The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Practical Application for Disturbances in the Force
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Practical Application for Disturbances in the Force Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
Does that mean a force user with a high enough sense skill would always be able to detect nearby juggernaughts like Vader and Empire Palpatine?

I think the key would be if they are bothering to hide themselves. In the prequels, Sidious regularly interacted with powerful Jedi masters who didn't realize he was a Sith Lord until it was too late. After Order 66 and the establishment of the Empire, I doubt Vader even bothered. Sidious, with decades of intrigue and subtlety under his belt, probably still concealed himself to a degree, but IMO, it was more out of habit than anything else. With the Jedi practically wiped out, the Sith had no real need to hide any more.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
For the latter, Sparks made the following up.

Any module(game session) in which you used a force skill, OR force enhanced skill (such as with concentration, enhance attribute (NOT JUST ON A FORCE POINT THOUGH) that you roll over a certain target number, you create a large enough ripple in the force, you become known to the force hunters.
Once that is done, you receive a force vision, showing the hunter(s) as they now start their search for you.
You then mark on your update sheets/information sheets, you are now known to the hunters.

From that point on, if you do the above again (different cap), you gain a force vision. IF you trip the cap a 2nd time in the same GAMING session/module, you trigger a force Encounter.
You then mark down you have received FE1, assuming you survived (FE1 was just a veteran squad of Anti-Jedi tactics trained storm troopers with a single medium e-web for their heavy weapon).
IF you did not trip the cap the 2nd time, you reset back to just being known.

After you have had FE1, if you trip a slightly lower cap (iirc it dropped by 5), you then receive Force Vision 2.
Similar to above, if in the same module/session, that you trigger the vision, you hit the cap again. You now get Force Encounter 2.
FE2 at the time was 2 of the above squads (each 10 man), along with a HEAVY e-web trio of stormies, a Royal Guard Dark Adept, and a Dark jedi (around 6d for each force skill for the RGDA and 8d for the DJ himself). They ambush by landing in 2 lambda shuttles, and await for you.

IF you survive FE2, you mark on your sheet you have had FE2.
After that, if you trip the cap again (which once more has been lowered), you trigger Force vision 3, which showed the Emperor himself, talking to "shadows" to go after you.
If in the same module (YET AGAIN), you trip it a second time, you then get Force Encounter 3.
This was a pair of Shadow Jedi, which are like Ninja Sith.

UNLIKE WITH Force encounter 1 or 2, which the DM can spring on you when others ARE around or can help, FE 3 WILL be sprung at a time and place where you are on your lonesome. The Shadow jedi will do all they can to capture you (knock out, then immobilize with sedative drugs) to bring you to the Emperor. They will ONLY KILL if one of the 2 fall.

If, and this is a big if, you survived FE 3, the very next time you do the Double cap breaking in a session, you have the fourth and last force vision/encounter...
YOU MEET VADER.
Your choice is DIE or TURN... NOTHING ELSE.
If you die, you get to write out how the battle goes, even with you wounding (not killing though) vader if you want.

IIRC the caps were
To become known, 45 initially, 40 after a year of hunters being active in the same system, -5/2 yrs after that.
FE 1 trigger cap = 40
FE 2 trigge cap = 35
FE 3 trigger cap = 30
FE 4 trigger cap = 20.

For each full year the campaign went with out a single force using PC triggering even just a VISION, the caps for all went up by 5. 3 straight years of no vision triggerings, the force hunters move on thinking the area has been purged.

That was the Passive hunt.
\
Then came active force hunting..
. With the Active Hunt anyone who was Known by the Hunters was added to a list and they were assigned dedicated Hunter teams (commensurate with their Force Encounter Level). So they were assumed to have a group of Hunters always only one or two steps behind them constantly in pursuit. If the Force-user was able to keep a low profile long enough the Hunters would give up and stop looking.

The nice thing with that, is the cap goes up tremendously for becomming a NEW jedi to be known to the hunters. You have to trigger the cap at 100!.. or if fighting a dark jedi/sith/dark adept etc, you have to get 100 over what they have rolled (if resisting/fighting)...

BUT once known, your cap is 20. If you trigger it at any time within a year of becoming known to the Emperors force hunter teams, you just get one vision, then VADER!!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

If you can survive/go a year without triggering it, the cap raises up to 50.
If you can go a 2nd straight year, your name is taken off the known list...

What? Is this the rules for a separate game? Laughing
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Esoomian wrote:
Does that mean a force user with a high enough sense skill would always be able to detect nearby juggernaughts like Vader and Empire Palpatine?

I think the key would be if they are bothering to hide themselves. In the prequels, Sidious regularly interacted with powerful Jedi masters who didn't realize he was a Sith Lord until it was too late. After Order 66 and the establishment of the Empire, I doubt Vader even bothered. Sidious, with decades of intrigue and subtlety under his belt, probably still concealed himself to a degree, but IMO, it was more out of habit than anything else. With the Jedi practically wiped out, the Sith had no real need to hide any more.

What Powers would be used for finding Jedis in hiding? I guess Force of Will is neccessary to stay hidden once they know youre out there.. To bad both Jedis in my group went with combat oriented powers and left FoW out.. Twisted Evil
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Powers would be used for finding Jedis in hiding? I guess Force of Will is neccessary to stay hidden once they know youre out there.. To bad both Jedis in my group went with combat oriented powers and left FoW out.. Twisted Evil

Ouch. Evil GM Alert! Wink

I think I would tie it in to Life Sense, which is modified by proximity, unlike Life Detection. A hunter detecting a disturbance in the Force might be able to get a vague sense of the Jedi who created the disturbance. The degree of detail and the exactness of the target's location would depend on how well the hunter rolled his Sense.

My policy as far as introducing new rules is generally to give the character either an extra 1D-2D in the requisite skill or allow them to pick up an appropriate Force ability (like Force of Will) for free. If this rule were in effect at the time of character creation, then the consequences would be on their own heads.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
So it stands to reason that if evil NPCs ever hit 40+ the PCs might also sense them.

And with Palpatine and Vader having such impressive dicepools it might be nice if the PCs occasionally got a flash of what they were doing and roughly where they are.

AFAIK, no.. its only hunters sensing pcs or other npc jedi.

Quote:

WE didn't see Obi wan detect vader in ANH.. only the opposite..

Sense force.. Sense force potential. Sense path..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

If you accept the radio dramas as part of the canon, Obi-wan did detect his presence but still went ahead with his plans. It may even have been part of the reason why he went alone; so that when he did finally encounter Vader, Luke would be somewhere else.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
AFAIK, no.. its only hunters sensing pcs or other npc jedi.

Quote:

Sense force.. Sense force potential. Sense path..
We didn't see any bad guys except Darth or Palpy sense the good guys. It would seem what's good for the goose is good for the gander. Good guys should be able to sense the dark side tremors.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But all though all 6 films, none ever did, except for luke in ROTJ, sensing vader was on the executor..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
But all though all 6 films, none ever did, except for luke in ROTJ, sensing vader was on the executor..

And through all six films, we never saw anyone use a bathroom either. At some point, it becomes necessary to extrapolate what should be possible.

Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Well that's not strictly true we just don't hear any of the good guys talk about it.

Obi-wan doesn't say anything outloud but he certainly acts like seeing Vader isn't a surprise so it's not much of a stretch to say he did sense him but didn't mention it so Luke wouldn't worry. Crmcneil does state that in the radio dramas it was actually states as such. That makes sense to me because in a radio drama you can't see Sir Alec Ginness staring off into the distance and looking concerned so they have to be more explicite about what he is feeling.

Luke does sense Vader on the Executor and the only other good Force user in the original trilogy is Yoda and I imagine he doesn't sense much of anything because he is actively hiding out so he puts a damper on everything he does so as not to be detected.

I think I have to side with Bren here, detecting Force users should not just be restricted to Dark Side NPCs

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.

Last edited by Esoomian on Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
Luke does sense Vader on the Executor and the only other good Force user in the original trilogy is Yoda and I image he doesn't sense much of anything because he is actively hiding out so he puts a damper on everything he does so as not to be detected.

The Black Fleet Crisis posited an interesting theory on that; Yoda was hiding on Dagobah because his presence so close to the Dark Side cave actually canceled each other out.

Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I'd read that also but I'm trying to just use the original trilogy examples for the most part.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
Yes I'd read that also but I'm trying to just use the original trilogy examples for the most part.

Fair enough. The OT may be the one thing we can all agree on (but I'm nt holding my breath). Of course, interpretation of the OT is just as much up in the air as everything else.

Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record I quite like that explanation and do include it in my Star Wars universe and I'd use that Dark Side obfuscation to explain why Yoda doesn't sence much of anything in the wider universe.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So cause of that, it might explain why yoda etc didn't sense palpaltine... his nexus of darksideness was too close to their light sideness and that canceled it out..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: