The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New Adventure Module
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> New Adventure Module Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hazardchris
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: New Adventure Module Reply with quote

I'm putting together a new adventure module based on a session I ran for some players a couple of years ago. I'll be posting occasional updates and progress reports as I progress on it. I lost my original notes so I'm having to recreate the adventure from scratch. Here's the basic gist of the adventure:

After an explosion leaves their ship adrift in space, a group of Rebel heroes have no choice but to scavenge the derelict Imperial Star Destroyer Corruption for replacement parts. Unknown to them, the Corruption holds dark secrets that the Empire would rather forget. Can they survive the Star Destroyer's horrors and escape? Or will they become yet another victim of the Empire's dark experiments?

Let me make you a picture!
hazardchris
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little more information on the adventure.

It was originally inspired more by the Alien films than anything Zombie. Although, many of the same plot elements appeared in Joe Schreiber's Death Troopers. As such, I intend for the module to accommodate those who wish to run a Star Wars Zombie adventure, as well as an unknown horror (although the zombie variant is a tertiary goal, and may get cut).

When I ran the original adventure, I used some mood setters that really helped sell the tone of the adventure. The only lights in the room were a single dim light in the corner and a assortment of flashlights that my players and I had. To top it all off, I had some royalty-free horror movie music playing in the background throughout the adventure.

These elements were all well-received by my players and it really helped immerse the players in the adventure.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds fun. What exactly are the zombies / aliens in this scenario?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look forward to it. Do you plan to post deck plans for the Corruption?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Look forward to it. Do you plan to post deck plans for the Corruption?

If you do, make sure you include all the bathrooms and the janitor's closets. I've always wanted to see a Star Destroyer deckplan with detail.

hazardchris
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning to include sections of of the ship as needed, for as much as I would like, the sheer size of an Star Destroyer makes mapping it impractical, at best.

Black 5
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like there was a Death Star Companion I wish they would have made a similar book for Star Destroyers. It would have been fun to have an entire book dedicated to the different levels and sections of these capital ships.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have loved to see one for all these various cap ships
ISD
VSD
Mon Cal MC-80
Neb-b
Carrack
Lonar
hazardchris
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black 5 wrote:
Just like there was a Death Star Companion I wish they would have made a similar book for Star Destroyers. It would have been fun to have an entire book dedicated to the different levels and sections of these capital ships.

Get out of my head! Shocked

hazardchris
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am considering switching the venue of the adventure to something a bit more manageable than the city-sized Star Destroyer. Here are my current ideas:

- Another smaller vessel like an Acclamator I.

- A smallish space station with a manageable number of decks (a dozen or so).

I originally went with the Star Destroyer because of the iconic overtones inherent in them. But I can see why there are only a handful of adventures that take place on one.

If I do go with my original plan, I think I might have many of the decks be the victim of decompression, making most of the ship uninhabitable.

ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazardchris wrote:
I am considering switching the venue of the adventure to something a bit more manageable than the city-sized Star Destroyer.

If I do go with my original plan, I think I might have many of the decks be the victim of decompression, making most of the ship uninhabitable.

I was just thinking about damaged levels that have been compressed before I read you had the same idea. A derelict Stardestroyer is very cinematic as its the most SW-ish ship out there (perhaps second to the X-wing).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazardchris wrote:

That could be a story factor, where the characters restore pressure to an area to gain access, not knowing that the original crew depressurized sections to cut off the zombies / aliens in another section of the ship.

ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, this seems like an excellent idea for introducing the Tyranids...

What about a camouflaged Lictor hiding among the TIE fighter racks in the hangar bay.... Twisted Evil

hazardchris
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original adventure featured a Derriphan that had been captured and experimented on by the Empire. The Empire's experiments had caused the Derriphan to mutate, giving it a new set of abilities that I'll elaborate on later. Anyways, the Derriphan didn't take it's captivity lying down, and it wasn't long before it broke out and began taking over the crew, slowly killing them as it slowly possessed its way across the ship.

I'm running a variant of the adventure soon, this time with a different monster, and I'll see how it stacks up to the Derriphan. I'm using a Space Wraith trapped in the body of a force-sensitive little girl. The possessed girl was discovered by the Inquisitorius, who attempted to apprehend her without knowing what she had become. They were slaughtered. The second team was headed up by High Inquisitor Tremayne himself, and were successful in containing the wraith -- although there was some evidence that the wraith allowed itself to be captured. It was transferred to the Corruption, a converted research vessel, for further study. While in hyperspace, the wraith attacked, damaging large portions of the ship as it slaughtered most of the crew, while leaving some driven insane by the horrors they saw and the illusions that the wraith projected into their mind.

I've always found something that's completely inhuman to be scarier, that's why I went with the Derriphan the first time. But, I recently sat down with a copy of F.E.A.R. for the first time since it came out and realized just how freaked out I am by the concept of a all-powerful psychotic child is. After that, I hit on the idea of the Wraith.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Hmmm, this seems like an excellent idea for introducing the Tyranids...

What about a camouflaged Lictor hiding among the TIE fighter racks in the hangar bay.... Twisted Evil

Actually, a derelict star destroyer would be the perfect place for your Tyranid centipede concept.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: