The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Martial arts skills
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Martial arts skills Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Esoomian wrote:

Is there any way with the dueling blades sytem that both parties can have a successful attack and both damage each other?

No, since the system uses an opposed roll.

In theory it could happen in my variant though, since technically a tied roll would mean both succeed (you have to equal or exceed the target number). If the combantants were doing maneuvers that were favored by thier fighting style/lightsaber form, they could technically both hit for a weak strike.

Since my rule for pressing/advancing/agressive fighting bumbs the SL up for the winner (no matter who), I suppose two guys fighting agressively could both his for a moderate strike (up to 9D with lightsaber) if they both tied.

But I expect most PCs would spend a CP to avoid the tie.

The reason you cannot both hit in a round, or just statistically, is why I switched to an Attack roll and a Defence roll.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Sorry, dont have the rules with me. The general idea is..

Attackers attack roll minus Defenders defence roll:
0-1: Weapon 'lock' (until 1 wins push or disengages)
2-4: Draw
5-8: Advantage (winner +1D next round).
9-12: Light Hit (-1D, max lvl wounded)
13-16: Solid Hit (max lvl Incap.)
17+: Heavy Hit (no max lvl).

The actual numbers are just examples not the exact one I use which I dont recall exactly. The lower numbers should be mostly correct, but the higher ones Im not sure about.

I am thinking of adding a list of negative results as well. This would mean that if you make a really bad attack, the defending opponent might get an advantage.

This is supposed to interact with different 'stances' (defensive, all out, Riposte, etc). These will give bonuses and penalties to the different rolls. A 'Defensive Stance, might for example give you a +2D to Defence but a -2D to Attack. 'All Out' will give you an Attack and Damage bonus, but will leave you with very little defence. A 'Riposte' might mean a penalty to attack but if your opponent gets a negative score on the above table you get a 'free' attack in. This also lends itself to include the different 'lightsaber style' actions.

This is still under construction, but isnt neccessary for the basic rules to work.

Hehehe, found the rules I tried to quote from memory above. Turns out this was an improvement...and Im keeping these..
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...An optional rule I tried some time back (though have yet to repeat) was a "toughness" rating for Brawling attacks only. Essentially it boiled down to a +1 pip of innate resilience per D of Strength the player/NPC had--an example used was that of a frail Human with only 1D Strength (an Etti that had been a couch potato for too long, lol) trying to slap a Wookiee with 5D Strength into submission--I don't think I need to go into detail as to the end result, but suffice it to say that siad Wookiee received a bounty mark from displeased relations Twisted Evil .

...In contrast to the normal rounding up to 1D for every 3rd pip, I kept it in numbers. This was to reflect simply that some beings are more resistant to such attacks than others for various reasons: in this over-simplified example, being powerfully built. This "toughness" related to Brawling attacks only. (Once WOTC brought out its Armor rules in the horrible D20 blasphemy, there was no need for anything of the kind anymore...& I haven't broken this out since)
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schnarre wrote:
...An optional rule I tried some time back (though have yet to repeat) was a "toughness" rating for Brawling attacks only. Essentially it boiled down to a +1 pip of innate resilience per D of Strength the player/NPC had--an example used was that of a frail Human with only 1D Strength (an Etti that had been a couch potato for too long, lol) trying to slap a Wookiee with 5D Strength into submission--I don't think I need to go into detail as to the end result, but suffice it to say that siad Wookiee received a bounty mark from displeased relations Twisted Evil .

Sorry if I'm missing something, but isn't this redunctant? STR is already used to resist damage, so the frail HUman with 1D STR punchig a 5D STR Wookiee is already a situation where athe Wookiee7s high STR is going to let it soak up the brawling damage. Accoring to the RAW the "frail human" has a 1 in 46656 chance of hurting the Wookiee.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...It really is redundant. I haven't used it since & don't see a reason for it.
Anakin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.angelfire.com/in/comcorporation/martialarts.html
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Sorry if I'm missing something, but isn't this redunctant? STR is already used to resist damage, so the frail HUman with 1D STR punchig a 5D STR Wookiee is already a situation where athe Wookiee7s high STR is going to let it soak up the brawling damage. Accoring to the RAW the "frail human" has a 1 in 46656 chance of hurting the Wookiee.

It might be simpler to say Brawling attacks only inflict Stun damage, except in special circumstances, such as special training that allows the brawler to inflict normal damage.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving this a bump on account of thinking up a new Martial Technique to add to the list from Rules of Engagement:

Missile Parry
Description: The character has honed their reflexes to the point where they can deflect or grab thrown weapons or arrows.
Difficulty:
    Blunt Thrown Weapons (Rocks, Grenades, etc): Very Easy
    Simple Thrown Weapons (Knives, Spears, etc): Easy
    Augmented Thrown Weapons (Sling Pellets, Levered Spears, etc): Moderate
    Bows & Crossbows: Difficult

At +5 Difficulty, the character can grab the Missile instead of simply batting it away.
Effect: The character may roll their (A) Martial Arts skill against the listed Difficulty for the type of attack. On a successful attempt, the missile is either deflected or grabbed. On a failure, the character is struck for normal damage.

Note: Characters without this Ability may attempt to deflect or grab missiles, but the Base Difficulty is Heroic instead of Very Easy.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it.. Especially since in ADND monks had missile deflection abilities!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

The only thing I'm waffling on is, since I'm making Martial Arts an Advanced Skill, should the attempt be rolled solely with the Martial Arts dice, or with the stacked Parry + Martial Arts?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

The only thing I'm waffling on is, since I'm making Martial Arts an Advanced Skill, should the attempt be rolled solely with the Martial Arts dice, or with the stacked Parry + Martial Arts?

Drop the above diff down by 1 cat, or make it an opposed roll, and have it be the *A* only..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Drop the above diff down by 1 cat, or make it an opposed roll, and have it be the *A* only..

Dropping everything down by a level, then rolling only the (A) Skill seems a better fit for what we already have. Opposed roll implies that a thrown weapon will be harder to parry just because it's thrown more accurately, which I don't agree with.

One of the drawbacks to making this an (A) Skill-only ability is that it doesn't really fit with how most people have at least a basic ability to catch a thrown object like a baseball. Granted, underhand-tossing something gently with the intent of someone catching it is a far cry from catching a rock thrown with maximum force and the intent to do harm. However, the RAW has a precedent in place for this, where a character with only First Aid can run a Bacta Tank on a Heroic roll even though it would normally require dice in Medicine. It's a pretty wide split, though: Very Easy (A) Medicine or Heroic First Aid. Does Heroic sound like a decent Base Difficulty for someone attempting to do this without Martial Arts training?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Dropping everything down by a level, then rolling only the (A) Skill seems a better fit for what we already have. Opposed roll implies that a thrown weapon will be harder to parry just because it's thrown more accurately, which I don't agree with.

That's debatable. BUT if its harder to hit someone dodging via shooting, then it would stand to reason, that someone trying to BLOCK a shot (thrown weapon) would also have it harder to do, based on how well someone shot at you..

CRMcNeill wrote:

One of the drawbacks to making this an (A) Skill-only ability is that it doesn't really fit with how most people have at least a basic ability to catch a thrown object like a baseball. Granted, underhand-tossing something gently with the intent of someone catching it is a far cry from catching a rock thrown with maximum force and the intent to do harm. However, the RAW has a precedent in place for this, where a character with only First Aid can run a Bacta Tank on a Heroic roll even though it would normally require dice in Medicine. It's a pretty wide split, though: Very Easy (A) Medicine or Heroic First Aid. Does Heroic sound like a decent Base Difficulty for someone attempting to do this without Martial Arts training?

I never understood that 'caveat to first aid for bacta tank usage. BUT based on that precedent, yes i say allowing it at a heroic level for those without the (A) skill is ok.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That's debatable. BUT if its harder to hit someone dodging via shooting, then it would stand to reason, that someone trying to BLOCK a shot (thrown weapon) would also have it harder to do, based on how well someone shot at you.

Honestly, I'm seriously starting to doubt whether Dodge should be allowed at all outside of a normal Movement or diving for the nearest piece of cover. There doesn't really seem to be precedent for it in the films apart from that.

Quote:
I never understood that 'caveat to first aid for bacta tank usage.

It's mostly to do with a bacta tank requiring specialized training to operate, something that isn't covered by the basic First Aid skill, but is simple enough that its operation can be inferred by someone with enough basic medical training to operate it.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

CRMcNeill wrote:

I never understood that 'caveat to first aid for bacta tank usage. BUT based on that precedent, yes i say allowing it at a heroic level for those without the (A) skill is ok.

I know it breaks the Star Wars aesthetic, but I keep thinking "Why not stick a droid brain in that control panel? And maybe some droid arms to pull people in and out?"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: