The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Starship Factory Upgrades
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Starship Factory Upgrades Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd be surprised. My group just landed most of a freighter after getting hit with anti-starfighter turbolaser flak. It's missing a few parts, has a few extra holes, and, because it wasn't secured properly, almost lost their cargo when the rear cargo ramp was ripped off.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm giving this a quick bump because I'd like to compile a list of possible luxury accomodations for consideration when upgrading a ship or designing a yacht. Ideally, I'd like the base units to be kept relatively small (say, about 5x5 meters), with the option of stringing them together to create a larger version. For instance, a room with a whirl-jet pool / hot tub might take up one space, but one could block four of them together to make a larger pool.

A few ideas I already have...
    Game Room, set up with a Sabacc Table, Spheroids projector, dejarik, etc.
    Holo-Theater with comfortable chairs, a Holoprojector w/ full audio and an entertainment database
    Library, with a mix of e-book chips and genuine printed books.
    Lounge, as a combination of the above, with some small games, a bar and an entertainment system
    Sun Room / Conservatory with natural plants
    Whirl-Jet Pool
    Sensory Deprivation Chamber
    Gymnasium

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shockball arena.

Areas with (separate) variable gravity, up to and including microgravity / zero-Gee - perhaps for Null-G Polo.

Chin-bret arena. Repulsor puck arena. Nuna-ball arena. Ubardian oil-wrestling arena.

Last edited by Zarn on Thu May 02, 2019 4:37 am; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
Shockball arena.

Areas with (separate) variable gravity, up to and including microgravity / zero-Gee - perhaps for Null-G Polo.

Chin-bret arena. Repulsor puck arena. Nuna-ball arena. Ubardian oil-wrestling arena.

How much area do you see those taking up? A light-g or zero-g relaxation chamber could be sized down pretty well, but any sport court would likely take up a pretty good chunk of space.

Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what rules one has and what the game is. Perhaps there's games with specially adapted droids, like when Luke worked on his lightsaber skills against the Marksman-H training remote.

Last edited by Zarn on Thu May 02, 2019 4:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holo Golf (pretty sure Wookieepedia used to call it 'greenputting').

Repulsor tracks (like go carts, probably only on larger ships).

Hover gliding (VR simulation in which repulsor fields suspend the glider as it "flies").

Starfighter simulators - recreate famous battles!
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many hours on board makes my default ship layout be the Ebon Hawk, so...

*Local Ground Transport, possibly with a garage for same (KOTOR Ebon Hawk had you haul your swoop around)
*Medbay with smart systems (i.e. imbedded droid intelligence)
*Laboratory (might be standard on some scout ships, but the ability to analyze samples and synthesize things from basic components would be useful)
*Enhanced Crew Quarters (The Ebon Hawk has 2 dormitory-style sections; changing out one of them for a proper Captain's Cabin might be an option)
*Droid-controlled defenses (if you don't have a big crew, being able to switch on your droid cannons will help)
*Crew space converted to Cargo (with a small crew, you might not need the second crew dorm; fill it up with more cargo!)
*Cargo space converted to passenger space; turn your cargo ship into a passenger shuttle or APC.
*Concealed navicomputer (rather than stick it in a droid, or have it permanently engaged, have some sort of external interlock to connect the navicomputer with ship's guidance; finding it involves taking apart the section where it is hidden)
*Additional anti-personell weapons (to go with the APC role you might press your cargo ship into).
*Rapid deployment cargo hold (i.e. the ability to airdrop cargo without or with minimal stopping)
*Redundant systems (get fried in an ion blast? Switch to your backup control system)
*Specialized crew spaces (i.e. alternate atmosphere, but also "Nursery for the kids")
*Training sims with control lock-out (so you can go down to the weapons, or even the ship's controls, and run through mock scenarios on the actual controls; maybe with a built-in trainer system)
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Internal defense systems (pop-out blasters. Stun grenades. Gas vents)
*Dedicated Droid repair bay
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
*Internal defense systems (pop-out blasters. Stun grenades. Gas vents)
*Dedicated Droid repair bay

-Durable (alarmed) display case for valuable trophies and treasures.

-Droid-armed dressing station. Step in and let the arms put on or take off your outfit for you; retrieves and stores the clothing.

-Holographic full body 'mirror'; it takes a 3D image of you that you can rotate to inspect from any angle.

-Droid-armed tattoo seat; for body art; permanent and bio-based ink that fades.

-Full suite hi-end stereo system for music throughout the ship. (You know, for when you can hear a ship thumping when it flies by...even over the sound of its engines.)

-Luxury upholstery; select from rare wood paneling, fashionable minerals like marble or obsidian, exotic animal leather and furs for seating etc.

-Large viewports; like large sections of the hull are transparent for sight seeing.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
Depends on what rules one has and what the game is.

I'm mostly trying to picture the smaller sorts of rooms that might be fitted into a Starfighter-Scale yacht. I could see an empty cargo bay being used as a sport-court of some kind, but luxury space on character-owned ships is going to come at a price, and would best be as multi-purpose as possible.

Some of the smaller stuff you suggested could be folded into a more general lounge, with a table sport game like Null-G table hockey as one of the options.

Quote:
Perhaps there's games with specially adapted droids, like when Luke worked on his lightsaber skills against the Marksman-H training remote.

That didn't really seem to require a separate room, just a droid and a space to use it. I could definitely see that as part of a more generalized gym or practice room, though...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Holo Golf (pretty sure Wookieepedia used to call it 'greenputting').

Hover gliding (VR simulation in which repulsor fields suspend the glider as it "flies").

Maybe as part of a multi-purpose lounge area, or as one of the options on a gym, but a dedicated holo-golf or hover gliding room on a Starfighter-scale ship seems a bit too specialized...

Quote:
Repulsor tracks (like go carts, probably only on larger ships).

Starfighter simulators - recreate famous battles!

Or perhaps just simulator pod, ala the simulators used in the X-Wing novels...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
So many hours on board makes my default ship layout be the Ebon Hawk, so...

There's a lot of really cool ideas in there, but none of them really count as luxury spaces, more like ship systems, or onboard repair bay options.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
-Droid-armed tattoo seat; for body art; permanent and bio-based ink that fades.

I really like all your suggestions, but they all seem like features that would be built into larger rooms rather than having a dedicated room just for that purpose on a volume-limited ship like a Starfighter-scale yacht. The Droid-armed tattoo seat, for example, could just as easily be built into a more general purpose medical bay, and the stereo system could be built into a lounge or theater.

Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, this thread has degenerated into a fairly typical pattern. CRMcNeill asks for opinions or suggestions on some facet or other of SWEU, a few people chime in with ideas, opinions, and suggestions, and then CRMcNeill proceeds to dismiss most - if not all - of the ideas.

Which is a perfectly fine pattern in and of itself, but which also might explain why there tends to be diminishing responses to those threads, particularly when they're started by the same people. I for one prefer other patterns to these threads.

And to keep this post in this thread somewhat on topic: I think the most useful space would be just ... an open space. Full climate control suite, full 3D audio, hidden holo- and force field projectors, and droids preprogrammed to simulate all sorts of games - not my idea exactly, as it was featured in a time travel novel I once read. A nigh-infinitely configurable space can be used to simulate almost anything else - and is essentially the Holo Deck just tarted up in Star Wars terminology.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, as stated here, I've watched a few yachting videos on YouTube, and it got me thinking about the possibility of an amphibious yacht (Whill, your Mon Cal freighter might tie into this). Since so much of yachting is centered around enjoying water sports and open air, imagine a star-yacht equipped to travel from planet to planet and actually land in the water, then open up portions of its hull so that it can behave like an ocean-going yacht for recreational purposes.

Something like this, but interstellar capable...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: