The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New Adventure Brainstorming
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> New Adventure Brainstorming Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2E151
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: New Adventure Brainstorming Reply with quote

So I'm going to finally run my first SW adventure in 10 years! D&D and the D20 system is fun, but D6 Star Wars has always been where my heart is.

Anyways, onto the adventure. The time frame is going to be either just prior to ANH or following ANH.

It's going to be a fairly small core group; two players and a GM. Though I will have slots for others who might pass through. (Inner-office group, who knows who might want to stop by for a session or two.)

The players are still developing characters, and while they do that I'm working on the initial story arc.

Since the group is so small, I've allotted them an extra handful of skill dice. But to balance things out they're starting at the bottom of the equipment barrel so to speak. Sporting blaster pistols, Vibroblades, combat jumpsuits and a voucher to top off their transport fuel cells.

Their transport is a derelict Ghtroc 720 that's barely space worthy. The original owners made some quality modifications like replacing the double laser with a double laser turret, and mounting an underside speeder scale blaster. But none of the following owners had any ability to maintain the ship. The cockpit upholstery is less comfortable than a sack of potatoes, the port and starboard sublight engines constantly leak coolant (every time you patch a leak two more spring up), the hyperdrive is in such poor shape it's only safe to operate it at x4, and the backup hyperdrive has been salvaged to keep the primary afloat. Heck, the entire starboard cargo hold is filled with junk used to keep the ship running.

But it's all they have, and without a source of income they'll have to make do. Which brings me to the first story arc; despite whatever grandiose plans they have, they're going to have to get the ship fixed. My hidden agenda here is to build camaraderie between them and a sense of accomplishment from turning the 720 from a flying casket into something formidable.

Without any cash, and a ship no one would trust to ship cargo on they're going to have to turn to salvaging. We're talking boneyards and battlefields; the kinds of places your likely to find adventure (trouble).

My question is, what locations would you suggest? The only idea I'm turning up is Raxis Prime. I've toyed with the Alderaan Graveyard, but really, could you expect to find anything worth salvaging there? Also, perhaps Yavin 4, but then again it would probably be a hive of activity for sometime after the battle.

Any help and input would be greatly appreciated!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: New Adventure Brainstorming Reply with quote

2E151 wrote:
My question is, what locations would you suggest? The only idea I'm turning up is Raxis Prime. I've toyed with the Alderaan Graveyard, but really, could you expect to find anything worth salvaging there? Also, perhaps Yavin 4, but then again it would probably be a hive of activity for sometime after the battle.

Any help and input would be greatly appreciated!

Well, if you're looking for a place to pick up a new starship or parts for the existing one, any of the major smuggler worlds (like Nar Shadda, for instance) will be likely to have junk yards full of wrecked starships and the like. And if all else fails, just make up some random planet name and stick an Ord in front of it, then describe it as one of the Old Republic's Ordnance Regional Depots and see if you can dig up some spares there.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: New Adventure Brainstorming Reply with quote

2E151 wrote:

If you have the WEG Planets Collection there are a couple of planets that may work and that we have used in the past.

Korad in Elrood Sector is a junk planet with a huge collection of scrapped ships, speeders, and other junk that they could scavange for parts. Adventures could include: finding what they need and jury rigging it on their ship; run ins with other scavengers; run ins with minions of a crime boss who are dumping a body.

Atraken has an abandoned colony and IIR a moon base. The planet is has a hostile radioactive environment with really big, hostile bugs. Abandoned ships or salvagable parts could be on the moon or the planet and the players will have to deal with a very hostile environment.

If you are running post Clone Wars, the PCs could try to find a mothballed collection of CIS vessels that were undiscovered by the Empire. The mothballed ships could have still active battle droids or vulture droids as guards.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they go that route, how will they handle 'salvage' jumpers with only 2 people?
2E151
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
If they go that route, how will they handle 'salvage' jumpers with only 2 people?

Well I'm compensating them with some extra initial skill points in order to help balance out not having a normal party size. So they'll be several notches above your average thugs, but they'll still have to play it smart.

Quote:
And if all else fails, just make up some random planet name and stick an Ord in front of it, then describe it as one of the Old Republic's Ordnance Regional Depots and see if you can dig up some spares there.

Wow, I never knew that's what the Ord prefix meant. That should make it a little easier to track something down.

Quote:
Korad in Elrood Sector is a junk planet with a huge collection of scrapped ships

Hmmm, Elrood has a heavy bureaucratic presence doesn't it? Might not be the best sector for shady activities, atleast to start out with
Praxian
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what all you'd like to do.

The PC's will need a couple of things, but Raxis is a bad idea unless both PC's have fairly good technical skills for fixing.

Bespin would be a good place. PC's can make a contract using the "ship" as collateral, in exchange for "ship repairs", they make x runs for Bespin for free. (Say 2 free runs per 10,000 creds in repairs). Then it's easy to come up with ideas of where to send the PC's.

"Today's run brought to you by: Bespin! Today we're delivering Tibanna gas to a guy with the name Solo over in the Yavin system".

With the characters working for an organization, they can build up contacts on they're "Home Base", and if they deliver to repeat customers, they can build a working relationship up with anyone they see often.

If you're not comfortable using various "Canon" places, it really isn't that hard to use planet creation and simply make up a system somewhere in the Mid Rim and place a system there.

Edit:

Just because the players deliver to the rebels, doesn't mean they can't also deliver to the Empire. It's just as easy to deliver gas to the Rebellion and then restock, and have a contract to meet up with the Executor to deliver the gas for things there.
TheDoctor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not make up your own planet or system?

A long time ago (not in a galaxy far, far away), I started creating my own sector. I recently found my old notes for it and used it for an adventure I ran last weekend.

Essentially the PCs discovered rumors of an abandoned Separatist base on the sparsely populated world of Gelroon. Gelroon itself was a quasi-desert world (not Tatooine desert, more like Bakersfield, CA type terrain) with almost no Imperial presence. The settlements on the world are Wild West Like with the various humans and common aliens (Rhodians, Twi-Leks, Sullustans, etc.)

The PCs found that the more accessible parts of the base had already been ransacked, but they ended up finding a hidden cache of Droid Army hardware!

In my adventure, it turned out that the local crime boss had already laid claim on it, but ended up hiring the PCs.

That's just an example of stuff you could make up. Hope it helps!
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2E151 wrote:
Quote:
Korad in Elrood Sector is a junk planet with a huge collection of scrapped ships

Hmmm, Elrood has a heavy bureaucratic presence doesn't it? Might not be the best sector for shady activities, atleast to start out with

Don't let the sector fool you. Elrood the planet is heavily bureaucratic and Derilyn is under martial law but most of the other planets are fairly wide open. Korad has no government and little, if any, permanent population. Lanthrym has a thriving black market and criminal undergound and Kidron is a refuge planet with both a gray market and one city populated and run by refugees.

TheDoctor wrote:
Also agree with this as well.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
2E151 wrote:
Quote:

Don't let the sector fool you. Elrood the planet is heavily bureaucratic and Derilyn is under martial law but most of the other planets are fairly wide open. Korad has no government and little, if any, permanent population. Lanthrym has a thriving black market and criminal undergound and Kidron is a refuge planet with both a gray market and one city populated and run by refugees.

TheDoctor wrote:
Also agree with this as well.

Isnt Kidron also the planet run by that Squib boss? Flying around in a AT-AT/landspeeder b@st@rd*.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Isnt Kidron also the planet run by that Squib boss? Flying around in a AT-AT/landspeeder b@st@rd*.

It's not in the write-up in the Planets Collection. There Kidron is run by the natives, though they allow the City of Refuge which is run by folks in more or less voluntary exile.

Might be in Operation: Elrood that book had a lot of "humourous" aspects to the scenarios. My copy is across the ocean so I can't check it.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2E151 wrote:
Well I'm compensating them with some extra initial skill points in order to help balance out not having a normal party size. So they'll be several notches above your average thugs, but they'll still have to play it smart.

Some additional skill points are all well but still when the hit fits the shan, loss of one of them reduces their effectiveness by 50% rather than 33%, 25%, 20%, 16% etc..
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Some additional skill points are all well but still when the hit fits the shan, loss of one of them reduces their effectiveness by 50% rather than 33%, 25%, 20%, 16% etc..

True. But I've played and run adventures with one or two players. As long as the scenario is designed with that in mind it can work just fine and sometimes allows for much more involved roleplay since air time only needs to be split two ways.

If sheer numbers is a concern, other options include -
    1) adding a few supporting NPCs with skillls/stats inferior to the PCs or
    2) allowing the players to run two PCs each (with possibly one as main PC and one as supporting or backup PC).
2E151
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Praxian wrote:

Bespin would be a good place. PC's can make a contract using the "ship" as collateral, in exchange for "ship repairs", they make x runs for Bespin for free. (Say 2 free runs per 10,000 creds in repairs). Then it's easy to come up with ideas of where to send the PC's.

Never thought about that, I like it.

Quote:
but Raxis is a bad idea unless both PC's have fairly good technical skills for fixing.

Well, I've told both players that they can distribute their points anywhere they want, but its essential that between them they can fly a transport, man the guns, and repair it. I'm hoping one will be the pilot, and the other the engineer/gunner.

Honestly, I can see them making acouple of runs for something akin to the Bespin arrangement, but I have a feeling they will be more inclined to take the pirate/privateer/salvager route. (Even if I did 7K a run they would still need atleast 5 or 6 runs...)

Quote:
adding a few supporting NPCs with skillls/stats inferior to the PCs

I've already got a surly astromech named R2-FU on the hook to liven the situation up.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you going to look at for combat capabilities of these 2? Ground and space wise?
2E151
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
What you going to look at for combat capabilities of these 2? Ground and space wise?

Both players, one a Mandalorian, the other a non affiliated force user, will start off as fairly capable warriors, both on ground and in space. However the counterbalance to that will be a utter lack of equipment or credits. I'm talking about starting out with hold-out blasters and virboblades.

I'm currently fleshing out backstories and working on broad story arcs. (As one player put it yesterday, if he generates a backstory for his Mandalorian the character will end up a BAMF). So I've got no problem working to flesh stuff out.

After getting their ship fixed the Mandalorian's personal goal will be along the lines of locating the family armor on a distant battlefield. Still working on fleshing out the force user. Other than the obvious agenda of avoiding Vader or the Inquisitors I haven't came up with much. (I'm toying with him being a loose cannon clone of Starkiller.)

I know this sounds like a trainwreck of an adventure, but thats why I'm here, to think a loud and iron out the details. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: