The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

I gotta ask - whats the point of a normal blaster pistol?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> I gotta ask - whats the point of a normal blaster pistol? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its way more cool using a sporting blaster than a heavy blaster.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again looking at Gry's Weapons Stats PDF on the sporting blasters listed there the only clear advantages of the sporting blaster over the heavy blaster are cost, ammo, and medium range.

Most of the sporting blasters have a max range that looks very much like a heavy blaster, 50 to 60 meters (actually, most of the sporting blasters in the PDF top out at 60 meters), so there's little point there to consider a sporting blaster over a heavy blaster. But medium range has most sporting blasters between 30 and forty meters, which beats out the 25 meter range for most heavy blasters.

Cost it's more effective to go with a sporting blaster as the most expensive make and model in the PDF is 600 credits, most are under 600 creds. In fact most are under 400 credits.

Ammo is even more variable with sporting blasters, but most are at 50 rounds and this is the low end.

Personally, I'd rather have a standard blaster over a sporting blaster. Most standard blasters pack a little more punch than sporting blasters, plus they have better ranges.

Wanted Poster
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. And are usually cheaper as well.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main advantage of sporting blasters is that it's perfectly legal to carry them around in most worlds. It's a diplomat's weapon.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:
Again looking at Gry's Weapons Stats PDF on the sporting blasters listed there the only clear advantages of the sporting blaster over the heavy blaster are cost, ammo, and medium range.

Most of the sporting blasters have a max range that looks very much like a heavy blaster, 50 to 60 meters (actually, most of the sporting blasters in the PDF top out at 60 meters), so there's little point there to consider a sporting blaster over a heavy blaster. But medium range has most sporting blasters between 30 and forty meters, which beats out the 25 meter range for most heavy blasters.

Cost it's more effective to go with a sporting blaster as the most expensive make and model in the PDF is 600 credits, most are under 600 creds. In fact most are under 400 credits.

Ammo is even more variable with sporting blasters, but most are at 50 rounds and this is the low end.

Personally, I'd rather have a standard blaster over a sporting blaster. Most standard blasters pack a little more punch than sporting blasters, plus they have better ranges.

In my games no one used the Sporting blaster. Because of this, and also personal preferences, I raised the range to around 90m.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: