The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Prison break adventures
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Prison break adventures Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the pieces of the planet explode outward in all directions, most of the mass would be flying away from the ship.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
As the pieces of the planet explode outward in all directions, most of the mass would be flying away from the ship.
But the center of mass should remain in the same spot. And some of the mass would be flying toward and along with the ship. Maybe the bigger question is: can they outrun the debris wave front?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anything, a planet exploding would actually lose total mass (as some of the component matter would convert to energy as part of whatever catastrophe destroyed the planet in the first place. Collectively, whatever physical remains of the planet remain will have something approaching the mass of the original, but not all of it, so the gravity field will be appropriately reduced, and will also be more diffuse, due to the formerly concentrated mass being scattered.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Whill wrote:
But the center of mass should remain in the same spot. And some of the mass would be flying toward and along with the ship. Maybe the bigger question is: can they outrun the debris wave front?

True..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Whill wrote:

Exactly. I guess I should have been more clear I was responding specifically to this quote:
Quote:
Though wouldn't a planet blowing up screw the gravity in the local area, making hypering out impractical for a few hrs??

I don't think a planet blowing up would make jumping to hyperspace impractical for a few hours. I was thinking something along the lines of:
Quote:
the gravity field will be appropriately reduced, and will also be more diffuse, due to the formerly concentrated mass being scattered.

So yeah, once you get away from the exploding chunks of planet flying in your particular direction, then I think you'd be ok to make the jump.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
So yeah, once you get away from the exploding chunks of planet flying in your particular direction, then I think you'd be ok to make the jump.
Agreed. That makes sense for the folks leaving right after destruction. But it does seem that all the debris in motion will mess with ships trying to jump to Alderaan. As we see for the Falcon.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is true...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Whill wrote:
Agreed. That makes sense for the folks leaving right after destruction. But it does seem that all the debris in motion will mess with ships trying to jump to Alderaan. As we see for the Falcon.

The Falcon didn't seem to have any problems with the actual jump itself, just the fact that they dropped out of hyperspace directly into the meteor shower formerly known as Alderaan. The way I have seen it get played out in the novels is that jumps are precisely timed to end at or near a specific point in a star system, and automatic cut-outs only engage if the ship detects a large mass directly in its path. From what we see in the original movie, everything seemed to be working normally on the Falcon until after the jump was completed.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think the jump would be ok. My thinking is that the ships come out of hyperspace outside of the gravity well of their destination.

It is possible that the Faclon might have been destroyed if it had arrived a bit latter, or maybe sooner, or both. Or maybe the mass detecotrs noticed it at the last instant. This is a case where 99.99% of the trip was successful, so maybe the ship's computer could make aminor adjustment.Perhaps there is even a "margin for error" factoredinto hyperdrive calaculations and the ship can make the transtion back to realspace within a certain distance from it's destination point. I find it hard to believe that there is absolutely no course correction possible. There are way to many variables for the trip to be plotted down to the meter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: