage ratings. Most people (2D STR) can stab a wookiee with a knife (+1D) and not "do damage" to it most of the time.

If you want to "fix" that aspect of D6 SW, I'd suggest dropping the STR roll against lethal; attacks, and having the soak total be the target's STR dice (2D=2 points, 5D = 5 points, etc.). Character points work as normal. . That would make weapons a lot more realistic/deadly,, and IMO probably match the films better (every stromtrooper who gets blasted in the films drops, something that is unlikely with the nromal D6 rules). No more bullet proof wookiees.

Leon The Lion wrote:

You say the damage would be continuous - what do you mean by that? That the damage would be inflicted every round as long as the character is exposed? But he would still get his full soak every round, so we're back to the problem above. Or would the damage be cumulative every round? That would sound better, but the caracter could still likely get a quick dip in with no adverse effects.

What I meant was that, assuming they have enough liqiud nitrogen to keep a character in the area of effect, then the armor would protect less and less each round, as it would be getting bother colder, and brittle.

So if the armor gave +2D protection, it would be reduced by 1D+2 to +1 pip for the next turn. (or you could treat the attack as one against the armor, using just the armor's protection to soak. Eventually the armor will get cold and brittle and the PC will be on his own. Worse, since they would still be wearing the subzero armor).

For something like the BP Wookiee, you could even say the damage comes off it's STR score if you'd like. STR 0 means wook-sickle.

Leon The Lion wrote:

Not that I have any better idea Razz

I've got an idea.

Increse the damage by the quantity of material being used. There is a big differece between spilling some liquid nitrogen on someone, and having then fall through a trap door into a vat of the stuff.

I'd say use the cover table and treat the bonus dice toy get for 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 cover as extra damage dice. and treat full immersion as +8D.

Last edited by atgxtg on Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:59 am; edited 2 times in total
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

OUCH.. So what about having one of those 'pots' of molten metal you saw in Terminator 2, dump it's load over the pc (or he falls in it)..

Increase the damage as I susggedt above. USe the cover dice bonus to reflect how big an area is being covered by molten/frozen stuff.

1/4 +1D
1/2: +3D
3/4 +4D
Full Immersion: +8D

I'd also tweak my damage formula a little to +1 pip per 50C, just so Molten Steel (1538C) comes out at close to 10D+2 damage (the same rating I give a 120mm cannon in Star Wars). I opps'ed and used Nickle instead of Steel in my table. And 50 is easier math, too!

The revised table:

Molten Steel (1538C): 10D+1
Molten Copper (1083C): 7D+1
Molten Aluminum (659C) 4D+1
Nickel (1452C) 9D+2
High Carbon Steel (1353) 9D
Titanium (1795C) 12D
Tungsten (3000C) 20D
Zinc (419C) 2D+2

Liquid Nitrogen (-196C) : 1D+1

If you want slightly higher base damage for liquid nitrogen, you could adjust the table to offset the base 2D STR that normal people have, and then use 1 pip per 60C.

That would up liquid nitrogen to 3D, about the same as a hold out blaster or slugthrower, but I doubt it is that dangerous.

Of course since this is Star Wars, you could invent some new chemical that works faster than liquid nitrogen that is colder and does more damage. By the laws of physics, you shouldn't have anything colder than -273C (1D+2 or 3D+2 depending on if you are using the 2D offset), but since when did Star Wars obey the laws of physics?

So maybe you have "carbon freezing agent" that does 6D or "ion drive coolant" on hand.

Or they could have a jellied liquid nitro that sticks to the target and keeps doing damage for a few rounds, like acid.

Looking at what already exists for D6, the E-Web has a crycooler than does 7D damage in a 2 meter radius if it explodes, and the cryoban greandes do 3D+2.
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
No more rediculoius than the self same wookiee shrugging off machine gun bursts, lightsabers, or grenades. One thing about D6 SW, for better or worse, is that theracters get to soak things with thier STR score. Often that leads to some strange effects, like the bulletproof Wookiee.

I think the problem is more with the way Star Wars D6 does STR and damage rolls than with the damage ratings. Most people (2D STR) can stab a wookiee with a knife (+1D) and not "do damage" to it most of the time.

If you want to "fix" that aspect of D6 SW, I'd suggest dropping the STR roll against lethal; attacks, and having the soak total be the target's STR dice (2D=2 points, 5D = 5 points, etc.). Character points work as normal. . That would make weapons a lot more realistic/deadly,, and IMO probably match the films better (every stromtrooper who gets blasted in the films drops, something that is unlikely with the nromal D6 rules). No more bullet proof wookiees.

I can't agree with you here. I'm aware this is a somewhat (probably a lot even) stretched explenation, but it worked for me so far, so: With lethal weapons you can easily explain not doing any damage after the soak roll by the hit not being solid enough to do significant damage in the first place. This is why I'm very much in favour of some variant of the optional rule from the Specforce Handbook of increasing damage for success margin on the to-hit roll (the version I'm currently using is +1 pip to the damage dice per full 3 points above to-hit difficulty) - it fits very well with the above interpretation.

I never experienced the Bulletproof Wookie (STR 5D+) problem myself. The Wild Die is the great equalizer, and even without that, I always found that the damage and soak rolls can really go all over the place. In my current campaign, I have a 3D STR PC wearing mandalorian armor, that is +3D/4D energy/physical. He seems to me, and feels himself, to be far from bulletproof. In fact, he has been Wounded in every major engagement he got into since acquiring the armor, with completely normal, stock weapons, including a knife wielded by a 2D STR opponent, like the one from your example. So, taking into account my experience, I always find it mystifying when people bring the Bulletproof Wookie up, as, in my experience, he simply doesn't exist. At least not when the damage thrown his way is around 3D-5D, which is the damage range of most typical hand-held weapons is SW.

So I find that lethal weapons do not need any kind of fix. Certainly not the one you propose, which would, from my point of view and according to my experianece, make them ridiculously lethal. But I just guess our experiences must be radically different. So whatever works for you and your game. But I might change my mind if I ever encounter a 6D STR Wookie that managed to get his paws on some armor Razz

And here we get to your liquid nitrogen damage. While I certainly find the Booletproof Wookie to be anything but, with damage this low I'm pretty certain of the existance of the Liquid-Nitrogen-proof Wookie Razz If the character was just splashed with it - okay, it would work. But if he is wholly, or even partially (like putting in one arm to retrieve something from the bottom of the tank), submerged in it, there is no way to rationalize the lack of significant damage: "What do you mean, the hit wasn't solid enough - he was totally submerged in it, it doesn't get any more solid than this!"

Now, the modifiers you propose for partial and full submergence will work I think.

atgxtg wrote:
What I meant was that, assuming they have enough liqiud nitrogen to keep a character in the area of effect, then the armor would protect less and less each round, as it would be getting bother colder, and brittle.

So if the armor gave +2D protection, it would be reduced by 1D+2 to +1 pip for the next turn. (or you could treat the attack as one against the armor, using just the armor's protection to soak. Eventually the armor will get cold and brittle and the PC will be on his own. Worse, since they would still be wearing the subzero armor).

For something like the BP Wookiee, you could even say the damage comes off it's STR score if you'd like. STR 0 means wook-sickle.

Oh, I got the thing about the armor being damaged and lowered. What I was asking about was an unarmored character, since, logically, the same thing that happened to the armor should happen to your exposed skin, muscles and bones. Reducing the character's STR by the damage code each round could very well work. Wookie-sickle indeed Razz And I'd do the same for acids.
- Tom Lehrer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: