The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Martial arts skills
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Martial arts skills Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest taking a look at the Dueling Blades supplement, where an entire round of melee combat is condensed down to a single opposed roll. It's intended for sword fighting, but can easily be adapted to unarmed combat. Im AFK right now, so I can't link my copy, but give me a day or two to get home and I'll link it.

Whill, maybe Dueling Blades could be added to the Download Library?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
...And at the bottom of the Peter Schweighofer section, I added a link to his website, which includes his "Dueling Blades" lightsaber combat system.

NEW --> Schweig's Griffon Publishing Studio

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill, maybe Dueling Blades could be added to the Download Library?

I already added it back in September.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there it is, then. Laughing

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion for Shock-boxing would be to give them "kick attacks" using their fists. Anyone ever played Street Fighter? Balrog had only punch moves even using kick buttons.
Krassh
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main question would be, what special bonus or maneuver would a trained shock boxer get in comparison to other martial arts styles?

Extra hard punches? Some additional stun resistance from being used to getting zapped?
Easier to knock adversaries out with a punch or a special knockout maneuver?

Just FYI my pretty brawling optimized current barabel char has 8D stun damage (7D normal damage with jury rigged gloves) with shock gloves set to max and 10D (9D) with his smasher armor.

Very few enemies can take what he dishes out as is with the basic maneuvers.
Storm trooper armors crack like crab shells under a sledgehammer.
Most Wookies are little more than furry punching bags.

And yet, a trained shock boxer should be capable of a little more than a regular street brawler imho. I mean, how many untrained brawlers or amateur martial artists could stand against a Mike Tyson or Tyson Fury in their prime in a brawl?

Another aspect not entirely clear is: do strikes with shock boxing gloves go against physical or energy resistance? Especially those jury rigged to do fatal damage instead of stun.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big questin, is this barbel ALWAYS walking around with that armor/gloves on?? IF so, HOW?
Krassh
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Big questin, is this barbel ALWAYS walking around with that armor/gloves on?? IF so, HOW?

Yes, yes he is!
Shockboxing gloves are described as a kind of fingerless gloves with shock striking pads on the knuckles and back of hand. So they should be perfectly usable in everyday situations. Barabel, as cold blooded reptiles, don't sweat, so wearing those gloves for extended durations of time shouldn't be particularly uncomfortable or unhygienic.

And the smasher armor is described as a powered suit, but a particularly light and comfortable one which doesn't restrict movement or dexterity in any way.
Also, it is not immediately apparent as a powered armor.

But one unclear question about it is: is it affected by the powered armor skill or is that required for operation? Because right now, i simply use it as a regular light armor and main everyday apparel. Except when working out ofc.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krassh wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Yes, yes he is!
Shockboxing gloves are described as a kind of fingerless gloves with shock striking pads on the knuckles and back of hand. So they should be perfectly usable in everyday situations. Barabel, as cold blooded reptiles, don't sweat, so wearing those gloves for extended durations of time shouldn't be particularly uncomfortable or unhygienic.

And the smasher armor is described as a powered suit, but a particularly light and comfortable one which doesn't restrict movement or dexterity in any way.

But one unclear question about it is: is it affected by the powered armor skill or is that required for operation? Because right now, i simply use it as a regular light armor and main everyday apparel. Except when working out ofc.

is not a martial arts question, but yes power suit operation does affect a powered armor, or at least according to the rules shoul do so.
Stromes, meeeeeh I don't know, their armors are described as such, but I suppose it is to operate any "advanced" amor features, but yes is a good question
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krassh wrote:

I was more on about, does every planet he goes on (or space station), LET HIM walk around all of those places, wearing all of that get up?
Do you not have any place, with armor/weapon restrictions??

As to it's power armor question. IT should be, but WHY so many players love, it is it DOESN'T specifically call out needing the power suit operation skill.
Krassh
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

I was more on about, does every planet he goes on (or space station), LET HIM walk around all of those places, wearing all of that get up?
Do you not have any place, with armor/weapon restrictions??

As to it's power armor question. IT should be, but WHY so many players love, it is it DOESN'T specifically call out needing the power suit operation skill.

Well, in the outer rim there are few planets with such bureaucratic restrictions. On Bespin, where i participated in an official championship match, i also had no problems so far.
Right now on a Imperial core world i have a licence as bodyguard for which i have declared the armor.
And for all other occasions, it just looks like a regular light armor and is only noticeable upon closer inspection.
In the ring it is banned of course, but in a cage fighting match or bar brawl not so much.

And shockboxing gloves are more sports gear than weapons, especially since they are technically non-lethal. And shockboxing gear is legal nearly everywhere. So yes, my barabel is a mostly legal killing machine (like a small Rancor) in close quarters with his unassuming gear, ready at all times. Also very much without, though noticeably less so. And as an amateur competitive shock boxer with quite a few fights to his name, he has a quite convincing alibi for having that gear on him at all times.

Let's just say my GM has to severely pimp my opponents, lest i make too short work of them. And there are few things short of a heavy repeater, missile or light saber able to stop me.

But yeah, that power armor question needs clarification rules wise, especially since one could probably (temporarily) shut down powered armors with an ion blast, severely hampering the movement of the one inside.

Anyway, back to the martial arts questions, because those need serious answering!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of approving the Shockboxer template for my game but changing the default species to Trandoshan (since they are on one of my playable species lists and Barabels aren't). I'm interesting in learning about your character and their adventures.

And your GM is also welcome to come here and ask his questions directly. Please invite him. He can send a working email address and preferred username to forums -at- rancorpit -dot- com.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even in outer rim areas, i'd not see someone walking around all day, in smasher armor as normal.. It would be like in an adnd game, someone wearing plate mail, in town all the time...
And in no way, have i ever seen it as "unassuming light armor".
Krassh
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Even in outer rim areas, i'd not see someone walking around all day, in smasher armor as normal.. It would be like in an adnd game, someone wearing plate mail, in town all the time...
And in no way, have i ever seen it as "unassuming light armor".

Well, in Gundark's fantastic technology the smasher armor is classified as a regular personal body armor, but enhanced by micro servos. So it seems to be not a real powered armor suit, but more of a modified semi-powered armor. And since its protection value is rather low, with only +1D each, and it has no movement/dexterity restrictions, i would see it as an effectively rather comfortable to wear light armor somewhere in between an armored jumpsuit and a regular full body armor like stormtrooper armor.
It's price is also rather on the lower end for armors, so barely a rare high tech gear.

And as said, my Barabel doesn't sweat and has a natural body armor more protective than the smasher armor itself, so he's used to wearing armor all the time Wink
So since the armor doesn't really restrict him in any way but also provides warmth through added climate regulation, which is important for a cold blooded being, there's really no reason for him not to constantly wear it.
Besides, the only thing more imposing than a big, strong Barabel is one in additional body armor.

And if Mandalorians can wear their armor practically nonstop, then so can my Barabel!

Quote:
And your GM is also welcome to come here and ask his questions directly. Please invite him. He can send a working email address and preferred username to forums -at- rancorpit -dot- com.

Thanks, i'm sure he's already lurking here, but we're using quick homebrew rules mostly if something is unclear. It's our first SWD6 game also and the simplicity of the system compared to what we're playing usually which drew us to it.
Krassh
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm interesting in learning about your character and their adventures.

There's really not that much to my Barabel. Made him rather lazily by the book, optimized to be a tanky and capable brawler damage dealer, cold blooded, rough and tough with a penchant for competitive violence and getting into trouble with the authorities.
Equipment was chosen to maximize his natural strengths, which are physical strength, speed and dexterity, as well as perception. Pretty much a lizard space barbarian Rocky Balboa with self control. Pretty useless in most other aspects, for which he relies on his street savvy Twilek companion, of which he's fiercely protective since she broke him out of jail once.
Aspires to become shock boxing champion of the outer rim and eventually return to his homeworld as a made man of great renown, to found his own clan, because his original one was practically wiped out by slavers and hunters. Has a history as a slave, gladiator, cage fighter and later bodyguard and eventually amateur shock boxer.
Isn't opposed to illegal activities either, if they pay well, so morally rather ambiguous. But doesn't usually kill without a good reason, prefers to just knock out and pummel his adversaries and humiliate them on occasion. Though most soft skinned ones simply break too easily, especially the imperial ones in their fragile white plastic shells. So useless!
He's extremely competitive and suffers from occasional motion sickness, but his strong constitution compensates well for that usually. Also he has extremely good eyes, which coupled with his natural infrared vision makes for a deadly hunter able to spot targets early in most conditions.
Uses a riot gun repeater as preferred shooter, because MOAR DAKKA! Also because he's not the best shot and he needs to suppress the enemy in order to get into brawling range. Backup is a heavy blaster pistol looted from Pirates, but didn't need to use it yet, as few can stand against his devastating fists as is.

As for adventures:

Well, it's a rather sandboxy dynamically improvised homebrew campaign with dynamically switching GMs (players) so everyone gets to play. There are a few overarching story arcs (which the quite experienced and talented main GM set) and a lot of smaller side adventure plot hooks. Set around 4 BBY.
And we're still mostly at the beginning, having played less than a dozen evenings yet and our PCs (which were created as moderately experienced with some extra dice) are still getting to know each other.

Basically, we met on a backwater outer rim planet and pirate haven by chance when the Empire suddenly attacked with 2 ISDs. Probably were looking for our Twilek Jedi hiding out there, as they sent some inquisitors after him.
After dealing with them and escaping, but at the cost of losing his wife and son (and the bar he was the proprietor of since going into hiding after Order 66), our Herglic pilot and his Umbaran slave trader companion lost their snazzy chrome Naboo ship and its cargo to the Imperials and everyone was stranded on the planet under siege, where my Barabel shock boxer and his female Twilek buddy, "promoter" and master slicer were looking to get themselves a proper ship off this chilly backwater rock somehow. After paying a local info broker with most of their credits, it happened to be that one of the local pirate gangs had acquired a rather fancy and quick space yacht recently, which we planned to steal. Only problem was: we needed a pilot, which we later luckily found in the Herglic when we were all fleeing from the assaulting imperials, where we also were joined by an old veteran clone trooper defector with quite the history, some dark secrets and severe PTSD, medicated by regular dosing with alcohol.
After meeting up trying to evade the imperials, we agreed to take our chances and infiltrate the pirate base to steal the ship, which turned out to be a really fancy and luxurious custom space yacht, one of a kind made by ZAON of Kuat Drive Yards pedigree really, formerly belonging to a minor imperial Moff.
So we stole the ship under the pirate's noses, whilst the imperials assaulted the pirate base, and we managed to get away in the heat of battle and shake the imperial pursuers (by blowing them up with 4 quad laser turrets), since the ship was also a heavily armed and armored high security transport with triple the firepower of the Millennium Falcon and almost as quick and maneuverable, especially in the pudgy yet dexterous hands of a Herglic master spacer, who promptly fell in love with it.

So, our motley crew of fugitives and drifters alone has enough personal baggage and background story to fill a year's worth of adventure and now they have a ship (originally dubbed the "Glorious Heritage" but renamed by the crew to Serenity (original, i know!) which opens up the whole galaxy to them.

Next we were pulled out of hyperspace by a gravity well projector from a wrecked Interdictor cruiser, which pirates had appropriated to trap travelers for robbing.
Their attempt to pull us into the hangar of their damaged Republic area Corellian Corvette, which served as their base of operations, turned into a surprising and hilarious counter-boarding operation, and now we also are in possession of a mostly intact but stationary modified Corvette (type Far Star) in need of a new hyperdrive (and a crew to operate it). Quite the good hideout spot too. And we also have a heavily damaged but salvageable YT drifting outside in need of a new cockpit.
Should have seen the look on the pirate's faces as our motley little troupe of fugitives turned out to be quite the effective boarding commando and relatively effortlessly punched, shot and sliced its way through their four times superior numbers!
The only pirate which managed to make it out alive in a fighter later sent some mercenaries to retake the ship, which failed just as hilariously, and the captured mercs were marooned by us on the nearby planet. But the guy is sure to give us some more troubles in the future. Also we liberated some sex slaves from the pirates, one of which turned out to be a Jedi Padawan held captive on the ship, to whose original crew she belonged. So we gave her temporary command of the ship in our absence.

Next stop was a planet with a pirate haven nearby, where we ate well, my Barabel easily won a cage match against a Gammorean, which he choked out with his own axe, making us some easy money. Which we decided not to spend there, as we either didn't find what we were looking for or stuff was just generally overpriced. Then another gang tried to ambush us on the way back to our ship, which they wanted to claim. Needless to say, it didn't quite go for them as they expected (the heavy repeater looted from the Pirates and mounted under the ship as a anti-personell support weapon, which was called and controlled by our pilot per remote, proved especially helpful and devastating), but the planet seemed to be too much potential trouble for now, so we left.

Either way, we have some optional adventures with and around that old Corvette, especially getting it going again, but next we needed proper new transponder codes for our ship, if we planned on keeping it without constantly running from the imperials everywhere. Our slicer fixed us up some temporary forged ones in the meantime.

So the next stop was Bespin, where our Umbaran functioning as our fixer through his many contacts tried to get us what we needed. Also we wanted to go shopping a bit and sell the spice crates we looted from the pirates.
Which we all managed. Also by chance my Barabel got to have a replacement fight against the finalist of the sector shock boxing championship, since his opponent suddenly fell severely sick unexpectedly. Which i lost closely, since my opponent was a Besalisk and simply had just too many arms (and the GM gave him an exceedingly well padded character point pool to pose a serious challenge to me). Sad
But we still were able to make some good money from bets and also from the fight itself and my Barabel gained some coveted notoriety in the shock boxing world to further his personal ambitions.

Which might turned out to be a double bladed sword after all, since we were ambushed by Cad Bane and a troupe of bounty hunters back at the ship, which they tried to access, wanting a piece of curiously heavily encrypted data from the ship's computer on behold of an extremely well paying client (most likely the original owner of the ship).
With a lot of cool headedness (and Jedi powers) we managed to convinced them to rather not pick this fight with us right now and leave without firing a single shot.
But of course we found a well hidden tracker on the ship, which we then tried to sneak on a soon to become infamous YT-1300 on a star base, where we made a short stop, only to have it promptly returned to us. But we managed to lose it again, hopefully sending Bane on a wild goose chase in the wrong direction, getting him off our backs for now.

Our Umbaran fixer had indeed acquired us a VIP transport job which would not just pay handsomely, but also provide us with proper transponder codes and licences for the ship as an advance payment, so we made our way mid rim to pick up our apparently wealthy and demanding guest, in order to bring him safely and comfortably to Corulac, where we were to function as his bodyguards (licences provided) for business to be conducted.
On the way there, my fiercely competitive Barabel managed to drink our passenger under the table in a contest with some the finest spirits the galaxy had to offer, courtesy by the guest's personal reserves, winning him 5000 credits. Could have been 10.000 but my Barabel wasn't feeling quite as wastefully rich as the passenger. Ah, hindsight! Sad
Either way, right now we're on Corulac, an imperial core world with military academy, in an extremely luxurious penthouse, where our guest just shot the planetary governor dead after she accused him of being a spy. Then he got shot by one of her elite guards and went down, then we began shooting (and punching) and as of right now, 2 of the originally 6 elite guards are still alive, whilst an alarm is ringing and a bunch of storm troopers is disembarking from 2 gun ships on the terrace, whilst we are extremely curious how we got into this mess (by being not discerning and carefully vetting our job prospects enough), what made us band of misfits and fugitives agree to fly to an imperial core world on a rather conspicuous ship stolen from a Moff, Carrying a passenger we know preciously little off (except for him being stinking rich and luxury loving) and what our next move will be to get out of it alive and with our fancy new ship if possible.
Suffice to say, we're all having loads of fun so far and i can hardly wait for our next session!

Please feel free to move this post to a more appropriate sub forum if you wish so.
Krassh
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, since there is no further input, i'm gonna go with this:

Shock Boxing is a primarily non-lethal martial art born out of a galaxy wide popular competitive sport, focused entirely on hard hitting punches and flurries of quick jabs, intended to overwhelm and incapacitate the enemy as quickly as possible by stunning them and knocking them out cold, whilst avoiding enemy strikes through a mix of blocking and dodging.
Grappling is barely used in it, kicks or jumps not at all.
For maximum effectiveness, the usage of shock boxing gloves or equivalent combat gloves is advised, but bare knuckle fighting is widely spread.

Special abilities:
Stun resistant: Shock boxers are used to getting zapped in training or the ring and thus get +1D to resist all stun effects.

Knockout punch: A powerful blow to the head (or equivalent body part) which instantly knocks the target unconscious for 2D rounds, if its damage surpasses the target's strength to resist roll by more than 10 and the target fails a difficult stamina check.

Available combat actions:

Instant knockdown
Instant stun
Punch
Power block
Weapon block
Hold/Grapple
Head butt

Quick combo - The shock boxer unleashes a flurry of 3 quick jabs and strikes at a single target in brawling range without multiple action penalty, but at a flat -1D damage per hit (not cumulative).

Float like a Mynock - The shock boxer dedicates all his actions for the round to defense and focuses entirely on nimbly evading enemy strikes.
He can parry up to 3 brawling/melee attacks in a single round at no multiple action penalty, with every further one incuring a -1D penalty. The action "exploit opening" cannot be combined with this.

Exploit opening - The shock boxer can choose to throw a quick jab in his reaction at an opponent who failed his brawling/melee attack roll or was successfully parried.
The strike does -1D damage and the opponent can only dodge the surprising strike with a difficult reaction parry.

The general idea is, that shock boxing is a more restricted and focused martial art with fewer combat options, omitting most grappling moves and all jumps or kicks, but a bit more powerful punches and a second special ability instead.

Any criticisms or suggestions? Objections?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: