The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Mandalorians as player characters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Mandalorians as player characters Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnjonnzz
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Mandalorians as player characters Reply with quote

What are people's thoughts as to allowing Mandos as PCs during the Rise of the Empire/Rebellion era?

EDIT: Player Mandalorians, Dredwulf style!
Critias
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it really just depends on what feel/mood of a game you're going for -- if the rest of the players (and the GM) are cool with it...why not?
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its just a background option I cant see why other players opinions would matter. If you load them up with 'cheesy' special abilities and loads of extra dice (read: Noghris) then Id say no.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO it would also depend on the type of campaign. A rebellion versus the empire, i could not really see a mando in. A fringe game against all commers, especially with bounty hunters, i could.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echoing what the others said. Even in a Rebellion campaign, Mandalorian background might provide some intercharacter tension if someone else is playing a Jedi or Jedi wannabe. If that works for your players and GM it can make for more interesting play. 8) 8)

I have a character who was part of the elite guards on his planet. Their motto "where the Jedi failed, we prevail."

I like Jedi characters, but I think it is interesting if opinions of PCs and NPCs regarding Jedi includes lots of points of view (approval, admiration, envy, mistrust, hostility, etc.). The one thing I really liked in Truce at Bakura was the philosophy of balance that disapproved of Jedi becasue they had/took more than their fair share of power and goodness. This was bad because to balance it there would need to be people with corresponding weakness and evil.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have considered allowing them once or twice, but never really had anyone express interest. If I did, I might consider giving them a watered down version of the Taung for racial maxes, mins, and abilities.
jonnjonnzz
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I intend on treating them just like any other character, 18D template +7D skills. The armor will follow the standard +2D phys/+1D energy/-1D Dex template, but I will let the players have 2 additional weapons systems mounted on their armor with an Armor Weapons skill under the Mechanical attribute.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnjonnzz wrote:
I intend on treating them just like any other character, 18D template +7D skills. The armor will follow the standard +2D phys/+1D energy/-1D Dex template, but I will let the players have 2 additional weapons systems mounted on their armor with an Armor Weapons skill under the Mechanical attribute.

Cant see this upsetting any players, except perhaps Jedis. Luckily in my groups the Jedi is a bit of an airhead and has no clue..(kind of a young prodigy).
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Quote:
jonnjonnzz wrote:
Quote:

Cant see this upsetting any players, except perhaps Jedis. Luckily in my groups the Jedi is a bit of an airhead and has no clue..(kind of a young prodigy).

Shocked Hey my Jedi resembles that remark. Laughing

Seriously, I agree what jonnjonnzz proposes seems very reasonable. We had a character like that for a while. He had custom armor that he never removed. Some characters had never seen his face. As I recall he maxed his stats 4D for DEX, MEC, and STR and went 2D for KNO, PER, and TEC. He was a bit one sided, but the player seemed to like that. Also he was a bit of a sociopath - the character...well maybe the player too. Laughing After the player left the campaign we still used the character a few times.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did he ever suffer enemy force users targeting him cause of that low per?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, gharkal. He tried to use sensors in his armor suit to compensate, but the low percepetion was an accident just waiting to happen. Twisted Evil

It roleplayed ok in some ways though as the character tended to see all other beings in two somewhat overlapping sets - those beings that are trying or are likely to try killing me, those beings I can kill.

The group of characters he ran with didn't run into any force users light or dark. We play in the Rebellion timeframe from about 3 years before the Battle of Yavin to 4-5 months post Yavin. Not too many Force users of either type are seen. I think we have around 5-6 PCs with Force Powers. Some groups of characters have zero force users. I don't think we've ever had more than two PCs with force powers played in the same group at the same time.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm giving this a bump because it's a question I've wondered about off and on since the very first time I played Star Wars back in the 80's. Back then, so little was known about Boba Fett, that there wasn't much to go on for background information. Things are quite different now.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That IS my current campaign.

All of the characters are mandalorian. Except one player whose character is currently believed dead. He's filling in by playing a pair of droids.

So...I'd say yes. I allow mandalorian characters in the rise of the empire/rebellion era.

But I will point out that my campaign is based around the mandalorian way of life and is not heroic pulpy Space Opera/ Fantasy. It is gritty underworld based.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I have considered allowing them once or twice, but never really had anyone express interest. If I did, I might consider giving them a watered down version of the Taung for racial maxes, mins, and abilities.

Still this. Laughing
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still on the side that being Mandalorian is a culture, not a race. In the eras I play, Sith is a creed and a Force using tradition, not a race - and Mandalorian is a culture. And Jedi are borderline daft, and full of contradictions.

As such, the background of a character is at best a Story Factor and some gear, and not any particular inherent abilities.

In one particular campaign, I had two semi-bumbling Jedi that were running around and trying to fix things, using their sabers as multitools (as you do). Then, once there was a guest player character, playing a Mandalorian. Built on the same amount of experience points as the bumbling Jedi.

She completely kicked @$$. Fighting some combat droids, by the time the two Jedi had cut down each of their own, she had shot three and was currently kicking the last one's @$$ using brawling - because it was too easy to shoot the combat droids, and she wanted a better challenge.

She outfought, outflew, and outdrank the Jedi boys by far - but she didn't have a lightbaton to twirl.

That drove home the point of Jedi being xp sinks but late-game powerful, while more specialized builds have more dice in the beginning to mid-game, while being late-game less powerful than Jedi and their ilk.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: