The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Player stats for the Vulture Droids
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Player stats for the Vulture Droids Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Player stats for the Vulture Droids Reply with quote

I'm looking at running a Vulture droid in a friend's game and I wanted to know what people think their stats should be. I've got a backstory for the droid being purchased before the Clone wars and factory fitted with an independent brain and used as a guardian droid for a rather active young adult noble. It's more in depth then that but I'm still finalizing details and weaving backstories together with other players.

I was thinking something like this:

DEXTERITY 1D
Dodge 4D+1
Running 4D+1
Brawling Parry 4D+1

KNOWLEDGE 2D

MECHANICAL 1D
Starfighter piloting 4D+1
Starfighter gunnery 4D+1
Starfighter Shields 4D+1
Communications 4D+1
Repulsorlift 4D+1
Sensors 4D+1

PERCEPTION 1D
Search 4D+1

STRENGTH 4D
Brawling 4D+1

TECHNICAL 1D

I took 2D in Knowledge to reflect the fact that the droid has a separate brain and is now sentient and autonomous. All the 4D+1 skills come from Gry's starship stats book. I considered just making the Mechanical attribute 4D+1 but the droid really wouldn't have skills like beastriding and astrogation (no hyperdrive). The strength comes from the hull code, though I considered 2D strength and 2D armor. 4D strength at Starfighter scale would be 10D character scale damage.

I don't know if the GM will want to restrict me to the 35 minutes of flight time mentioned in Wookieepedia from the combustible solid-state fuel system. Personally I think that's a pretty silly idea. 35 minutes of flight time would drastically restrict a star fighter's range and eliminate their ability to do patrols or fly under their own power to a mission point.

What do you guys think?
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the converted stats in Gry's Starships book (yeah, they're statted as starfighters, not characters)

Craft: Xi Char Variable Geometry Self-Propelled Battle Droid, Mk. 1
Affiliation: Trade Federation / Separatists
Era: Old Republic
Source: Secrets of Naboo (page 8), d20 Rulebook (page 229)
Type: Autonomous starfighter
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 3.5 meters
Skill: Starfighter piloting
Crew: 0 (droid brain)
Crew Skill: All skills 4D+1
Cargo Capacity: None
Consumables: None
Cost: 19,000 (new), 5000 (used)
Maneuverability: 3D
Space: 10
Atmosphere: 415; 1,200 kmh
Hull: 4D
Sensors: Passive: 20/0D Scan: 40/1D Search: 60/2D Focus: 3/3D
Weapons:
2 Blaster Cannons (fire-linked)
Fire Arc: Front
Skill: Starship gunnery
Fire Control: 0D
Space Range: 1-5/10/17 Atmosphere Range: 100-500/1/1.7 km
Damage: 5D

2 Energy Torpedo Launchers (4 torpedoes each)
Fire Arc: Front
Skill: Starship gunnery
Space Range: 1/3/7 Atmosphere Range: 30-100/300/700
Damage: 9D

Donate to Ankhanu Press
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big issue i see with a vulture droid beign a PC is that it IS still star fighter scale, so even with it only having a 4d str, that means if it does hit, it is doing 10D damage.. and has 10d to soak all forms of damage other characters can toss at him.. This will mean for the DM to place in a suitable combat chalenge for the party, it will have to be Massive amts of damage, which will be overkill if it hits anyone of the other pcs..
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the feeling Kytoss is thinking of a Vulture droid as a 'pilot droid' that pilots the Vulture Starfighter instead of a Vulture Droid/Starfighter.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Quote:
I have the feeling Kytoss is thinking of a Vulture droid as a 'pilot droid' that pilots the Vulture Starfighter instead of a Vulture Droid/Starfighter.

That seems contradicted by:

Kytross wrote:
Quote:
The strength comes from the hull code, though I considered 2D strength and 2D armor. 4D strength at Starfighter scale would be 10D character scale damage.

But assuming you are right, I've tried a slightly different version assuming this is some type of droid pilot who is supposed to be tough enough to take on limited bodyguard duties when out of the Vulture starfighter.

DEXTERITY 2D
Dodge 4D
Running 4D
Brawling Parry 4D

KNOWLEDGE 1D

MECHANICAL 3D+1
Starfighter gunnery 4D+1
Starfighter Shields (they don’t have shields)
Communications 4D+1
Repulsorlift (don’t need this for the “starfighter”)
Sensors 4D+1

PERCEPTION 2D
Search (nope that’s sensors)

STRENGTH 4D
Brawling (you don’t brawl in a starfighter)

TECHNICAL 1D+2
Starfighter repair (s) Vulture droid 4D+2

14D stats, 11D skills = the 25D total for starting droids given in WEG RAE p 236.

Regarding the 35 minutes flight time. I agree that seems limiting for patrolling. I'd be inclined to do one of the following:
(1) Increase wing size to allow for larger "fuel" tanks.
(2) Allow for drop tanks to increase range / flight time.
(3) Assume some type of fast refueling via fuel packs that quickly snap in.
(4) Assume the original 35 minutes is a typo and the real time is longer say to 1 day which is 1/2 a TIE's range.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:
Quote:

That seems contradicted by:

Kytross wrote:
Quote:
The strength comes from the hull code, though I considered 2D strength and 2D armor. 4D strength at Starfighter scale would be 10D character scale damage.

But assuming you are right, I've tried a slightly different version assuming this is some type of droid pilot who is supposed to be tough enough to take on limited bodyguard duties when out of the Vulture starfighter.

DEXTERITY 2D
Dodge 4D
Running 4D
Brawling Parry 4D

KNOWLEDGE 1D

MECHANICAL 3D+1
Starfighter gunnery 4D+1
Starfighter Shields (they don’t have shields)
Communications 4D+1
Repulsorlift (don’t need this for the “starfighter”)
Sensors 4D+1

PERCEPTION 2D
Search (nope that’s sensors)

STRENGTH 4D
Brawling (you don’t brawl in a starfighter)

TECHNICAL 1D+2
Starfighter repair (s) Vulture droid 4D+2

14D stats, 11D skills = the 25D total for starting droids given in WEG RAE p 236.

Regarding the 35 minutes flight time. I agree that seems limiting for patrolling. I'd be inclined to do one of the following:
(1) Increase wing size to allow for larger "fuel" tanks.
(2) Allow for drop tanks to increase range / flight time.
(3) Assume some type of fast refueling via fuel packs that quickly snap in.
(4) Assume the original 35 minutes is a typo and the real time is longer say to 1 day which is 1/2 a TIE's range.

Then Im very much confused about the 4D Dodge skill and also the Brawling skill..
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:

I recall reading a book within the past year that actually used the droid starfighter's limited range as a tactical point in combatting them; they managed to jam the signal to return to the control ship and simply played hit and run, waiting until their power ran down and zoomed in past the now useless fighters.

Cheap, effective swarm fighters, but limited application.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I cannot see why a controler droid for a droid fighter would even have brawl, let alone 4d. And since they are in a nice armored fighter, why would they need that high a strength?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Quote:
Agreed. I cannot see why a controler droid for a droid fighter would even have brawl, let alone 4d. And since they are in a nice armored fighter, why would they need that high a strength?

I presumed the reason for the Brawling, Running, STR etc. was to satisfy the guardian of active young noble requirement. I was trying to come up with something to satisfy Kytross's request (see below) while avoiding having a full-size starfighter-scale literally running around. Wink

Kytross originally posted:
Quote:
I'm looking at running a Vulture droid in a friend's game and I wanted to know what people think their stats should be. I've got a backstory for the droid being purchased before the Clone wars and factory fitted with an independent brain and used as a guardian droid for a rather active young adult noble.

I think it is problematic either way. I don't really see the need to invent a new droid or to link the skills to the Vulture Droid 4D+1. If I was the GM and the player really wanted the look of the Vulture Droid when flying around, I would require the pilot body to be fairly small and probably not STR 4D tough. Maybe a Protocl or ASP droid body with some add on skills appropriate for a guardian. I suppose if I was feeling really generous I would give him magnadroid body fitting into the Vulture droid like pilot into a Gundam suit.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this is before the clone wars, i do not really see the trade federation selling on on the free market, let alone one with an independent mind.
Also, with nobles, how are you going to keep his power down if he has access to the sort of funding that would let someone do this?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easily, you take away his wealth, and authority the first session.

-=Story hook!=-
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"IN the name of (insert royalty), you have been found guilty of X, and have been exiled for a period of 10 years.. All assets except those currently on your person, have been reposessed"
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, it's been a busy week at work. ANd I get to work through the hurricane tonight, yea!

Ok, a few answers. Vulture droids transform and walk around. They'd use dodge and brawling in this form.

Regarding 4D starfighter strength verses character level scale opponents, well, character scale opponents would get a +6D bonus to dodge. As a vulture droid I'd have a hard time hitting anything that wasn't at least speeder scale.

The trade federation sold all their models of battle droids before the clone wars. Droids can be modified with their own brains, they just cost more per unit. It was noted that droidekas in particular were often modified with a brain to operate independently. If you're looking for a bodyguard unit, you want it to be independent.

My GM took one look at the limited range and said, "That's stupid." He went on a bit of a rant after that. I got to hear about it for awhile. Sometimes you just have to preach to the choir.

His big concern was the scale issue especially in regards to giving us balanced encounters. If my vulture is going to participate it will throw off the group quite a bit. And he doesn't want me to be useless.

He wants me to look into playing a shard.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shard

I'm tempted to make it an iron knight.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Iron_Knight

ANyway, I'll start up a new thread to chat about it.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do Vulture droids 'walk around' really? Ive just seen them move around a bit in the hangar bays. Seems like they can at least. Why would you like to play a 3,5m walking starfighter?
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they're built to assist other troops on the ground.

Why wouldn't you want to play a 3.5m walking Starfighter? It would be awesome!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: