The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How did you get your first Dark Side point?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> How did you get your first Dark Side point? Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: How did you get your first Dark Side point? Reply with quote

Reading a number of threads regarding Jedis, their powers, and the use and abuse thereof I started wondering. How did your character get their first Dark Side Point or for you repeat offenders Twisted Evil how did your character get his/her most interesting award of a DSP?

The DSP mechanic is one of the more interesting and controversial game mechanics in D6, but one that provides potential for interesting role playing. So here's my quiz.

[list=]How did you get your DSP?
Did you argue with the GM to avoid the DSP or to get one? Shocked
Did you feel the award was justified?
What did your character learn, if anything?
If you have atoned, how did you atone and what did you learn from it?
Given similar circumstances, would your character act in a similar way again (and get another DSP)?[/list]

Last edited by Bren on Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First dsp i can remember a PC of mine getting was self deserved as i called ON the dark side (ran out of both CP and FP). we were fighting iirc dinosaur like animals (so surrender was not an option) and with 2 pcs down and out, 3 injured (and bleeding), and myself + 1 other still in the fight, i had to do something drastic to save our butts.

So i called on the Darkside while the other pc used his last FP, then called shotted the big one in the jaw (broke it).. then i used the last 2 actions i had, to snap the leg of 2 others.......
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current character started as a failed jedi, so I got my dsp from the start. Im simply trying to be as mercyful as I can possibly be.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only character I've ever had get a dark side point is one in one of the Play by Post games on this board. He is an Esoomian outcast who was cast out of his tribe and then picked up by slavers. He made his living as a bodyguard for a thug until one of the PCs came put a stop to the operation and sliced off his arm in the process.

After spending some time in prision he was parroled to act as a bodyguard for a being of importance during the Vong invasion. In order to be effective in combat his missing arm was replaced by a customized Control Zone Repulse-Hand. which he became quite psycologically dependant on.

In the last combat he was surrounded by four vong warriors one of whom managed to make a called shot to his cybernetic which broke it. In response he called on the dark side and crushed all four of the Vong. He went from zero dark side points to three in a single round.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice to see some folks replying. I may have been a bit unclear in my original post. I meant your character's first DSP. Not necessarily you the player's first DSP. Wink

My first DSP was for my Brash Pilot Jedi wannabe, surprisingly named, Bren. He was part of a group sent to retrieve the X-Wing design plans from Incom. His team includes his trusty R2 unit, a Coynite warrior, and a soon-to-be-dependent NPC that my character was very attracted to. She’s a biker chick whose parents are part of the Incom design team). The group manages to download the plans and delete the original data, but before they can leave they are caught by an ISB Agent and his flunkies.

The ISB agent grabs the gal and threatens her to get the others to disarm. Which takes some doing; especially getting the Coynite to give up his Sat’Skar. Fortunately Bren is able to use the fact that the Coynite has sworn Tracc’Sorr to him to order the Coynite to give up his weapon. The Coynite’s comment to the guard: “I give this to you at his command. You have not earned it.” Bren manages to trick the guard into accepting the blaster pistol without searching for his concealed lightsaber.

They take us to a detention area where Hawkins, the ISB agent, threatens Murlyn, my character’s girl friend, with the Coynite’s captured D’Skar (a Coynite dagger). It is unclear if Hawkins is really trying to get information or if he is just a sadist. He uses the D’Skar to slice off the top three clasps on Murlyn’s blouse and he scratches her jaw on the right side of her face drawing blood. At this point both Bren and the Coynite are starting to snarl and step forward. Hawkins isn’t scared but he is frustrated by his inability to feel in control of the situation. His prisoners are just not sufficiently intimidated. Hawkins notices the locket that Murlyn is wearing (which is very significant to her). He uses the dagger point to toy with it. Murlyn tenses. ‘At last’, Hawkins thinks and cuts away the locket, sending it into a slow motion fall to the floor.

Mur elbows Hawkins in retaliation and he stabs her. My character uses a Force Point to haste, draw, activate lightsaber combat, and swing, on Hawkins before the ISB agent can hurt Murlyn further. Bren slices off Hawkins hand and, in a rage, slices down through Hawkin’s left collarbone, through his heart and severs the trunk into two pieces.* He then ends by blocking a guard’s shot behind him and then spinning around and killing that guard. The Coynite also uses a Force Point that round. He charges the other guards armed with rifles. They get shots off, but the sickening sound of cracking skulls can be heard.

* Killing Hawkins will end up costing Bren a Dark Side Point. He used a FP to strike in anger to intentionally kill a disarmed (more or less) opponent and he is glad that Hawkins is dead. Evil or Very Mad

We recovered the X-Wing plans and prototypes so the mission was a success, but the cost was high. Murlyn’s father was killed by an ISB traitor planted in the Incom team. Getting rid of the DSP took considerably longer.
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A well earned dsp indeed. I have never managed to get rid of a single dsp with any character of mine. But to be fair the character imcurrently playing is the only one ive really worked hard on.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gharkal and Esoomian - was there much role playing involved in calling on the Dark Side? That's the part of DSPs that I find interesting. Twisted Evil

Did you have a sense whether the characters were acting more from fear or from anger? (We play the consequences and atonement a bit different for each.)

Random Numbers wrote:
Quote:
A well earned dsp indeed. I have never managed to get rid of a single dsp with any character of mine. But to be fair the character imcurrently playing is the only one ive really worked hard on.

Most definitely well earned. Both me and my character were feeling a bit cranky after that scenario. When we got back to base, my character nearly pounded an annoying fellow Rebels head through the deck and turned scary intimidation on my own drill sergeant. Evil or Very Mad Other Rebels quickly got the notion that my character was having some emotional issues. Laughing That needed resolving.

Random Numbers, did you include the reason for acquiring the DSP for in your failed Jedi's history. It is crucial to know why he/she acquired a DSP. So that you can figure out what you can do to atone for it.

Typically we group into three main categories (I think this was in the ver2 rules):

Fear - which includes things like failing to protect others or to take right action. Some Force using hermits who avoid the challenges of the world fall into this category. I believe this gave a +1D bonus to Force powers per DSP.

Anger - which includes using the Force to damage another being. Anakin/Vader and many of the Skywalkers seem prone to this one. I believe this gave a larger +2D bonus per DSP.

Embracing the Dark Side (or something like that) - intentionally asking the Dark Side for a Dark Side point. Palpatine probably falls in this category. I forget what the bonus was here. I think this is likely the hardest one to atone for.

Once you have a good handle on how your Jedi got the DSP then work with the GM on what you do to atone. Ideally this should culminate in a journey (in the mythic sense) that allows your Jedi to atone for what he/she did and understand and repair the damage that caused himmer to get the DSP in the first place. At the end of this, if all goes well, you should have a stronger (in the moral sense) Jedi...or you die...or you go even further down that Dark Path towards your destiny. Twisted Evil
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Gharkal and Esoomian - was there much role playing involved in calling on the Dark Side? That's the part of DSPs that I find interesting. Twisted Evil

Well it was actually on this board so I can just repost it.

Esoomian wrote:
Sparks from Tiny's twitching, useless cybernetic sizzle and burn against his skin. The grotesque, leering faces of his Vong opponents fill his vision and though The Hammer provides no sensory feedback his stump burns with the phantom pain he carried for months after his arm was forcibly removed.

Tiny's mind reels as the walls he built to insulate him from the nightmare that was his past collapses, without The Hammer which proved he was an adult and gave him leave to exist despite his many tormentor's claims what was he?

A choking tide of fear rises within him. His consciousness retreats through the maelstrom or self loathing and doubt seeking to insulate itself from his ultimate failure, a failure which will surely end in a the gruesome death promised to him so long ago. His psyche shattered Tiny's animal instincts take over. Rage and desperation fill him as he harnesses his fear, forging it into a weapon. With no thought greater than ensuring his continued survival Tiny lashes out at the Vong, his single fist the focussing all his turmoil into strikes against the Vong and the demons from his past.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian - I like the way you tied his motivation to his outcast upbringing. 8) Fear leads to Anger leads to the Dark Side. Well done!

Since he successfully called on the Dark Side and got 3 DSPs from a single set of actions, I assume he was Force Sensitive.

Did Tiny survive? Did he atone? If not, how does the DSP influence his personality and behavior?

In other words, please tell me more or point to where the answers lie if it is already on the board somewhere. Smile
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we included it in my background story. I rolled everything from sex and age to disadvantages completely random and using my powers for selfish reasons fit the best. My character is as far from the standard padawn as the come. My gm deemed that the only reason for my Jedi master to take me on was the natural affinity for the force and the desperate situation after order 66 or whatever it was called. And after my master was killed I fell even father from the Jedi way. Untill I met up with the rebellion.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiny was not initially force sensitive but he spent twenty character points in that round to become force sensitive as he called on the Dark Side.

He got +1 Dark Side point for becoming Force Sensitive in a fit of rage/fear and then +1 Dark Side point for having a cybernetic and calling on the Dark Side giving him a total of three Darkside points in that one round.

Tiny has not yet atoned for drawing on the Dark Side and may not be able to as there is a house rule in use stating that a player wishing to atone has to fast as well as abiding by the normal rules. As an Esoomian Tiny is ill suited to fasting and would probably starve to death before he manages to atone for a single point.

I've always viewed Dark Side points as a lodestone on a character's moral compass. Tiny will be less likely to think of a non-violent solution to his problems but so far it hasn't really come up as there has not been much 'game time' since the event.

Reading a Play by Post game can be a little difficult but this is the game Tiny is in. http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=20

This is the page where Tiny called on the Dark Side http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1857&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=2550

My personal highlight for this game would be when Tiny attempted to cook.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:

Did you have a sense whether the characters were acting more from fear or from anger? (We play the consequences and atonement a bit different for each.):

Yes. I have even had a character who slipped to the darkside.. Got tired of losing his comrades to this one moff, and his goons (a lot more than just regular veteran level troops).. so during one fight with 20 of them, he let his anger steam fourth, and called on the dark side 4 times, to cut them all down in as 'grizzly a fashion as possible'.. When he turned, he commed the rebel agents he worked with to thank them for their friendship, but he could no longer abide by their weakness in doing what had to be done to stop the baddies.... and left.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
Quote:
Tiny has not yet atoned for drawing on the Dark Side and may not be able to as there is a house rule in use stating that a player wishing to atone has to fast as well as abiding by the normal rules. As an Esoomian Tiny is ill suited to fasting and would probably starve to death before he manages to atone for a single point.

The rigid rule on fasting seems a bit...restrictive. To me that is just part of focusing on the inner world and the light side of the Force rather than on the physical world. There are other ways to do that. When I was GMing for a Failed Jedi, I believe she spent a lot of time gardening while atoning. Her master really liked gardening and used gardening metaphors a lot.
Since the player actually gardens it worked well as a metaphor for her and for the character.

Haven't checked out your links yet, thanks for sharing though. It seems like to really atone, Tiny would need to achieve some balance regarding his abusive past and its influence on his current actions.

BTW was the Padawan that cut off Tiny's arm the Wookiee Jedi that was running with him in one of the adventures I saw?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Quote:
Yes. I have even had a character who slipped to the darkside..

That wasn't a slip that was a full on force leap. Wink

Frustration with loss and weakness always seems like a good motivation for turning to the Dark Side. That character would make a good vigilante or leader of a no-holds barred, take no prisoners group of Rebels. The sort of folks who viciously execute collaborators and quislings and want to bring the war to the Core Worlds via random bombing of civilians targets. Soon their former friends will end up having to disavow their behavior or even hunt them down. Twisted Evil
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:

The rigid rule on fasting seems a bit...restrictive. To me that is just part of focusing on the inner world and the light side of the Force rather than on the physical world. There are other ways to do that.

To be fair Tiny hasn't even tried to atone yet, he isn't even really sure what happened. He'll need the help of the Jedi characters to understand what is going on before he can even try to want to atone and everyone has been pretty busy preparing for an invasion.

Bren wrote:
BTW was the Padawan that cut off Tiny's arm the Wookiee Jedi that was running with him in one of the adventures I saw?

Yes, the Wookiee has a couple of DSPs too so he should really understand where Tiny is coming from.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: