The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Turbolaser Rate of Fire
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Turbolaser Rate of Fire Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volar the Healer wrote:
None of which answer the question. How fast does a turbolaser fire?

In A New Hope, it appears a turbolaser aboard the death star fires only 2 or 3 times in a minute (I didn't actually time it) assuming this was the same weapon being shown.

In Return of the Jedi, a frigate broadsides a star destroyer, yet we see only a few bolts pass between them. If these weapons could fire 20+ times a minute with 30 (or so) weapons facing the frigate there would have been a hail of fire between these two ship. But there wasn't.

This makes me think considering the game mechanics is the wrong approach. Anyone bored enough to time these scenes? or perhaps another scene I didn't think of? What other scenes of star destroyers firing is there?

According to " Star Wars : The Essential Guide To Weapons And Technology", turbolasers use a delay of at least two seconds between shots to allow the capacitors to build up an adequate shot.

so at best you could fire off 20 shots in a minute. so if a round is 4 to 5 second, you might be able to get 2 shots off in a round if your capacitors are already reloaded.

Thats what the book says, but of course it's not a RPG book just a reference book.

If you can't find anything appropriate to your taste, just make it up to your liking 8) 8)

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the Blaster Gas rule. It's in "The Far Orbit Project".

Turbolasers hold enough Blaster Gas to fire 20 Times for Capital Scale, and 40 Times for Starfighter Scale.

So, I wasn't that far off in my Guesstimation.
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how long would it take them to "Fuel Up" on blaster gas once they have used it all up shooting ? 8)

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. (Note, rules as per "The Far Orbit Project" from my memory, with some addidums from me)

Depends on where the Blaster Gas is stored.

You can have the Canisters in the Gunnery Area, where it'll only take a round to perform the reload if you have a "Gas Monkey" ready (Extra person whose job it is to monitor the Gas Levels and to grab and load the gas, and that's it), or two rounds to reload for one of the regular gunnery crew to go and grab it. This is dangerous as Blaster Gas is Highly Volitile and stored in their containers under great pressure (Think a full Spray Paint can thrown into a camp fire. Note: Don't try this, wouldn't be prudent!).

If the Blaster Gas is stored in a Central Compartment (Standard proceedure on most military vessels) than it can take MINUTES for a reload to come in (A possible explanation as to why the Frigate was only shooting a few shots in "Return", it's guns were dry!). This action is usually performed by Marine ("Navy Troopers") Forces. "The Far Orbit Project" suggests between 3D-6D Rounds for a reload in this instance, depending on the size of the ship.

Some Ships require that the Gunnery Crew request reload when they are down to 5 shots, lowering the time required for the reload to get to them. GM's Discression for that. This is the standard "Non-Book" proceedure on Military Vessels. (Read: Only the most ANAL of Captains enforce the "Only call when you're dry" rule.)

The book goes on to suggest that GMs are to encourage Players to come up with ideas on their own to speed up the process.

Before folks start going in to how this isn't "Star Wars" and so on, I'll point out that alot of what I got here is based on old style Black Powder Cannons on "Wet Navies" of the world. As "Space Opera" is basically retelling of old tales in a Science Fictional manner, this fits perfectly!

Complex? Yes. You can just say that you have a "Blaster Gas Feed" to the Turbolasers from the Main Storage Container and call it a day if you'd like. The rule in "The Far Orbit Project" is listed as an "Optional" one (Well, it was only a Sidebar, which means that in my group). It's your game, folks. I'm just giving suggestions, not telling you how to run your game.
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
Complex? Yes. You can just say that you have a "Blaster Gas Feed" to the Turbolasers from the Main Storage Container and call it a day if you'd like. The rule in "The Far Orbit Project" is listed as an "Optional" one (Well, it was only a Sidebar, which means that in my group). It's your game, folks. I'm just giving suggestions, not telling you how to run your game.

Thats probably what they had on the Death Star 8)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: