The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New Character
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> New Character Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mythiis
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: New Character Reply with quote

So I love the TV show White Collar, so I made a character near to the character Neal Caffrey. To sum him up, take away the tech and mech skills of Han Solo and you got this guy.

Keep in mind the GM I play with let us start with 27 pips instead of 18 to start and since this character is coming into the campaign after 17 sessions, he told me he gets half the earned CP to spend. So 27 starting pips and skills in parenthesis are the spent character points.

Sylvester LaRuse
Male Human Con Man
5'11" 180lbs

Dexterity - 4D
Blaster - 4D+1 (4D+2)
Dodge - 4D+1 (4D+2)
Grenade/Throw - 4D+1 (4D+2)
Melee - 4D+1 (4D+2)
Pick Pocket - 4D+1 (4D+2)

Perception - 4D
Bargain - 4D+1 (5D)
Con - 4D+2 (5D+2)
Forgery - 4D+1 (5D)
Gambling - 5D (6D)
Hide - (4D+1)
Lockpicking - (4D+2)
Persuasion - 4D+1 (5D)
Search - 4D+1 (5D)
Sneak - 4D+1 (5D)

Strength - 2D+2
Brawling - 3D
Climb/Jump - 3D

Knowledge - 3D+1
Intimidate - 3D+2
Languages - 3D+2
Streetwise - 3D+2
Value - 4D
Willpower - 3D+2

Mechanical - 2D
Starship Guns - 2D+2 (3D)
Starship Shields - 2D+2 (3D)

Technical - 2D

Backstory:
Sylvester was born on Tatooine to parents who were cantina owners in Mos Eisley Spaceport. He learned all the tricks of the streets from the different characters and spacers who stopped by the cantina. He became a suave con man over the years. Of course this would piss off the men who didn't have any game and became a target to them. From some unseen force, he was able to see the attacks coming and was able to defend himself and keep himself alive. He picked up Sabacc pretty quickly and began playing for money, winning thousands of credits each game, only losing one game in which a YT-1300 was up for grabs, the pot was too rich for his blood. He had one game though that would ultimately change his life. He was playing a crime lord who didn't like to lose. He beat him, nabbing 20,000 credits. This crime boss tried to kill him but Sylvester narrowly escaped and managed to hide from him. He later found out his parents cantina was in ruins and his parents were dead. Enraged, he went looking for this crime lord and got wind he set up shop in Elrood sector. Keeping some coin in his pocket, he bought some gear and headed for Elrood Sector.

Personality:
He is a smooth talking, lady killing, jack of most trades. He can talk his way through almost every situation, but when that fails, his blaster can fix that. He is not a really technically or mechanically minded person, and is limited to doing the simplest tasks on a starship.

Goals:
Avenge your parents deaths and make something of yourself, and making some money along the way couldn't hurt.

Quote:
"Are you Sylvester LaRuse?"
"Does he owe you money?"
"No... he doesn't."
"Then I am him."

Equipment:
Heavy Blaster Pistol (5D)
Bladed Sabacc Cards (STR+1D)
Blast Vest (+1D Physical, +1 Energy)
Sabacc Cards
Lockpicking set
1,000 credits
Fancy Clothes

Move: 10
Force Sensitive: Yes
Force Points: 2
Darkside Points: 0
Character Points: 0
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockpicking is not a skill under Perception. The skill you are looking for is Security, under Technical. Starship Guns is "Starship Gunnery" just a nitpick there. Otherwise, everything looks good.

I was wondering where you got the idea from.

Kind regards,
Your GM Very Happy
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, grenade is a seperate skill from thrown weapons.

Quote:
Keep in mind the GM I play with let us start with 27 pips instead of 18 to start and since this character is coming into the campaign after 17 sessions, he told me he gets half the earned CP to spend. So 27 starting pips and skills in parenthesis are the spent character points.

Also, i don't know what your gm is thinking but starting PCs have 18D for their attributes and 7D (21 pips) for skills.
For Cp.. you have spent 105cp... so you are saying your group has earned 210xp over 17 sessions? That equates to 12.35cp a session.. being the book goes over 6 poss points per session normal +/- 3 for rp, that is rather high.
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ruled that Grenade is a specialization under Throwing.

As for the math...
Since there were only 3 PCs in the group, I granted 2D extra skill at creation.
So, it should be 18D in Attributes and 9D (27pips) worth of starting skills.

Over the course of 17 game sessions they have earned 52 CPs (not counting the starting 5). Just over 3 CPs per game session.

Seeing that he wants to switch his character mid-stream, I'm allowing him to retain half of his earned CPs towards his new character. (26 CPs)

Way too many CPs spent on the sheet, bud.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO it is easier to throw a grenade than anything else?>? Makes no sense.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
For Cp.. you have spent 105cp... so you are saying your group has earned 210xp over 17 sessions? That equates to 12.35cp a session.. being the book goes over 6 poss points per session normal +/- 3 for rp, that is rather high.

To each their own I guess....no right or wrong here really.
Lancil
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yep. With a grenade you only have to get close. When you throw you have to hit the target for any effect.
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lancil wrote:
Quote:

Yep. With a grenade you only have to get close. When you throw you have to hit the target for any effect.

And it's a similar throwing motion for every object... the differences are handled via specialization.

Throwing: Baseball
Throwing: Grenade
Throwing: Dart
Throwing: Javelin
Throwing: Shot Put
Throwing: Rock
Throwing: Cricket Ball
Praxian
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lancil wrote:
Quote:

Kind of right. In this case, grenades are actually pretty easy to throw, they don't weigh a lot, and they're made to where you don't have to hit the target for them to be effective. 1 or 2 hexes near the target works Just Fine!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
garhkal wrote:

How can you say that, when RAW puts earned CP for a session at 4 ave, 6 on the high end, and by what he has, it is over double that.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:
garhkal wrote:

How can you say that, when RAW puts earned CP for a session at 4 ave, 6 on the high end, and by what he has, it is over double that.

How what? What are you talking about?

Perhaps his GM wants the characters to progress faster. Perhaps he plays a mean game and need the characters to have a pool of CPs to draw from to survive. Perhaps they havent read the RAW 'rule' about how many CPs you are allowed to give the characters... Whatever, its still up to each GM to taylor his own game. Also, what relevance does the amount of CPs per session have under this topic?
Lancil
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Kind of right. In this case, grenades are actually pretty easy to throw

My only problem with this statement is...have you ever thrown a grenade? I have, and they are heavy. Laughing
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lancil wrote:
Quote:
Kind of right. In this case, grenades are actually pretty easy to throw

My only problem with this statement is...have you ever thrown a grenade? I have, and they are heavy. Laughing

I have thrown (Swedish) hand grenades, and they are not heavy. The newest is about half the weight of the M67, but the older verison was about the same weight so I can compare.

Info about the M67
About the M67 Fragmentation Grenade: •Body - steel sphere with scored steel spring for fragmentation
•Filler - 6.5 ounces of Composition B.
•Fuse - M213.
•Weight - 14 ounces. (about 0,4 kilo)
•Safety clip - yes.
•Capabilities – The average Soldier can throw the M67 grenade 35 meters. The effective casualty producing radius is 15 meters and killing radius is 5 meters.
•Color/markings – The M67 grenade has an olive drab body with a single yellow band at the top. Markings are in yellow
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
garhkal wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:
garhkal wrote:

How what? What are you talking about?

Perhaps his GM wants the characters to progress faster. Perhaps he plays a mean game and need the characters to have a pool of CPs to draw from to survive. Perhaps they havent read the RAW 'rule' about how many CPs you are allowed to give the characters... Whatever, its still up to each GM to taylor his own game. Also, what relevance does the amount of CPs per session have under this topic?

If either of you actually bothered to read my reply, you would see that I clarified how many CPs I granted.

Quote:
Over the course of 17 game sessions they have earned 52 CPs (not counting the starting 5). Just over 3 CPs per game session.

His math is wrong, he's new to the game and is thinking that Pip expenditure at character creation and CP expenditure for character advancement is the same.

If you recount, he spent 27 Pips at start and then spend 26 "Pips" (CPs) for advancement... which is, of course, incorrect.
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
I have thrown (Swedish) hand grenades, and they are not heavy. The newest is about half the weight of the M67, but the older verison was about the same weight so I can compare.

Info about the M67
About the M67 Fragmentation Grenade: •Body - steel sphere with scored steel spring for fragmentation
•Filler - 6.5 ounces of Composition B.
•Fuse - M213.
•Weight - 14 ounces. (about 0,4 kilo)
•Safety clip - yes.
•Capabilities – The average Soldier can throw the M67 grenade 35 meters. The effective casualty producing radius is 15 meters and killing radius is 5 meters.
•Color/markings – The M67 grenade has an olive drab body with a single yellow band at the top. Markings are in yellow

My reasoning is that the basic arm motion of throwing any object is roughly the same. If not, you would have separate skills for each object you wish to throw. Grenade, Football, Baseball, Dart, Rock, etc. (Note: I said ROUGHLY equivalent.)

It makes more sense to have a generalized Throwing skill and then treat each type of object thrown as a specialization. This makes sense in practice, too.

An American Football quarterback probably has Throwing 5D and Throwing: Football 9D.

Nigel down at the pub probably has Throwing 4D and Throwing: Darts 6D

After a bit of practice, a soldier has Throwing 5D and Throwing: Grenade 7D. The area of effect and "just getting it close enough" is handled by the blast radius mechanic and cascading damage codes, not the accuracy of the throw.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: