The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Firecracker grenades?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Firecracker grenades? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Firecracker grenades? Reply with quote

How do you handle grenade damage?

A frag grenade, physical damage right? Thermal detonators, energy?

How much armour must you wear to benefit from it? Complete or partial?
Do you roll for hit location, and in that case how do you do that? One single hit?

I find that grenades become more or less useless if you give out that physical armour bonus to easy. Also, they are more or less useless against stormtroopers if you go by any 'realistic' stats (ie they are not human minimum in all stats).

Oh, I have a list of more powerful grenades and types, so I can bring out the heavy artillery when I want to.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am picturing a group of Stormtroopers glancing at a hand grenade on the ground nearby and shrugging. Laughing
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Firecracker grenades? Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

That works. My running theory on proton and concussion warheads is that they deliver energy as well; proton delivers a sphere-shaped blast of blaster energy, and concussion delivers a blast of kinetic energy, probably in the form of a repulsorlift or gravity pulse of some kind (I figure the seismic charges in E2 were basically concussion mines).

ZzaphodD wrote:
Do you roll for hit location, and in that case how do you do that? One single hit?

Well, strictly speaking, the only way to get full protection from the armor would be if it covers all the various body points. When facing shrapnel from a frag grenade, your armored vest is going to stop some fragments, but your arms, legs and head aren't going to be so fortunate.

Maybe two separate rolls; one for the armored portions of your anatomy, and one for the unarmored, then split the difference? After all, the armor is going to stop some of the shrapnel.

ZzaphodD wrote:
I find that grenades become more or less useless if you give out that physical armour bonus to easy. Also, they are more or less useless against stormtroopers if you go by any 'realistic' stats (ie they are not human minimum in all stats).

Well, the thing to remember is that that stat makes stormtroopers less likely to get damaged by grenade shrapnel. It doesn't make them immune to it. Realistically speaking, that's one of the advantages of armor is that it makes characters more survivable at the outer ranges of a blast. I recall reading somewhere that the biggest advantage provided by body armor for our troops was the reduction in injuries due to shrapnel.

ZzaphodD wrote:
Oh, I have a list of more powerful grenades and types, so I can bring out the heavy artillery when I want to.

Do tell? My current grenade list is based off the WH40K Rogue Trader grenades.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, lets see if you can paste directly from an excel sheet..and how it works. Going to bed and have no time to format this..
EDIT: Fixed it somewhat.

Code:

Grenades                                   Damage   Blast Rad.     Range       Cost  Avail    Notes
Merr-Sonn C-16 Fragmentation Grenade   5D/4D/3D/2D   0-2/4/6/10   3-7/20/40   200   1, R   
Merr-Sonn C-22 Fragmentation Grenade   5D/4D/3D/2D   0-2/4/6/10   3-7/20/40   250   2, R   Timer up to 20rnds. Weak magnetic grip (not for throwing).
Merr-Sonn D-12 Disc Grenade           5D/4D/3D/2D   0-2/4/6/10   3-10/25/50   300   3, R   

Imperial Munitions M2 Plasma Grenade   8D/5D/4D/3D   0-2/4/6/10   3-7/20/40   900   3, X   
Greff-Timm Incendiary Grenade           4D/3D/2D/1D   0-2/4/6/10   3-7/20/40   300   2, R   Starts fire. Damage until leaves area or 2D6 rounds.
Thermal Grenade                         9D/6D/4D/2D   0-2/6/10/15   3-6/15/25   1000   2, X   
Thermal Detonator                        10D/8D/5D/2D   0-2/8/12/20   3-4/7/12   2000   2, X   
Terminaxx Arms TX-II Nerve Gas Grenade   8D/6D/4D/2D   0-2/5/8/15   3-5/15/30   1000   4, X   Each rnd after first add damage -2D.

Merr-Sonn C-30 Cluster Grenade         5D/4D/3D/2D   0-5/10/15/25   3-5/15/30   500      
Merr-Sonn WW11 Cryoban Grenade        4D/3D/2D/1D   0-3/4/5/6   0-5/10/30   800   2, R   Warm clothing +1D Str. Enviro suit negats.
            If stunned, lasts for 1D minutes. If wounded, add Stun for 1D rnds.      
Imperial Munitions I-5 Ion Grenade   4D/3D/2D/1D   0-2/4/6/10   3-7/20/40   300   2, F   Only affects droids and vehicles. No armour.
Merr-Sonn C-27 Magna Grenade       5D/4D/3D/2D   0-2/4/6/10   3-7/20/40   400   2, X   When thrown becomes very magnetic. If Diff.
                   +5 is rolled, it will stick to metallic surface.
BlasTech SG-2  Smoke Grenade       IR Smoke   0-3/5   3-7/20/40   100       +3D/+2D cover (depending on radius). G146

Merr-Sonn Grenade Classification                  
Class A (For C-16, C-22, D-12 and C-27)   6D/5D/3D/2D   0-2/5/8/12   3-7/20/40    +200   2, R   For example C-16A
Class AA (For C-16, C-22, D-12 and C-27)   7D/5D/3D/2D   0-2/5/8/12   3-7/20/40    +400   2, X   For example D-12AA

Last edited by ZzaphodD on Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:34 pm; edited 22 times in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Firecracker grenades? Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

Frag - Phys
Thermal det - Energy
Stun - Energy
Concussive - phys
HE - Phys
gas - phys

ZzaphodD wrote:

For me, with any grenade, full armor must be worn (or at least more than just torso) to benefit. I don't roll for hit locations.

ZzaphodD wrote:

As is, i agree. That is why you have someone with the Demo skill up their damage (like they would using demo with other explosives), or pair them up. Imagine making a Bola where the 3 'weighted' ends are grenades...
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have crazy stories about running around with plastic bags full of grenades, throwing them like slings. They go back for ages..
(And, if you miss your (now more difficult) target number, the result of the deviation die becomes interensting for all characters in the vicinity..

Perhaps Ill come up with a way of calculating armour values for blast radius attacks. Some kind of average armour with focus on the torso and head.

Regarding Dodge. If I get this right by the RAW, if you manage your dodge roll (beating the opponents Grenade roll) then you suffer NO damage? If so, stupid.

I have really no set system, but dodging in my games put distance between the grenade and the dodger, thereby decreasing damage.

Im thinking of increasing damage from grenades by +1D if you are standing up in the blast area. The first thing a dodge will do is make you hit the deck, decreasing damage by 1D. After that, a better dodge also lets you put distance between you and the grenade thereby decreasing damage as you manage to move into a zone with less damage.
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
We have crazy stories about running around with plastic bags full of grenades, throwing them like slings. They go back for ages..
(And, if you miss your (now more difficult) target number, the result of the deviation die becomes interensting for all characters in the vicinity..

Perhaps Ill come up with a way of calculating armour values for blast radius attacks. Some kind of average armour with focus on the torso and head.

Regarding Dodge. If I get this right by the RAW, if you manage your dodge roll (beating the opponents Grenade roll) then you suffer NO damage? If so, stupid.

I have really no set system, but dodging in my games put distance between the grenade and the dodger, thereby decreasing damage.

Im thinking of increasing damage from grenades by +1D if you are standing up in the blast area. The first thing a dodge will do is make you hit the deck, decreasing damage by 1D. After that, a better dodge also lets you put distance between you and the grenade thereby decreasing damage as you manage to move into a zone with less damage.

dodging around a corner should reduce a frag grenade to stun in most cases i expect.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yup and i agree. Personally i feel if you dodge, you shift yourself 2 blast radiuses away from where you were.. not completely zonk out all damage.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Quote:

Yup and i agree. Personally i feel if you dodge, you shift yourself 2 blast radiuses away from where you were.. not completely zonk out all damage.

I like that rule. You could also make it so that a Dodge shifts you 1 blast radius and a Full Dodge shifts you 2.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Dodge lets the character move a certain number of meters away from the grenade. Better dodge roll = more meters. And they end up prone of course. This might mean one, two or no zones depending on the size of the zones (or even escape completely). This makes some grenades with large zones (ex Thermals) very hard to dodge completely. If you go only by zone, those dodges might mean a very long move indeed.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see a dodge moving you more than the MOVE number of your character though.
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I can't see a dodge moving you more than the MOVE number of your character though.

Since you can go up to half your move without taking an action, use that as the limit for a reaction dodge. If you take a full dodge (a full action), then you can go your full move score.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rerun941 wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Since you can go up to half your move without taking an action, use that as the limit for a reaction dodge. If you take a full dodge (a full action), then you can go your full move score.

That seems about right, maybe even a bit generous. Considering that a character probalby has a second or two to dodge before the grenade explosdes, a half move/full move rule seems about right, assuming the character hasn't already done his movement for the round.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Normally I have that limit, exceptions might of course occur.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now i CAN see you going more than the MOVE of your race after FAILING to dodge a grenade..

AIRBORN Shocked Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: