The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

armored suits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> armored suits. Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: armored suits. Reply with quote

I cannot remember whether it is something made up fo the spars campaign, or whether it came from an actual book or module, but one of my characters currently has 2 armored business suits (1d phys, +2 energy, 1000 credit cost), and a armored set of "casual" clothes (same stats).. i am wondering if anyone knows what their availability code is?
Praxian
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: armored suits. Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I cannot remember whether it is something made up fo the spars campaign, or whether it came from an actual book or module, but one of my characters currently has 2 armored business suits (1d phys, +2 energy, 1000 credit cost), and a armored set of "casual" clothes (same stats).. i am wondering if anyone knows what their availability code is?

I would say they're probably pretty commonly available. In this case, you're getting things like Trench Coats fitted with things like Kevlar Plates and the like inside them.

That's just an example, but that's the kinds of things you're getting with "Fitted Armored Clothing".
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: armored suits. Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Id say that such a protective value would obvious at least of the trained eye. Physical protection probably means padding and kevlar (or the SW version of kevlar) plates. When it comes to energy it depends on how one looks at 'reflective' materials and how they work. In my games I have a 'Reflec' material which only protects against lasers/blasters (and not at point blank range). Its soft and non-bulky enough to be fitted into concealable vests. Drawback is that its expensive and tends to get ruined when you are hit a few times.

Some ideas from Shadowrun http://www.ambient.ca/cpunk/shadowguns/armor.html
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds very homebrew to me.
I'm also of the mind that armored clothing like this would be pretty obvious, even to the untrained eye. I also think that armor rating is a bit generous for such 'wearable' armor that would have to be so thin. I'd be inclined to use something like the, iirc, reflec body glove as a template for that sort of thing.

Edit: I was thinking the Combat Jumpsuit (+1D/+2, 500Cr.)... which is pretty similar. It can be worn under casual clothes...

I don't see why it would have a higher Physical resistance than energy, however; it is a thin material that doesn't offer much resistance... why would it be any better (read: significantly better) at protecting from a fist, club, slice or what have you than basic clothing? The energy rating makes sense, but I really don't think the physical should be higher. It might prevent penetration somewhat, but that's not the bulk of physical damage.

In a non-mechanics sort of way, I can see this sort of armoured business clothes being frowned upon... The fashion conscious business folk would probably see it as distasteful... sort of like wearing an orange paisley suit with a purple beret or something. Not to mention the implied message wearing armour for business conveys to your clientele.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Praxian
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because it's armored clothing doesn't mean that it's obvious. Sure with the cheaper versions, yea it could be. But the more you spend the more you won't see it necessarily.

http://personalbodyarmor.com/
http://fashionistatv.com/?m=200803 (Kevlar-laced clothing)

Granted, 99% of all the armored clothing is going to be Torso only unless it happens to be in a Trench Coat where they can put the Kevlar Plates at.

And remember, Star Wars is a "Tech Level" or two above what we have now.

I would say it should depend on what it is. If it's the plates like you would find in a Suit Jacket / Trench Coat, the physical would be +1D, with energy being an appropriate +2. If it's woven into the clothes, then a +1 for physical and nothing for energy.

Just my 2 creds worth. Smile
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it would be available but expensive.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Praxian wrote:
Just because it's armored clothing doesn't mean that it's obvious. Sure with the cheaper versions, yea it could be. But the more you spend the more you won't see it necessarily.

From what I've read, people in SW are rather concerned with fashion trends, and would pick up on the subtle differences between really well disguised armour and real cloths. There's a reason why these garments aren't common in the galaxy...

Praxian wrote:
And remember, Star Wars is a "Tech Level" or two above what we have now.

Ah, but also remember that Star Wars is a tech level a couple levels below what we have now too. It's a delightful mix of analogue and the future. Star Wars is gritty, shabby, has knobs, dials and sliders... it's not all holoprojectors and extra-dimensional travel.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Gamer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: armored suits. Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

I've looked throughout the Star wars D6 books including the adventure journals and couldn't find anything you were describing.

where I did find some of that type of armor was in the Septimus book but it doesn't use availability ratings.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like basic stats for a combat jumpsuit, simply re-tailored to look different, and an increased cost.

Quote:
A/KT Tuff1 Combat Jumpsuit
Type: Combat Jumpsuit
Cost: 500 credits
Availability: 2
Game Notes: Adds +1D physical / +2 energy protection

For the custom tailoring on it I might increase availability by 1 so 3 instead of 2.
But, with availability 2 it makes it available in large cities or space ports. So, that seems pretty fair to me with regards to armored clothing.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is where i believe it was adapted for.
As to why?

I see it being used by say underworld business men who dress to look imporant, but still want protection. Body guards. Bouncers.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I7d suspect that such gear probably is avaialable, but generally, the better rptoection the more noticable the armor would be. Since a Baslt Vest or Harshell hemelt is worth +1Dphsycial/+1 Eneegry, I doublt they would have anything much better than is concealable.

Using modern body armor for comparsion, the stuff that is easily concealable or hard to detect doesn't stop much. Typically Class I protection, or Class II tops.Those will stop light to medium handguns, but still leave some brusing. So I don7t think there should be much more than +1 or 2 pips of protection in Star Wars.

One big difference between modern day and Star Wars though, is that weapons and armor are much more commonplace and acceptable in the Star Wars Universe. So I wonder if concealable body armor is as much of an issue as it is on modern Earth. This is a scoecity where bounty hunters walk around in full combat armor.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrecting this thread, cause of all three of the John Wick films. We see them create business suits that can resist a # of shots by pistols..
So i wonder, what THOSE suits would have, SW wise, for stats??
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Resurrecting this thread, cause of all three of the John Wick films. We see them create business suits that can resist a # of shots by pistols..
So i wonder, what THOSE suits would have, SW wise, for stats??

Armorweave with +1 and +2 pips I would think would be the closest equivalent in star wars.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a tough call. In reality, it takes quite a bit to defeat armor (several shots placed at the same spot so as to weaken that spot before penetration). Unless the shot is coming from a weapon powerful enough to completely bypass the armor (in real life, armor tends to be all or nothing).

Seems like, if we wanted something "realistic" we would need to have armor ratings that render weapons below a certain "caliber" nearly ineffective (unless the shooter shoots "around" the armor, such as taking face shots when the head has a helmet on, or when the chest has armor on it).

As for clothing that stops bullets, seems like something with no dex penalty and that provides nearly complete protection against certain damage values. For example:

If the damage roll is 15 or less, no need to roll to resist. The weapon fails to cause damage at all. If the damage roll is 16 or better, roll to resist as normal.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some of this just comes down to the armor system as it is... if my armor gives me +2D against physical, I'm not technically immune to a weapon with a 3D die code, but odds are pretty good I'm going to completely ignore it.. my 4D to 5D (if I flatter myself) against that 3D die code is going to be pretty commanding.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: