The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Gamemaster's screen?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Gamemaster's screen? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jace_Terrik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you need a gamemaster screen for, anyhow?

To be truthful, the gamemaster is one of those prissy, extra-costing things that I've never gotten around to buying. It's a sort of novelty item, anyway, in my opinion.
There is no chaos; there is harmony.
There is no death; there is the Force.
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like quick-reference sheets, especially for games that I'm A: not totally familiar with yet or B: need constant reference. Deadlands Classic is a good example of B.

There's nothing wrong with having a Star Wars D6 screen around for A.

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jace_Terrik wrote:
Why do you need a gamemaster screen for, anyhow?

To be truthful, the gamemaster is one of those prissy, extra-costing things that I've never gotten around to buying. It's a sort of novelty item, anyway, in my opinion.

As was said above, it's quick-reference. GMs don't have continously be flipping through the rulebook looking for various charts, they can simply turn a few pages to get what their after in a second or less. Plus it offers numerous potential adventures for GMs to use quickly when their not prepared for a session.

Wanted Poster
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quick reference tables for damage in starships and vehicles has always been a help. Also the damage and healing chart is a good thing to have close on hand to keep the game moving quickly.
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I'd like to put together a sheet with the table from Tramp Freighters or Pirates and Privateers, I forget which ... that had the rules for targetting ship systems on an attack roll.

"I attack the engines!"

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally have never used a GM screen. Not for any game I've ever run.

Which of course leads to my NPC villians occasionally getting their butts kicked out of place in the story.

I'd like to think I'm pretty adaptive and can work with anything quickly. So I just change things up. Or throw something in to rescue or bail out the villian.

One nice aspect of it is that I roll my die where the players can usually see the results. This they seem to like as it shows fairness and impartiality. Even when they get killed.

Of course, for the sake of a story I can't always work it that way, so often I'll simply stop rolling die altogether and just tell them what happens. If its a scripted "event".
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use a screen. My players trust me to be fair and I am. There are just to many fun things to do besides the obvious convience of having the charts in front of you. I like to pick up dice and roll them at random times. My players are always like, "Why the heck did he just roll?" Also, when someone gets hit for damage I always like to roll about ten dice (I roll the actual damage as a different color) which keeps combat tense and exciting. They hear the ten dice rolling and think, "Oh god, my character is so dead." I guess it just keeps my players on their toes.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cruel Wink
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MA-3PO wrote:
I always use a screen. My players trust me to be fair and I am. There are just to many fun things to do besides the obvious convience of having the charts in front of you. I like to pick up dice and roll them at random times. My players are always like, "Why the heck did he just roll?" Also, when someone gets hit for damage I always like to roll about ten dice (I roll the actual damage as a different color) which keeps combat tense and exciting. They hear the ten dice rolling and think, "Oh god, my character is so dead." I guess it just keeps my players on their toes.

I used to do stuff like that. I used to sit far enough away that I could get away with that. Still never used a screen.

At some point, and I have no idea when, I just quit doing things like that.
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firehawk0220 wrote:
One nice aspect of it is that I roll my die where the players can usually see the results. This they seem to like as it shows fairness and impartiality. Even when they get killed.

I use a game master screen, but I roll in front of the screen for the PCs to see what's going on (sometimes). The thing to remember is, some players have these rules memorized, difficulties to achieve certain things are etched in their brains; there should be no reason for a person to see the GMs roll and breathe a sigh of relief.

I want them to have to roleplay their successes, as well as their failures. I think it makes for better gaming.
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maximilian Bernas wrote:
Firehawk0220 wrote:

I use a game master screen, but I roll in front of the screen for the PCs to see what's going on (sometimes). The thing to remember is, some players have these rules memorized, difficulties to achieve certain things are etched in their brains; there should be no reason for a person to see the GMs roll and breathe a sigh of relief.

I want them to have to roleplay their successes, as well as their failures. I think it makes for better gaming.

I see what you are saying. For the sake of story and for certain things I do "script events" which I don't let them roll against. Its kind of like what some people do with characters that don't have stats.

We accomplish the same thing, just in a different manner.
Vanion
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(for someone who rarely memorizes charts and tables) I find the old GM screen handy for a lot of the cover modifiers, damage tables, astrogation modifiers, and the old die caps (which I prefer over the later +D/-D system).

I also like using fake die rolls for dramatic, tension building effect. I don't think it's cruel, but I do think it gets the group's attention and builds their excitement.

For the purposes of an adventure... if another ship or character must survive for the sake of the adventure, then I can always use the screen to hide my roles. Some people may say this is cheating, but I don't do it to 'screw over' the characters, I do it to make the adventure better and more exciting. How fun would it be for either the GM or his players if they defeat the campaigne's main villain on the first encounter? (Return of the Jedi certainly wouldn't have been as good if Luke had been able to kill Vader on Cloud City)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: