The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How much unofficial D6 material is allowed in your games?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> How much unofficial D6 material is allowed in your games? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son of Fire wrote:

The thing with new material is that there is no way for it to ever be official, so we are left with a conundrum. Do we include it, or not?
Now some of the stuff I have seen is pretty cool and I would really like to incorporate them into my games. I mean, twin sabres and blasters are cool, and now they are canon to boot. But I can’t say that I advocate the “GM can do whatever he wants” attitude, to me the GM and the players are all gaming together, so being dictatorial to the players is a bit counter productive. The GM plays with the players, not at them.
So in our games we usually all talk out what we want and come to a mutual agreement on how to handle…whatever it is we are considering including, like say…cortosis. Considering every member of my group GM’s at various times we all understand how to be fair about it, and a mutual accord can usually be reached in a short amount of time.

That may be good for a group that everyone is a GM at some point. But groups that have only one or two, it really leaves it up to the campaign and game master to make a choice on the cheapness scale. One example of a plauseable idea from TPM was that R2D2 has magnetic holds that allows him to roll onto a ship even when it's moving at it's fastest speed. This is not included in any stats in the books, but it makes sense, isn't cheap, so it's included. From AOTC we later learn that R2D2 has rocket/jetpack that seems to have a lot of fuel for him to fly around for a while. Again it makes sense for it to have that, but unlimited supply is an issue, since in space it wouldn't need a whole lot. Thus it could be incorperated with limitations, or not at all.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Everyone agrees' or 'the director decides' are both reasonable approaches depending on the group and the director. There's no way one approach is going to work for everybody. As long as everyone has fun.

For my part, I have always encouraged imagination so the players feel free to float their own ideas into the campaign, but I decide what the limitations are. All super-things have a flaw, the player's gizmo is not quite what he first wrote up - but it's close, he gets what he wants - but somebody else wants it too... This way I maintain game balance. I usually require an adventure to aquire this new gizmo as well (any excuse for a game).

As to what to allow: if it's in the movies it's canon. Anything else is a rumour. It may or may not be true in my campaign.

Now if the players want to find out for themselves, they'll have to travel to that far away planet, but as everyone knows, the holovid says there is an outbreak of pirate acivity...
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son of Fire wrote:
underwater Lightsabres and Blasters…stuff like that.

I don't know about the underwater blasters thing, but with the lightsabers are you refering to Obi-Wan's lightsaber supposed to have shorted out in TPM or Kit Fisto having his activated in the Clone Wars cartoon. Because both are correct. Even before TPM, Luke had succesfully used his lightsaber underwater in Splinter of the Mind's Eye, and when TPM came out and had Obi-Wan's short out in the novelization (which got deleted from the movie), one of the TPM books, either the visual dictionary or the pocket guide to Episode I or both, explained that there was something Jedi could do to there lightsabers that would prevent them from shorting out when active underwater, though it wasn't all that common before TPM and only became more common after.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: