The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Practical Application for Disturbances in the Force
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Practical Application for Disturbances in the Force Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Practical Application for Disturbances in the Force Reply with quote

Has anyone ever done practical rules for disturbances in the Force? I liked one thing that Timothy Zahn suggested in the Hand of Thrawn duology, that constant active use of the Force disrupted or limited what one could see when using Sense. I'd like to see some rules to the effect that, the more one used Alter and Control, the more difficult their Sense rolls would become. There could be environmental conditions, too, such as a battlefield and all of the attendant death and strong emotions could increase difficulty levels as well.

It'd also be nice to see some concrete rules for the degree to which one's presence is broadcast by regular Force use. This would be especially handy in a Rebellion-era campaign, where a Jedi character would have to keep his use of the Force to the bare minimum or risk having a Star Destroyer or two show up with an Inquisitor or even Darth Vader.

WEG made mention of disturbances in the Force in passing, but never wrote any concrete rules for them apart from general suggestions that could be used as part of a story line. In my experience, this usually means that a GM who is juggling multiple rules and characters will let the idea slide, especially if he has to make up rules as he goes along.

Admittedly, a rule like this would be an additional complication for GM's who already have enough on their plate. However, concrete rules that require your character to limit fun Jedi powers like TK and Affect Mind or risk increased difficulty levels on things like Danger Sense and Farseeing, combined with an increased likelihood that powerful NPC villains will be able to track you down might be something that a GM could use. After all, if you combine these two factors, it gets a lot easier for GMs to spring ambushes and traps on inattentive Jedi.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the latter, Sparks made the following up.

Any module(game session) in which you used a force skill, OR force enhanced skill (such as with concentration, enhance attribute (NOT JUST ON A FORCE POINT THOUGH) that you roll over a certain target number, you create a large enough ripple in the force, you become known to the force hunters.
Once that is done, you receive a force vision, showing the hunter(s) as they now start their search for you.
You then mark on your update sheets/information sheets, you are now known to the hunters.

From that point on, if you do the above again (different cap), you gain a force vision. IF you trip the cap a 2nd time in the same GAMING session/module, you trigger a force Encounter.
You then mark down you have received FE1, assuming you survived (FE1 was just a veteran squad of Anti-Jedi tactics trained storm troopers with a single medium e-web for their heavy weapon).
IF you did not trip the cap the 2nd time, you reset back to just being known.

After you have had FE1, if you trip a slightly lower cap (iirc it dropped by 5), you then receive Force Vision 2.
Similar to above, if in the same module/session, that you trigger the vision, you hit the cap again. You now get Force Encounter 2.
FE2 at the time was 2 of the above squads (each 10 man), along with a HEAVY e-web trio of stormies, a Royal Guard Dark Adept, and a Dark jedi (around 6d for each force skill for the RGDA and 8d for the DJ himself). They ambush by landing in 2 lambda shuttles, and await for you.

IF you survive FE2, you mark on your sheet you have had FE2.
After that, if you trip the cap again (which once more has been lowered), you trigger Force vision 3, which showed the Emperor himself, talking to "shadows" to go after you.
If in the same module (YET AGAIN), you trip it a second time, you then get Force Encounter 3.
This was a pair of Shadow Jedi, which are like Ninja Sith.

UNLIKE WITH Force encounter 1 or 2, which the DM can spring on you when others ARE around or can help, FE 3 WILL be sprung at a time and place where you are on your lonesome. The Shadow jedi will do all they can to capture you (knock out, then immobilize with sedative drugs) to bring you to the Emperor. They will ONLY KILL if one of the 2 fall.

If, and this is a big if, you survived FE 3, the very next time you do the Double cap breaking in a session, you have the fourth and last force vision/encounter...
YOU MEET VADER.
Your choice is DIE or TURN... NOTHING ELSE.
If you die, you get to write out how the battle goes, even with you wounding (not killing though) vader if you want.

IIRC the caps were
To become known, 45 initially, 40 after a year of hunters being active in the same system, -5/2 yrs after that.
FE 1 trigger cap = 40
FE 2 trigge cap = 35
FE 3 trigger cap = 30
FE 4 trigger cap = 20.

For each full year the campaign went with out a single force using PC triggering even just a VISION, the caps for all went up by 5. 3 straight years of no vision triggerings, the force hunters move on thinking the area has been purged.

That was the Passive hunt.
\
Then came active force hunting..
. With the Active Hunt anyone who was Known by the Hunters was added to a list and they were assigned dedicated Hunter teams (commensurate with their Force Encounter Level). So they were assumed to have a group of Hunters always only one or two steps behind them constantly in pursuit. If the Force-user was able to keep a low profile long enough the Hunters would give up and stop looking.

The nice thing with that, is the cap goes up tremendously for becomming a NEW jedi to be known to the hunters. You have to trigger the cap at 100!.. or if fighting a dark jedi/sith/dark adept etc, you have to get 100 over what they have rolled (if resisting/fighting)...

BUT once known, your cap is 20. If you trigger it at any time within a year of becoming known to the Emperors force hunter teams, you just get one vision, then VADER!!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

If you can survive/go a year without triggering it, the cap raises up to 50.
If you can go a 2nd straight year, your name is taken off the known list...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. Has Sparks ever done anything for having active Force use make Sense more difficult?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEIT mein comrade!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thoughts on that side of things. I like the Sparks rules, but I think I would probably make an exception for Sense-only powers, as Sense to me has always been a more passive approach, as though one were merely listening to what the Force says rather than actively trying to manipulate it.

Maybe the two could be linked, in that for every FE you receive, the difficulty for Sense powers goes up by one level because the disturbance in the Force also blurs the Jedi's perception of it.

Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So to look at it from another angle does the Sparks group have any rules for how a non Dark Side, Non Hunter PC might feel a disturbance in the Force?

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
So to look at it from another angle does the Sparks group have any rules for how a non Dark Side, Non Hunter PC might feel a disturbance in the Force?

Good point. A Jedi PC would be able to sense if someone else was using the Force and creating disturbances.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure... i know some gms have had it that if a force user hits 40+ whether hunt on or not, other pc force uers in the same system feel them.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it stands to reason that if evil NPCs ever hit 40+ the PCs might also sense them.

And with Palpatine and Vader having such impressive dicepools it might be nice if the PCs occasionally got a flash of what they were doing and roughly where they are.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also have to factor in that Sith may have some methods of concealing themselves from other Force users, so they may not be as easy to detect as the average FSPC.

Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps but it they may not be using them, particularly if they're acting in a hunter type role as they may be able to determine who may have Force Potential by who reacts to the ripples they're sending out.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
Perhaps but it they may not be using them, particularly if they're acting in a hunter type role as they may be able to determine who may have Force Potential by who reacts to the ripples they're sending out.

I think that would depend on the methods the hunters use to track. If they're close enough to see someone suddenly get up and leave a room or something, sure, but I would think being able to sense a disturbance in the Force would extend beyond line of sight. If a Jedi was created a disturbance per the Sparks rules, but had been living quietly since then, detected a disturbance in the Force nearby (say, within the same city), he could just get up and walk away with a fair chance of avoiding detection, enacting whatever his escape plan is and just vanish, and the hunters would've lost their chance to catch their prey because they broadcast their presence.

Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
You also have to factor in that Sith may have some methods of concealing themselves from other Force users, so they may not be as easy to detect as the average FSPC.

Esoomian wrote:

crmcneill wrote:
I think that would depend on the methods the hunters use to track. If they're close enough to see someone suddenly get up and leave a room or something, sure, but I would think being able to sense a disturbance in the Force would extend beyond line of sight. If a Jedi was created a disturbance per the Sparks rules, but had been living quietly since then, detected a disturbance in the Force nearby (say, within the same city), he could just get up and walk away with a fair chance of avoiding detection, enacting whatever his escape plan is and just vanish, and the hunters would've lost their chance to catch their prey because they broadcast their presence.

Yes but the Hunters may not be targeting or watching the players they may be targeting a different Force User and in allowing themselves to be detected they may inadvertantly alert others in the area. They may also have ties to local beuaracracy and simply look at people who made a significant life change in the timeframe when their ripples may have been felt.

Also it makes sense to me that if you want to do something undetectibly then it's harder to do than just doing it normally so even if they have some Sith power that makes their Force use harder to detect it would (at the very least) involve MAPs so if they're engaging a Force user with a mastery level that is on par with their own then they simply may not be able to succeed and remain undetectible at the same time.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
Yes but the Hunters may not be targeting or watching the players they may be targeting a different Force User and in allowing themselves to be detected they may inadvertantly alert others in the area.

The problem I see here is that, if the Jedi are "all but extinct" in a galaxy with a million or more inhabited planets, and there were roughly ten thousand of them at their height of influence (roughly 1 for every 100 inhabited planets), they are even more scattered now. The odds of running into one trained Force sensitive on a planet where you just happened to be searching for another one would be so astronomical that I would have a hard time seeing someone using this tactic deliberately. There could be other uses, though...

Quote:
They may also have ties to local beuaracracy and simply look at people who made a significant life change in the timeframe when their ripples may have been felt.

I'm sure that Imperial Jedi Hunters would have more than sufficient access to a planet's bureaucracy that they would be able to track that information after the fact. What you suggest would certainly be a risk if the Empire's data networks were as proficient as what you might find in modern Earth law enforcement, with the internet and VICAP and such. I don't see that being the case in the SWU, though. It seems to be a lot easier to slip through the cracks and vanish without a trace there than it is here. The hunters might get information; how long someone has been at an address, what the person looks like, etc. But it wouldn't necessarily be enough to get a good fix on where that person was headed next.

In fact, if the Jedi were living off the grid somewhere (ala Obi-wan and Yoda), there could be no official record of his presence at all. As for player characters, who are constantly on the move from planet to planet anyway, the fact that the crew of a light freighter shipped out on a run would likely not attract any official notice (unless they dropped everything and ran out in a panic, which is something a wise crew should be smart enough to avoid).

Quote:
Also it makes sense to me that if you want to do something undetectibly then it's harder to do than just doing it normally so even if they have some Sith power that makes their Force use harder to detect it would (at the very least) involve MAPs so if they're engaging a Force user with a mastery level that is on par with their own then they simply may not be able to succeed and remain undetectible at the same time.

Well, there will always be a point where the hunter will reveal himself. At that point, there would be no reason to maintain the camouflage. I picture a Jedi hunter doing everything he can to conceal his presence, using a high-ranking Imperial ID to gather information, and primarily using passive Sense skills to locate his quarry. Only when he is close enough to strike does he reveal himself and force a confrontation. The deliberate, obvious "It doesn't matter if you run" approach seems like something you would face with Vader, but that's more because Vader is a juggernaut. Other lesser Force users have to be more subtle.

Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
The deliberate, obvious "It doesn't matter if you run" approach seems like something you would face with Vader, but that's more because Vader is a juggernaut. Other lesser Force users have to be more subtle.

Does that mean a force user with a high enough sense skill would always be able to detect nearby juggernaughts like Vader and Empire Palpatine?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: