The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rules on Cortosis?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Rules on Cortosis? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Rules on Cortosis? Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone has any or knows where to find some?

Not that we'll have it available in our game anytime soon but my character nearly dying to a lightsaber on two separate occasions and developing a hate of them more than likely means he'll be searching for the material the moment he learns of it.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we had something about that in our KotOR Campaign Guide Conversion book. I think that in the KotOR period, having a cortosis alloy it raised the price of the item by 20%. Any such item would not be damaged by a lightsaber. In the Legacy Era there is a Cortosis Gauntlet, and there were some variances as to how to interpret that item, given that it was made with PURE cortosis. I was of the opinion that it should shut down lightsabers entirely for two minutes.

Now, if I were going to do a cortosis alloy in any period other than KotOR, I would have it increase the cost of the item by 100% - 200%, just because of how rare the substance had become. As lightsabers became less common, the need for common citizens to defend themselves against them became less common. The availability of a thing affects the price of a thing.

Is there anything more specific you were looking for?

EDIT: BTW, here's the link for the KOTOR conversion guide, just in case you don't already have it: http://www.4shared.com/account/document/BRnBDkxM/Star_Wars_D6_-_Conversion_-_Kn.html
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ew... actually, this is kinda awkward. I've just looked through my excel file of all the conversions we've ever done, and I don't see anything on cortosis rules. I thought for sure it was in one of the Saga books somewhere in terms of making a cortosis alloy and adding it to an existing item.

Anybody remember seeing this?
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres also Phrik, discussed in the Magnaguard thread. It doesnt shut down lightsabers, but is highly resistant to them. Its meantioned as being used in 'extremely light and durable battle armours', also its very expensive. My idea is to make it more resistant to energy than to physical damage. Isnt Cortosis mentioned to be brittle? That could also mean a low reisistance to physical damage.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pure unrefined cortosis is brittle, and is REALLY hard to make into good armor. Most of the time you get cortosis in an alloy which is stronger, and merely lightsaber resistant.
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our game we have used the following rules - let me know what you think and feel free to use.

Cortosis Ore is Ionized, and reacts violently with biological matter - causing mortal wounds or death. (8D Energy dmg if touched without proper protection.) Cortosis dust is just as deadly if not more so than solid ore when inhaled. (Treat as moderate radiation poisoning with 2D damage every 24 hours.) Cortosis brittle and mining operations often run into structure integrity problems.

Refining Cortosis is a Difficult task.
Purifying Cortosis is a Heroic task.
Alloying Cortosis is a Heroic task.

Creating any item out of Cortosis should have a difficulty rating one level higher than normal.

Items made of Refined Cortosis are +1D vs Energy (Additional +2 vs Lightsabers.) and -1D vs Physical.

Items made of Purified Cortosis are +2D vs Energy -1D vs Physical,
additionally lightsabers that strike such items temporarily short out for 2D Rounds, but still deal half normal dmg to the item.

Cortosis tends to retain its energy resistant properties when alloyed with other metals.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

only 2d damage a round for breathng the stuff in. seems a little light.
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radiation poisoning is cumulative according one of the books.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So 2d this round/minute, 4d tomorrow, 6d the day after etc?
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup.
Darth Paul
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The conversions of the D20 Dark Side Sourcebook and the Saga Edition Threats of the Galaxy have the following in them:

Cortosis Weave
Cost to add to armor: 15,000
Deactivates lightsabers*
Difficulty to Add to armor: Heroic Armor Repair
*Cortosis weave damages lightsabers. When a lightsaber strikes and inflicts damage on anyone wearing dark armor with Cortosis weave, roll the lightsaber's body strength (typically 2D) versus the damage rolled against the target, and consult the rules for "Damaged Weapons" on SWD6, page 95. For rules on repairing damaged weapons, see SWD6, page 60.

Cortosis Gauntlets
Model: Imperrial Knight Cortosis Gauntlet
Tyype: Gauntlet
Sccale: Character
Skkill: Melee parry: gauntlet
Cost: 1,500
Avvailability: 3
Game Notes:+1D physical, +2 energy. If a lightsaber blade touches the cortosis gauntley, it is deactivated (though the strike still deals normal damage) and remains inoperative for 2 minutes.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Paul wrote:
The conversions of the D20 Dark Side Sourcebook and the Saga Edition Threats of the Galaxy have the following in them:

Cortosis Weave
Cost to add to armor: 15,000
Deactivates lightsabers*
Difficulty to Add to armor: Heroic Armor Repair
*Cortosis weave damages lightsabers. When a lightsaber strikes and inflicts damage on anyone wearing dark armor with Cortosis weave, roll the lightsaber's body strength (typically 2D) versus the damage rolled against the target, and consult the rules for "Damaged Weapons" on SWD6, page 95. For rules on repairing damaged weapons, see SWD6, page 60.

Cortosis Gauntlets
Model: Imperrial Knight Cortosis Gauntlet
Tyype: Gauntlet
Sccale: Character
Skkill: Melee parry: gauntlet
Cost: 1,500
Avvailability: 3
Game Notes:+1D physical, +2 energy. If a lightsaber blade touches the cortosis gauntley, it is deactivated (though the strike still deals normal damage) and remains inoperative for 2 minutes.

So basically, for the low cost of a dismembered hand you can deactivate a lightsaber for two minutes? Laughing
Darth Paul
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if you're going to lose your hand anyway, you might as well take away his ability to chop off your other hand.
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

So basically, for the low cost of a dismembered hand you can deactivate a lightsaber for two minutes? Laughing[/quote]

Not in my game. There were several discussions as to how to do this in the conversion thread. It hasn't come up in my game, but if it were, then the gauntlet would deactivate the lightsaber on contact, and the lightsaber would never sever the hand.

The d20 mechanic requires the character to make a free melee attack against the lightsatsaber with a DC15 or a DC20. So, there are plenty of ways to implement that sort of idea in a game.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm interesting take.

I thought that the ore de-activated the saber, but did not keep it off. it did do damage, as I remember them saying that it would take a lightsaber 100s of strokes to get through a set of armor (granted is minimal, but it adds up Wink

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: