The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Practical Application for Disturbances in the Force
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Practical Application for Disturbances in the Force Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubt it, as we never saw him worship it in the same manner..
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of artistic inspiration and imagery. It's just a movie.

Merlin was a druid.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanir wrote:
In terms of artistic inspiration and imagery. It's just a movie.

Merlin was a druid.
Well some modern authors think that, but really those are just books or movies. The earliest writings depict him as a wizard and a half-demon, not a druid. But whatever floats the Lady of Shalott's boat is fine with me. - I've probably spent way too much time reading Arthurian tales.

Just to bring us back to the Star Wars forum, remember Henry Jones Sr. was a Grail Scholar as well as Indiana (Harrison Ford) Jones' dad. So Grail Legends might fit somehow into Star Wars. The Mind Harp of Sharu had some grail-like aspects. Which reminds me of these previous threads.

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3357&highlight=indiana+jones

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3299&highlight=indiana+jones

It also makes me think it would be funny to have an Indiana Jones like archeologist in Star Wars who just happened to look a lot like Han Solo without actually being at all related. Characters that met one of them could think, "hey you look kind of familiar" when meeting the other.
Law
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
It also makes me think it would be funny to have an Indiana Jones like archeologist in Star Wars who just happened to look a lot like Han Solo without actually being at all related. Characters that met one of them could think, "hey you look kind of familiar" when meeting the other.

Something like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biJLNXBsjk8
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Law wrote:
Bren wrote:

Something like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biJLNXBsjk8
Exactly. Boba Fett mistaking Indie for Han was perfect.
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, after being pointed here by Esoomain, I have a question(s) that ties back to page 1.

Do passive powers (danger sense etc) count against the 100 or the 45 or what ever the target to shoot below is?

Also, are there ways to minimize your force signature, at least ways a good Jedi could use? I know there are ways that sith can do it (from my 'culling the herd' work) but also couldn't a clever and disciplined Jedi do so also ... but if they are clever and disciplined they shouldn't break the cap to begin with ...

On a side note, couldn't getting a DSP add into the cap some how? It is one thing to have a high roll using a force power (creating a ripple in the force). But, its another when you get a high roll while using the force to drop a tree on the bounty hunter who has been dogging the party for 2 long (making a spike the hunters will inherently recognize as a dark force act).

Forgive all spelling errors.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think that the ripple effect should go both ways and players should be able to sense the dark siders when they roll well not just the other way around.

The debate about this was going strong around page 2-3 and then it diverted and never looked back.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurker wrote:
Do passive powers (danger sense etc) count against the 100 or the 45 or what ever the target to shoot below is?

My feeling is no. Sense is, IMO, a passive effect, listening to what the Force is telling you. Any disturbance would be minimal at best.

With regard to the Jedi being able to mask their Force presence, I have mixed feelings. One possible explanation for Jedi not being able to do this was that to suppress one's presence in the Force was anathema to the Jedi belief in living in harmony with the Force, and that disguising their presence was somehow an abuse of the Force. For a Sith, it wouldn't be an issue.

I do agree that use of a DSP would cause the disturbance to spike, as well as that characters would be able to sense disturbances caused by others.

Haven't revisited this topic in a while; I'm going to have to do some re-reading.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurker wrote:
Ok, after being pointed here by Esoomain, I have a question(s) that ties back to page 1.

Yes. Any force power use, or skill enhanced by the force (enhanced attribute, concentration, battle meld, enhanced coordination, magnify senses) get it.

lurker wrote:

Also, are there ways to minimize your force signature, at least ways a good Jedi could use? I know there are ways that sith can do it (from my 'culling the herd' work) but also couldn't a clever and disciplined Jedi do so also ... but if they are clever and disciplined they shouldn't break the cap to begin with ...

Dark side nexus is iirc the only way to do that.

lurker wrote:
On a side note, couldn't getting a DSP add into the cap some how? It is one thing to have a high roll using a force power (creating a ripple in the force). But, its another when you get a high roll while using the force to drop a tree on the bounty hunter who has been dogging the party for 2 long (making a spike the hunters will inherently recognize as a dark force act).

Interesting point. In Sparks, that is a no (right now). Might have to bring that up as a suggestion though.

Quote:
I also think that the ripple effect should go both ways and players should be able to sense the dark siders when they roll well not just the other way around.

I have had some 'ripples' felt in games i ran, indicating that a force user was somewhere close and had just used the force before. But nothing concrete has been wrote.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:

The debate about this was going strong around page 2-3 and then it diverted and never looked back.

I also agree it should probably go both ways.

And yes, yesterday I read through the whole thread, and was surprised by how far down the rabbit trail the diversion went. Smile
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
And yes, yesterday I read through the whole thread, and was surprised by how far down the rabbit trail the diversion went. Smile

Well, since the topic has gone dormant, we'll follow your lead if you want to get us talking again...

Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Quote:

I have had some 'ripples' felt in games i ran, indicating that a force user was somewhere close and had just used the force before. But nothing concrete has been wrote.

The way I see it there are two ways of doing this.

1) Give all darksiders dicepools, goals/tasks etc... When they roll to achieve tasks if they hit over a threshold (modified by distance) then the players get to see ripples which gives them insight into what just happened.

This is the method I would prefer if I was some sort of computer mainframe and I could run several stories concurrently with the players only knowing what is going on in their story with occasional news snippets telling them what is happening in the wider galaxy.

2) Push it back on the players. Whenever the players roll a sense power (regardless of type) and roll higher than a certain number (again modified by power level and proximity of darksiders) they get some insight into the machinations of the darksiders that they might be able to use to foil those plans. It could even be similar to what happens to the players.

Once - Become known, threshold decreases
Twice - Become well known threshold decreases further
Thrice - Insight, some facet of the darksider's plan is layed bare to the players.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be all for allowing the players to become aware of "really good rolls" by DS characters, but I've never made rolls for the bad guys when they're off-screen (not in a scene with the PCs).

So it would probably end up being GM fiat or something that served the story, where a PC received a 'ripple in the Force' awareness of a Darksider nearby.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm giving this a bump because I'd like to use the Force Vision / Encounter mechanic from the first page as an off-setting rule to help balance out the increased dice levels that result from using the Force Attribute rule. garhkal, you said this was a Sparks rule; do you know where the source material is located, and if so, how I would credit it?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I'm giving this a bump because I'd like to use the Force Vision / Encounter mechanic from the first page as an off-setting rule to help balance out the increased dice levels that result from using the Force Attribute rule. garhkal, you said this was a Sparks rule; do you know where the source material is located, and if so, how I would credit it?

IIRC it was created by our council. If you wish, i can ask one of my friends on the council about it..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: